Putting a photo on RMweb

Hi everyone

Maybe a silly question but I've no idea how to put photos on RMweb. I have a topic which I occasionally update about our new club layout and I've taken a few photos that I'd like to share with the RMweb world.

Can anyone give me a clue please. I assume there's somewhere where I press a button and copy and paste the name of the file but I just can't find it.

• RMweb Premium

There is also a restriction on the types of file you can upload.

Most people use Jpeg's  (*.jpg) they seem pretty reliable when uploading.

If your files are of another format use an photo edit program to open them and then save as a suitable file size jpg.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

You can attach jpg or png files up to 500kb (and in theory up to 1mb although the larger ones have caused issues in the system at times) when using the full reply window.  Click the "Reply with attachments" button rather than the "Reply" one.  Below that window is a paperclip icon and a "Choose Files" button.  That will allow you to select files stored on your computer which then upload to RMweb.  Once uploaded there is a "Add to post" button which you use with the cursor in the spot where you want the image to appear; what appears as you type is the text link to the attachment but the image itself will appear when you post by hitting "Add Reply"

You can also use a third-party image hosting service such as Flickr, SmugMug or Photobucket.  Here you upload your images to the host site and are only limited by what your account will permit in terms of file size.  Most of my images come off the camera at anything between 2 - 5 MB for example so I use SmugMug to host them as they are too big to upload here.

Select your image once it is hosted and copy the link provided.  Then at the top of the RMweb reply window click on the image icon which is the blue/green square and which contains a tree for those with good vision / monitor resolution.  This opens a pop-up box into which you paste the link.  Clicking OK will then insert the image wherever you have the cursor in your post.

A third method is to type the image tags longhand.  Copy the link from a host site then go directly back to the reply window.  Type img  Don't use the spaces - I have to include them so you see the code.  Do use the square brackets as no others work.

• RMweb Gold

Most of my images come off the camera at anything between 2 - 5 MB for example so I use SmugMug to host them as they are too big to upload here.

Hi Rick,

There is no need to use an external site such as SmugMug or Photobucket -- RMweb has its very own Image Editor to prepare photos for posting on RMweb. They will then load much faster and not prevent the page from working if the external server is down.

I have posted this stuff a few times before, but here it is again:

To use the Image Editor click this link at the top of every page:

post-1103-0-79131900-1438467921.png

Here's how to use it:

1. click this:

post-1103-0-67116500-1366207582.png

2.Find the picture on your computer and click on it:

post-1103-0-13870800-1366207581_thumb.pn

It will open in the editor.

3. If you wish you can add a copyright notice, or any other text or mark-up. Click the A button on the left and add your text in the box which appears:

post-1103-0-04749600-1366207579_thumb.jp

4. Click Image size in the Image menu:

post-1103-0-89011400-1366207575_thumb.jp

5. Set the required size in the box which appears. 800 x 600 is good for general pics:

post-1103-0-71184800-1366207572.png

6. Click Save... in the File menu:

post-1103-0-80201000-1366207570.png

7. Choose My Computer as the destination. If it is a photo from a camera, choose JPEG as the format. Slide the Quality compression control until the image size shows as less than about 250KB. Click OK:

post-1103-0-35909600-1366207567.png

8. You can then choose where you want to save it on your computer. And finally upload it to RMweb:

post-1103-0-06070400-1366208378.jpg

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Does the RMWeb editor allow such things as Bitmaps, or items saved in proprietary formats?

Hi Keith,

Input formats allowed are JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PSD, PXD.

Output formats available are: JPG, PNG, BMP, TIFF, PXD.

It's best to use JPG for photos, and PNG for screenshots, track plans, drawings and diagrams.

regards,

Martin.

Keith,

if you want to upload a format not supported by the RMWeb-system, try IRFANVIEW. This program enables you to read a lot of other formats (incl. RAW-files) and to convert them to a format acceptable to the system.

Regards

Armin

• RMweb Premium

Keith,

if you want to upload a format not supported by the RMWeb-system, try IRFANVIEW. This program enables you to read a lot of other formats (incl. RAW-files) and to convert them to a format acceptable to the system.

Regards

Armin

I've got Corel Photopaint X6 as well as a couple of versions of Photoshop so converting file formats is no real problem.

It's just knowing whether the picture I have needs to be converted or not!

Keith

Thanks everybody. Glad that the information seems to have helped other people too. Also pleased that I'm not the only one who didn't know.

As a rule I still don't properly understand the sizing of digital photos but I'll have a go at what's been shown in a few days.

Thanks again people.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Please someone explain how I can get uploaded photos to appear at specific points in the text of my post. All that seems to happen is that they all get appended at the end of the text.

Thanks in advance!

Once you've added your photos to the post you will see a box appear with a thumbnail of the post and an option "add to post". If you click in your posting at the point you want the photo to appear and then click the Add To Post text the photo will be inserted at that point.

HTH

Andi

Thank you. That's exactly what I thought should happen but it doesn't work. Nothing appears where I place the cursor, and when I post the photo is at the end of the text. :scratchhead:

Here we go, let's try again - I choose files. Pick one from my photo library.

Put the cursor HERE >

Clicked Add to Post

Let's see where it appears when I post

x

x

x

x

x

John

post-27939-0-90241200-1451759854_thumb.jpg

When I do it, I see a text line appear in my text entry form like the example below - except that the real thing is in square brackets and acts to load the photo at that point in the message:

attachment=661824:City of Truro.jpg

Are you not seeing anything like this?

Screenshot:

post-19820-0-80364200-1451761767.jpg

Mike

(Edited to add screenshot)

Hello Mike

No, I see no text appear at my attachment point. I am running Win 7, and IE 11. Lots of other things don't work for me in the text editor - I cannot paste (or at least it does paste, but I can't see the text) and I can't block delete. But it is the image problem which is really hanging me up.

John

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike

No, I see no text appear at my attachment point. I am running Win 7, and IE 11. Lots of other things don't work for me in the text editor - I cannot paste (or at least it does paste, but I can't see the text) and I can't block delete. But it is the image problem which is really hanging me up.

John

Internet Explorer can and does cause some problems with RMWeb.   In the end I changed to Chrome .

David

Test with Windows 7 and IE11

NOPE - no text appears

It doesn't work for me either!!!

It looks as though IE11 is the culprit - I kept getting a box popping up telling me it wants to use a program called '32/64-bit Thumbnail Bridge'.  I clicked 'Allow' but the box kept appearing.

I usually use Firefox (with Win 7) and everything works ok.

Mike

post-19820-0-31404800-1451766036.jpg

Well, that is a bit ridiculous - Win 7 onwards and IE is the most widely used PC platform. All the other Forums I frequent work just fine posting multiple images etc. That is a real disappointment, I had a piece prepared showing some previous layouts that I built and that looks like the end of it  . . .

• RMweb Gold

Well, that is a bit ridiculous - Win 7 onwards and IE is the most widely used PC platform. All the other Forums I frequent work just fine posting multiple images etc. That is a real disappointment, I had a piece prepared showing some previous layouts that I built and that looks like the end of it  . . .

Hi John,

IE usually works if you change to the earlier 2013 theme. Extreme bottom left of every page, Change Theme.

Generally when in doubt, use Firefox instead of IE. It just works.

p.s. make sure you haven't accidentally clicked the formatting switch on the editor (button above the B bold button). It's a toggle on-off switch.

regards,

Martin.

Archived