Lewes - Network SouthEast in 1987

South Central

I am embarking on modelling Lewes station, which as some will know is a junction station in East Sussex on the line between Brighton and Eastbourne/Seaford/Hastings (nowadays known as the East Coastway line).

I have chosen to model Lewes in 1987 specifically, because the 1986-87 timetable was particularly operationally interesting for a number of services. Firstly, it was the sole year that InterCity operated a Manchester Piccadilly-Newhaven Marine service (albeit non-stop through Lewes) to connect with Newhaven-Dieppe ferry services and using Class 47/4s and mk 2's. Also in the timetable were conventional Newhaven boat trains to/from Victoria, some splitting and joining of Seaford portions on/off London trains, class 73-hauled newspaper trains and a couple of DEMU passenger workings to convey 3H and 3D units to/from St Leonards West Marina depot for maintenance.

I would like to run the layout to timetable so as to capture the many connecting local/London services which called at Lewes, and some splitting and joining. First and foremost a huge thanks to RMweb user acg5324 for sorting me out with a WTT for the year in question!

Progress is going to be very slow, but I have made a modest start on scratchbuilding...

DSCF2440_zpswjebzziu.jpg

DSCF2441_zpsmweapfau.jpg

This will be the structure on platforms 4/5, the Brighton platforms. A near identical building is found opposite on platform 3, differing only in the curvature of the canopy.

DSCF2444_zps3fpm31el.jpg

DSCF2443_zpsmd3cwqq7.jpg

Here is the first item of rolling stock, a Hornby 4VEP. It has received Network SouthEast embellishments to date the model nicely in 1987, and will subsequently be renumbered to a suitable Brighton-allocated unit. 

So there's a start! Lots to come eventually which I hope will be interesting... a 4CIG from MJT sides on a Replica donor body, running on a Bachmann 4CEP chassis...a 3H and 3D from DC Kits...another Hornby VEP repainted into early NSE livery...a rake of InterCity mk 2's...

Advice, pointers, and especially any memories/photos all very warmly received

• 4 months later...

Happy new year all,

While the past six months have largely been taken up with building 1963 stock units to join the VEP above (incidentally, 1702 in Jaffa cake is almost complete, with my early NSE CIG and B/G BIG making steady progress), a new year seems like a good time to get back to scratchbuilding some more structures for Lewes, specifically continuing with the installations on the 'Branch'/'Brighton' platforms, numbers 3,4 and 5.

With the network a bit quieter over the new year period, this prompted a little field trip with the tape measure...

Starting point was a few miles down the Seaford branch at Newhaven Harbour, familiar territory for Colin Parks if you're reading! 

temporary_zpsf7thpkph.jpg

With some time to spare before my class 313 service arrived I took a little wander down to Newhaven Marine for a recce. Now devoid of its canopy, I intended to photograph/measure as much as possible in case anything else is knocked down with the view of a possible future scratchbuild, but bang on cue the heavens opened...however, I shall return as I have visions of a modest static diorama of the station building, with a Sealink ferry and linkspan to the right and a couple of CIG coaches as a boat train to the left, with the long-gone huge orange "tango" or "giraffe" container crane on the backscene. But I digress!

Newhaven Harbour is unstaffed and devoid of a ticket machine so one of these increasingly rare BR relics was needed.

temporary_zpsydgrtqxd.jpg

Upon arriving at Lewes, the first building to tackle was the lift house:

temporary_zpssd2s4l5z.jpg

The structure now houses a modern passenger lift, but older pictures from the seventies and eighties show that my scratchbuild will need some older concertina doors, as fitted to many parcels/luggage lifts in the day. I think a similar assembly remains on the disused Royal Mail lift at Redhill? The cladding boards are 6in wide including the gap, so a quick board-counting exercise soon wil reveal a total height ready for scaling down to 4mm/1ft scale.

Next up was the footbridge:

temporary_zpsdpaykrpy.jpg

The station was undergoing some work at the time - the main overall roof in the 'vee' of the junction was totally clad in scaffolding - and the footbridge here had lost its planking behind the latticework, replaced (temporarily I hope!) with some much less attractive marine ply. Again, photos from circa '87 show the windows to be different to the PVC double-glazed examples seen here, but they appear to be the near-same size. The different sized latticework in different openings will have to be faithfully replicated. 

This is what the stairs down to platform level look like, these are the ones to platform 3:

temporary_zpsmrakolnu.jpg

The joy of modelling Lewes is that provided these structures go together well, the same techniques can be used to build the footbridge over the London platforms, the walkway linking both footbridges running along the booking hall, and the steps down to platform 1 and to platform 2. There is also another lift house on platform one.

Anyway, armed with a set of sharp blades and a stack of 20 thou, 10 thou, embossed plasticard, plastic rod and microstrip, it's time to get building...

Sounds like a great plan.

Just to let you know for all intents and purposes the DC Kits range is now out of production. Charlie has said that there are no immediate plans to bring them back into production due to dwindling sales of kits.

• RMweb Gold

Lewes is a splendid location to model. Services, setting, track layout are all more interesting than most. A few infrastructure simplifications had happened well before 1987, so it is marginally less challenging than the same station in the '50s, but still spectacular enough.

The folding doors on the lift may have been a Bostwick Gate, very popular in Southern locations.

The weather wasn't too kind to you was it!

I live in Uckfield so not far away for me

Paul R

Hi Paul, I think given the rate i'm rattling things off my workbench, you might be able to catch a direct train down to the real Lewes by the time this layout is up and running! 

Hi South Central,

Looking forward to seeing the EMUs you are preparing for your layout. The station building is coming along nicely. You are very brave in tackling such a complicated station complex!

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin, there are now three different-coloured CIGs and a BIG 'in works' at various stages of completion, although hopefully they should all be nearing completion within the next couple of months. After that though it'll be DEMU's next - a pair of 'Hampshire' 3Hs to rumble back and forth between St Leonards and the Oxted Lines. When I do return to EMUs, i'd like another Hornby VEP to repaint in early NSE, and then think about refurbished 4CEPs for the occasional diverted Hastings line working, plus the morning 'up' and night 'down' Newhaven boat trains in the company of an MLV. After that it gets really tricky...a Bulleid-type 4EPB for that curious Redhill-Brighton-Eastbourne parcels trip. Alas the 4CAPs left the Coastway for East Kent three years previous I believe. Anyway, hopefully plenty to look forward to.

As for the buildings, I tried thinking of Lewes as two station projects (namely the 'Brighton' platforms and the 'London' platforms) and it didn't seem too daunting, then I remember the vast metal and glass behemoth in between! Oh, and then the signal box, road bridges, tunnel mouth...*sighs*

Just to let you know for all intents and purposes the DC Kits range is now out of production. Charlie has said that there are no immediate plans to bring them back into production due to dwindling sales of kits.

Having badgered Charlie throughout 2015, i'd sadly come to that conclusion too. I have tracked down a DC 6L 'Hastings' to build as 202001 ex 1013, the lucky one rescued from storage at Ore for a stay of execution on the Oxted Lines, but sourcing a 3D 'Oxted' kit is proving far trickier...any help appreciated!

Lewes is a splendid location to model. Services, setting, track layout are all more interesting than most. A few infrastructure simplifications had happened well before 1987, so it is marginally less challenging than the same station in the '50s, but still spectacular enough.

The folding doors on the lift may have been a Bostwick Gate, very popular in Southern locations.

That reminds me of my ol' chap when I told him I was modelling Lewes: "oh excellent, i'll go and get my 'Schools' out the loft!"

A steam era model of Lewes would indeed be extremely imposing, with the Uckfield lines, eight platform faces, and all those semaphores. One thing I did have in mind though was that a 1987 condition model could however be brought forward in time quite easily, with only a coat of paint on the doors (blue for Connex, green for Southern), new signage and new platform lamps. The only structural change was on platform 1 I believe, with the platform buildings/canopy demolished and a new 'W' shaped canopy in their place (anyone know when this happened?). If a RTR 'Electrostar' ever came out, alongside some 313s and 442s, I might just be tempted one day...

• 3 weeks later...

Something a bit footbridge-shaped coming together...

DSCF2492_zpsabthlx8l.jpg

A cathedral of microstrip - making lattice is a chore, it started out quite therapeutic but that soon faded! The rivet detail was cut off an embossed sheet in appropriate strips. The LBSCR support stanchions were, from a modeller's perspective, emblazoned with just the right amount of 'fiddly' detail. Any more complex and I might have looked at 3D printing. The short window section shows a bit of what's to come. I'm going to tweak the design a bit however to make glazing easier. Then the two staircases will follow. 

DSCF2491_zps9hjcwwl2.jpg[/

The lift house came together quite quickly. A few black-and-white photo's from the 60's/70s helped reveal how the erstwhile lift doors looked. A nice bit of rail alphabet on the sign, which still survives on the real thing aged 45+ years old! The little hole on the left-most door panel is some sort of inspection window, and some perspex will go in after the final varnish. The electrical conduit to nowhere will eventually run to a lamp, and two posters need to go on the access ladder side. 

DSCF2489_zpsnpkypugl.jpg

The dull white and dirty black colour scheme is really dreary, but such is the price we pay for modelling a real location. For all their sins, Connex's royal blue paint certainly cheered this footbridge up. Incidentally this has just recently been wire-brushed off as part of a wider station refurb project. What the new colour scheme will be I don't know, but some Southern dark green would sit nicely on that ironwork in my opinion. 

Elsewhere i've built and primed a forth MJT/Replica four car unit, namely a 4CIG to go in blue and grey. Jaffa cake CIG 1702 will soon be the first of the four to be completed (hurrah!) once it's seats have had their last coat of sexy purple paint, and a Mk 2d TSO has appeared on the workbench for conversion to a RMB(T) for my cross-country rake. I've got some dear little 'Newhaven Marine' and 'Manchester Piccadilly' window labels printed for this and future Mk 2s, but more on all that later!

Alas, these dark evenings won't last much longer...

• 4 weeks later...

Really good progress.

Ive just embarked on a 1989 based kent layout so il be watching this with much interest!

Mark

Thank you kindly Mark! I've been glancing at your layout thread as well, seeing as we're both working in the same kinda era. Looking forward to seeing your layout and rolling stock collection develop :) 

• RMweb Premium

It's a brave man that tackles somewhere as relatively large and complex as Lewes.  A respectable start has been made judging by the above photos.

Lewes once had eight platform faces but by 1987 was down to four.  The down London-side bay which was platform 1, the double-faced single-track on the down Brighton which were platforms 4 and 5 and the up Brighton loop which was platform 8 had gone with the remainder numbered 1-4 across the station.

Services were almost exclusively EMU units with the exceptions OP already notes.  4Vep and 4Cig units worked Brighton - Lewes / Seaford / Eastbourne / Hastings (usually through to Ore) stoppers and 4Cig with 4Big units worked the Victoria - Eastbourne service with the 4Cig continuing to Hastings / Ore.  Peak trains were 12-car ICBC (Cig+Big+Cig) with the unit at the London end as the train served Lewes being the through Hastings portion.  One down London train detached a single 4Cig at Lewes for Seaford late in the evening peak.  Weekends also saw occasional main line diversions with trains running Brighton - Lewes, reversing in front of the advanced starter east of the station thence up to Victoria or vice versa.  This option was avoided whenever possible as it caused congestion.  The reversal was outside the platforms and took several minutes.  

The Brighton - Victoria night service has long been timed generously in order to divert this way when required.  There were once 01.25 and 04.25 up trains and 02.00 and 05.00 down as I recall which were given something like 35 minutes between Brighton and Haywards Heath.  I made good use of the up trains over the years (let's not go into why here!)and noted that they sometimes departed at (or soon after) the public time and reversed at Lewes but if the main line was open they left some 20 minutes later and reached Haywards Heath in good time. It is of academic interest to this topic that those trains were also scheduled to run wrong road when on the main line making use of the SIMBIDS signalling for the purposes of driver familiarisation.  

I'll be watching the project develop.  Curved buildings and canopies are hard to achieve using "flat" proprietary modelling items and I also have an interest in third-rail modelling so I'll be keen to see how this is tackled.  

What is the intention for control?  DC / DCC / two-rail, live-rail or even three-rail power supply?

It's a brave man that tackles somewhere as relatively large and complex as Lewes.  A respectable start has been made judging by the above photos.

Lewes once had eight platform faces but by 1987 was down to four.  The down London-side bay which was platform 1, the double-faced single-track on the down Brighton which were platforms 4 and 5 and the up Brighton loop which was platform 8 had gone with the remainder numbered 1-4 across the station.

Services were almost exclusively EMU units with the exceptions OP already notes.  4Vep and 4Cig units worked Brighton - Lewes / Seaford / Eastbourne / Hastings (usually through to Ore) stoppers and 4Cig with 4Big units worked the Victoria - Eastbourne service with the 4Cig continuing to Hastings / Ore.  Peak trains were 12-car ICBC (Cig+Big+Cig) with the unit at the London end as the train served Lewes being the through Hastings portion.  One down London train detached a single 4Cig at Lewes for Seaford late in the evening peak.  Weekends also saw occasional main line diversions with trains running Brighton - Lewes, reversing in front of the advanced starter east of the station thence up to Victoria or vice versa.  This option was avoided whenever possible as it caused congestion.  The reversal was outside the platforms and took several minutes.  

The Brighton - Victoria night service has long been timed generously in order to divert this way when required.  There were once 01.25 and 04.25 up trains and 02.00 and 05.00 down as I recall which were given something like 35 minutes between Brighton and Haywards Heath.  I made good use of the up trains over the years (let's not go into why here!)and noted that they sometimes departed at (or soon after) the public time and reversed at Lewes but if the main line was open they left some 20 minutes later and reached Haywards Heath in good time. It is of academic interest to this topic that those trains were also scheduled to run wrong road when on the main line making use of the SIMBIDS signalling for the purposes of driver familiarisation.  

I'll be watching the project develop.  Curved buildings and canopies are hard to achieve using "flat" proprietary modelling items and I also have an interest in third-rail modelling so I'll be keen to see how this is tackled.  

What is the intention for control?  DC / DCC / two-rail, live-rail or even three-rail power supply?

Evening Gwiwer, and thank you for that very detailed post. Much of that tallies from what i've researched to date, not least the first sentence! Very interested in particular in the bits about the Brighton main line diversions, a feature which indeed continues to this day, with Thameslink 319s in particular being a nice change from the ordinary East Coastway stock. 

The evening 'split' you mention was in the '86-'87 timetable the 1732 ex-London Bridge, with the corresponding morning 'join up' being the 1005 arrival at Victoria. I'm particularly keen to mimic these workings so some careful thought to power and control will be needed nearer the time. DCC seems the logical solution here, although if anyone reading has modelled splitting/joining multiple units, i'm all ears! 

One point to pick up on is that Lewes had in fact five platform faces in 1987 as it does today, with the ex-platform 8/reversible loop (RVL as it's referred to in my copy of the working timetable) being used by the 1tph Brighton-Lewes shuttle, and a couple of peak time Lewes-Eastbourne or Lewes-Seaford shuttles. I have heard it said though that there was a relief signalman at Lewes at the time in question who was known to route any of the local services through the reversible loop without prior warning to the platform staff, which kept them on their toes when announcing approaching trains!

Oh, and again from my well-thumbed copy of the working timetable, Ore had lost all but one of its electric services from the Lewes direction by 1987, the sole survivors being the 1513 Brighton-Ore and 1642 Ore-Brighton stoppers. I assume the cutting back of most electric services to Hastings was down to the closure of Ore EMU depot the year previous. There were one or two Charing X/Cannon St peak through trains though I believe, as indeed there still are. 

Interesting times for anyone into timetabling and diagramming I think it's fair to say. The daunting bit is trying to model it all.....gulp! 

It's a great prototype and the footbridge/lift house certainly looks the part to me!

1987 holds my first real memories - I was 3 - but aside from enjoying toast heaped with butter on trains with my Gran and Auntie on the way from Polegate to Brighton Dolphinarium, little railway related sadly! - I have though seen pictures of domestic fuel oil trains in the area, presumably headed towards the Galley Hill depot near Bexhill - would these have worked through Lewes? There is a particularly 'modellable' example on SemgOnline of a 73 with a solitary tank!

It's a great prototype and the footbridge/lift house certainly looks the part to me!

1987 holds my first real memories - I was 3 - but aside from enjoying toast heaped with butter on trains with my Gran and Auntie on the way from Polegate to Brighton Dolphinarium, little railway related sadly! - I have though seen pictures of domestic fuel oil trains in the area, presumably headed towards the Galley Hill depot near Bexhill - would these have worked through Lewes? There is a particularly 'modellable' example on SemgOnline of a 73 with a solitary tank!

This buttered toast keeps coming up again and again, I almost feel obliged to model it on my BIG buffet counter...even 5thou plasticard would be some very thickly sliced bread, or a heck of a lot of butter! Either way, yumtastic.

Freight is a grey area at the moment, as my WTT only covers passenger/parcels traffic. I'd been made aware of the Galley Hill heating oil workings and I know that lovely picture you mention - taken at Berwick IIRC, therefore must've trundled through Lewes. A further picture on Flickr mentions this was a Tuesdays only diagram but any more than that I don't know. 

Further than that, there surely must have been a little bit of freight traffic tied up with Newhaven harbour running through Lewes? There certainly were aggregates trains in the 90s, unloaded off dredgers on the North Quay (as seen here: https://nick86235.smugmug.com/Trains/Nostalgia/Channel-Trains/i-vVqLffG/A ) but whether that traffic had started in 1987 remains to be seen. Anyone who knows Newhaven will probably remember the huge great  orange "giraffe" or "tango" container crane that graced the dockside behind Marine station, but again I don't know if this loaded anything onto trains.

I'd be interested to know :) 

Sticking with the goods traffic chat, I came across this gem on Flickr last night. While the principal subject of the photo is interesting enough - modelling the 0625 NVM-MAN and 1620 MAN-NVM as they ran through Lewes, along with their ECS to/from Brighton, is probably the main reason I chose 1987 for the layout - it's the rake of container flats in the middle distance that intrigues me.

Now these would have had to run through Lewes to get to Newhaven, so I guess these can be modelled too. The quandary is however, what are they, where are they from, and what hauled them there?! I assume they were loaded/unloaded by the aforementioned long-dismantled 'giraffe' crane which graced the dockside to the right of this photo until the late 90s I believe. 

So the hunt for info is on. Either way, doesn't the platform at Marine look smart! 

10596689806_2ef1082f36_k.jpg47451 runs around the stock of the very first 06.25 newhaven marine-manchester train by ken, on Flickr

Oh, and about the aggregates traffic. Now you could write down my knowledge of wagons on a postage stamp and still have room, but after some reading up I believe they're JGA's? There are some close-ups of individual wagons, appropriately enough, at Newhaven Town yard where they were loaded on this site http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rmchallpha/h516529EF#h516529ef

Bringing it all back to modelling, the long and short of it is that Bachmann do indeed do a JGA bogie hopper, albeit of a later (1990) design to the batch of thirteen, 1984-built JGAs built specifically for the Hall Aggregates/RMC Newhaven-Crawley/Tolworth workings. Hmm, more research required - can the Bachmann model be modified to the earlier type I wonder. 

Re the container flats - I don't remember seeing those actual wagons but there were occasional 47 hauled container trains - I can remember discussing it on here many moons ago. Could they have been MOD? Perhaps there were OCL containers on some and plain orange ones too. 

And the oil? - did the Galley Hill train not run down the SE Hastings line? I can't remember seeing it in Lewes. If you see a single tank wagon its own it is more likely fuel oil for St Leonards depot. And then the engine carrier wagon will get mentioned which often accompanied it: it looks like an Anderson shelter on a flat wagon it carried overhauled engines back and forth between St Leonards and Eastleigh.

The most characterful trains for me were the strings of Grampus to and from Tidemills dump. Something I am stealing myself to get on and model one day.

Re the container flats - I don't remember seeing those actual wagons but there were occasional 47 hauled container trains - I can remember discussing it on here many moons ago. Could they have been MOD? Perhaps there were OCL containers on some and plain orange ones too. 

And the oil? - did the Galley Hill train not run down the SE Hastings line? I can't remember seeing it in Lewes. If you see a single tank wagon its own it is more likely fuel oil for St Leonards depot. And then the engine carrier wagon will get mentioned which often accompanied it: it looks like an Anderson shelter on a flat wagon it carried overhauled engines back and forth between St Leonards and Eastleigh.

The most characterful trains for me were the strings of Grampus to and from Tidemills dump. Something I am stealing myself to get on and model one day.

There's a photo of 33060 with a rake of containers, taken at Newhaven Town on 26/08/1983, on p17 of 'Life and Times- Freightliner' The containers are 20' ones, without obvious lettering on the sides, and are painted a light colour. What is slightly odd is that they seem to have small ventilators towards the top of the sides, and possibly just above the floor. Some sort of fresh produce, perhaps?

I guess the biggest clue would be to track down the 1986-87 freight version of the working timetable. I'm purely guessing but surely little ol' Newhaven wasn't generating enough container traffic for a regular Freightliner service? Mind you, there must've been enough to warrant providing that 'giraffe' crane. I read once that later in '87, in the Great Storm, the BTP had to evacuate the ferry terminal and port buildings in a hurry after the gales blew the crane to the end of it's rails parallel to the quayside, and it seemed possible the whole thing might come crashing down...yikes!

There's a photo of 33060 with a rake of containers, taken at Newhaven Town on 26/08/1983, on p17 of 'Life and Times- Freightliner' The containers are 20' ones, without obvious lettering on the sides, and are painted a light colour. What is slightly odd is that they seem to have small ventilators towards the top of the sides, and possibly just above the floor. Some sort of fresh produce, perhaps?

Thanks for the heads-up - i'll scount out a copy on t'internet. The Fyffes banana traffic springs to mind - Colin will know more than me I dare say from his Newhaven Harbour layout, but I believe Fyffes had a warehouse on the East quay, which certainly generated goods traffic in the sixties and seventies. If that was still running in the late eighties, then i'm all in favour of modelling it!

Hi South Central,

Re. the banana traffic from Newhaven, it finished about the mid 70s as the restrictions on road haulage were lifted (someone will surely know the details of this legislation). If Grampus were still running down to Newhaven in the 1980s they would have all been vac. fitted by then.  There was a video on the web of a class 73 running through Lewes en route to Eastbourne with 30 Grampus in tow - get building!

All the best,

Colin

Archived