db stobart 66048 in major trouble

• RMweb Premium

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8440298.stm

Northern Constabulary and emergency services have been called to deal with a

freight train derailment at Carrbridge train station.

The incident happened shortly after 1605 GMT.

The freight train had two people on board. One sustained minor injuries and was

treated at the scene.

British Transport Police said it expected that there would be disruption to rail

services and possibly to roads for emergency service vehicles.

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Nasty looking mess:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roybrown/

Glad to hear that train crew are all ok though. Lucky escape, the crash impact resistance built into the 66's cabs must be better than was the case on 47's etc. Am I imagining it or are some of those containers sitting on the line next to the wagons they are supposed to be on?

Snow looks really terrible, us Southerners complain about a few flakes, they should take a look at this lot and be thankful.

Yeah they seem to have unloaded themselves in the process, it does end up looking a bit wierd but i'd guess the platform face has kept it and the wagon facing the same way, they obviously hit the ground moving as they have "snowploughed" themselves up a big pile of the white stuff on the way!

Glad the crew are okay, it all looks a bit of a mess up there!

Somewhat bad luck for day 1 of a new contract. ohmy.gif

If its not already been mentioned it was brake failure and TPWS failure due to frozen relays and no snow clearing made train hit snow go up in air and shoot down the hill probably destroyed the deflector and bent a frame in side could be a right of who knows?

Guest eddie reffin

All this as fact while it's still in the hedge. Who needs the RAIB? mellow.gif

Quite right Jamie.

What exactly is the basis for the previous posters information? There would have been a number of other lighter trains over this piece of track today including the 37 on plough duties and none of them "went up in the air" Thoughts go to the crew involved and the Emergency crews trying to deal with this in the awful conditions we have been having over the past 2 weeks.

Eddie

• RMweb Premium

Quite right Jamie.

What exactly is the basis for the previous posters information? There would have been a number of other lighter trains over this piece of track today including the 37 on plough duties and none of them "went up in the air" Thoughts go to the crew involved and the Emergency crews trying to deal with this in the awful conditions we have been having over the past 2 weeks.

Eddie

Well said Eddie.

I'm heading up there in the morning with our (Network Rail's) incident command unit from Motherwell, hopefully it'll be an ok drive up the A9, had originally been primed to go up leaving at 2am but it later changed to 9am.

Craig

First of all good to hear the crew are ok, always the number one consideration.

Must have been quite a ride!

Working in the container/freight industry I'm amazed that any design of wagon has

a "non-active" container securing method. In most cases a twistlock will hold a

container/swopbody onto a wagon, unlike here!

Hope 66048 is repairable, although not the greatest fan of 66s, it's always sad to

hear of a loco being written off. Shame too about all the work that went into the

re-livery. Photos of 66048 pre-acccident in the Stobart livery will be reasonably

rare? Much in the similar vein to the unfortunate FL 66 (66521 I think from memory.

Anthony

There was an investigation into spigots after the cases of containers blowing off wagons a couple of years ago. It concluded that some of them were not properly set up and if used correctly they would restrain all the normal forces of riding on a wagon. However they can't be expected to restrain the container in a derailment situation (nor can a spigot) and in fact it probably minimises damage if the containers jump off rather than creating excessive forces around the fixings.

As to the loco, should it be renamed "Eddie the Eagle Edwards"?

Guest Max Stafford

My thoughts are going out to the recovery crews, looks like they've got a few tough days in front of them clearing the job up.

Stay warm where you can, guys!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to hear the Crew were ok

A short video of the aftermath of the Carrbridge derailment.

This now appears to work again

http://www.roybrown....eo/P1030735.MOV

There was an instruction for that hill that they have to do a 10mph reduction in speed, to test brakes, every 3 -4 minutes after a Sprinter did the same 15 or so years ago. We heard they were following the snowplough so the track would have been clear. It derailed on the catch point protecting the station as it slid past the signal at danger.

edit added 6-1-10

The instruction for the hill was in place in the 1990's confirmed by a member of rail staff who used the document concerned.

It's just neeb on C4 news. Properly down the embankment in the tress. It's gonna take some recovering. I can't see them trying too hard until the weather eases at least. Does that mean the 'Tesco Express' will be cancelled for now or will DBS just chuck another loco on it?

It's just neeb on C4 news. Properly down the embankment in the tress. It's gonna take some recovering. I can't see them trying too hard until the weather eases at least. Does that mean the 'Tesco Express' will be cancelled for now or will DBS just chuck another loco on it?

You don't just cancel the whole service because you've lost one loco! More important constraints would be the availability of wagons and containers, and alternative routing for the service.

I do wonder if DBS are going to be bringing back any of the 66s they sent to ECR- I say this as I saw about ten of them laid up at Frethun on my waay to work a couple of days ago.

• RMweb Premium

You don't just cancel the whole service because you've lost one loco! More important constraints would be the availability of wagons and containers, and alternative routing for the service.

I do wonder if DBS are going to be bringing back any of the 66s they sent to ECR- I say this as I saw about ten of them laid up at Frethun on my waay to work a couple of days ago.

The alternative route for the service is via Aberdeen but it's blocked tonight too!

As this also affects the sleepers Scotrail are using the Inverness sleeper stock as a temporary hotel in Inverness station tonight as the A9 road is also now closed!

On my way up and back down from Carrbridge today I passed around 10 lorries with the Stobart Rail containers on the back.

Cheers

Craig

It's probably best not to comment further on the cause of the accident until the RAIB have made their report. This is common practice on other rail websites and prevents wild speculation, especially where a criminal prosecution could happen!

I'm glad to hear the crew are ok. I can't see Stobart throwing in the contract, after all, they don't do so when one of their lorries has a prang. They sign the contract for a fixed period, so to chuck it in would probably cost them for said breach!

Don't envy them the job of rescuing that lot. Just getting to it is going to be a nightmare. Well done to Craig just for managing to get there and back.

Even without the horrible conditions, it's gonna be a big job to get the loco out of that predicament, never mind trying to sort the track under all that snow and ice. Guess the line via Aberdeen (if passable!) is going to be a bit busier for a while.

Archived