MRJ 243

David Bigcheeseplant

• RMweb Gold

Just managed to get the last copy from my local 'Smiffs' :)

Sidmouth is just stunning, quite simply an amazing piece of modelling.  Does anyone know when/where it's out and about on the exhibition circuit?  Would love to see it again.

Cheers,

Paul

Come to the EBMRS show in Biggleswade on the 20th Feb 2016 Paul and kneel before it. (there'll be a queue)

http://ebmrs.org.uk/show.htm

Aft'noon all,

Found a 243 in Leek an hour ago....a flick through reveals that once again it is the equivalent of comfy slippers & armchair combined...looking forward to a steady read of each article. Sidmouth is one of our favourite resorts in the UK which gives the opening spread a special significance.

Keep it up guys

Dave 

• RMweb Gold

MRJ is not a normal purchase for me, but I was browsing the mags while waiting for a train, and came across 'Sidmouth'. I've long had a fascination with this station, and at one time contemplated modelling it. The modelling on display is nothing short of exquisite. 

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic layout and I realise that the pictures at Leamington show it not quite finished but, for me, it desperately needs a backscene and descent lighting. The multi directional spots do it no favours and the lack of backscene means the eye is drawn to the untidy rear of the layout behind, the boxes of clutter and an old H&m controller. Modelling of this quality, and Barry Norman's photos show this is top drawer stuff, deserve to be better presented. The eye should be drawn into the model not distracted by all the visual noise surrounding it.

Apologies if this sounds grumpy, it's not meant to, buts it's nearly Christmas and I have a streaming cold:-((

Bah Humbug......

• RMweb Gold

Commiserations Jerry! A few hot (or cold) toddies should help! ;) 

Yes, presentation is everything. The most exquisite modelling can be spoiled. This layout is truly exceptional.

We are thinking (nay agonizing!) hard about presentation on Balcombe. The intention is that human beings will be nowhere to be seen wherever possible.  When they are, operator's faces with grumpy and earnest expressions will be banned  :nono: ...this will of course apply to the Good Captain when visible as he shunts the station yard!  After all we do it to enjoy ourselves and to entertain the punters!

• Administrators

Fantastic layout and I realise that the pictures at Leamington show it not quite finished but, for me, it desperately needs a backscene and descent lighting. The multi directional spots do it no favours and the lack of backscene means the eye is drawn to the untidy rear of the layout behind, the boxes of clutter and an old H&m controller. Modelling of this quality, and Barry Norman's photos show this is top drawer stuff, deserve to be better presented. The eye should be drawn into the model not distracted by all the visual noise surrounding it.

Apologies if this sounds grumpy, it's not meant to, buts it's nearly Christmas and I have a streaming cold:-((

Bah Humbug......

You're right. He shouldn't be allowed to model this well if he can't present the unfinished layout properly...

In real life, you notice all of this less than in a photo. That's not to say a backscene and lighting isn't important but you can't judge the display properly in photos. The eye is very good at not seeing the surroundings or at least blocking them out. The camera is rubbish at this.

• RMweb Gold

You're right. He shouldn't be allowed to model this well if he can't present the unfinished layout properly...

In real life, you notice all of this less than in a photo. That's not to say a backscene and lighting isn't important but you can't judge the display properly in photos. The eye is very good at not seeing the surroundings or at least blocking them out. The camera is rubbish at this.

He should be allowed to do whatever he likes and, as John has said, the modelling is exceptional. I just thought I would express the view that it would be so much better with a backscene, even just an expanse of sky. I take your point that the background clutter would be less obvious in the flesh but, in my view, only marginally. Think how much less of an impact something like Black Country Blues would have if, instead of that backscene framing the trains, you had the rear of the layout behind and it's attendant detritus.

Jerry

Perhaps I should people's minds at rest. I fully accept that "Sidmouth" should ideally have had a back scene for the Leamington Show. Regrettably, the layout, including a back scene could not be completed in time. This was made quite clear in the accompanying blurb and was quite obvious to the viewing public for lots of reasons, not least of which was the empty space at the end of Board 1. It has taken another 8 months of pretty solid work to reach completion, which includes a back scene, purpose built lighting (rather than the items I begged, borrowed and stole), more detailing and of course the Edwardian semis and 1950s bungalow. I hope the end result will be to the viewing public's liking.The layout is due to appear at some shows next year. I would be very happy to hear opinions, in person or on this medium. Richard

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I should people's minds at rest. I fully accept that "Sidmouth" should ideally have had a back scene for the Leamington Show. Regrettably, the layout, including a back scene could not be completed in time. This was made quite clear in the accompanying blurb and was quite obvious to the viewing public for lots of reasons, not least of which was the empty space at the end of Board 1. It has taken another 8 months of pretty solid work to reach completion, which includes a back scene, purpose built lighting (rather than the items I begged, borrowed and stole), more detailing and of course the Edwardian semis and 1950s bungalow. I hope the end result will be to the viewing public's liking.The layout is due to appear at some shows next year. I would be very happy to hear opinions, in person or on this medium. Richard

Can you give details of the shows, please.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, I will be exhibiting at some of the shows you are attending with Sidmouth and am really looking forward to seeing it, complete with backscene and purpose built lighting, I'm sure it will show off the exquisite modelling to best effect.

I did note in my original post that it obviously wasn't finished at Leamington. It certainly wasn't meant as a criticism of the layout but an observation that some thought regarding presentation is always worthwhile. It was also an attempt to discuss aspects of models and modelling on an MRJ thread rather than endless references to whether or not your local Smiths has it yet. Not sure I'll try that again.....:-))

Jerry

I'll chime in with my appreciation for Sidmoutg too. Good rural and urban modelling is quite common, but good suburban modelling is rarer. I was reminded of another layout featured in MRJ a good few years ago, but I can't remember any of the details of who or where it was, besides being possibly south of London suburbia.

I have to say I didn't find the track plan that useful, I'm far more interested in how the scene fits together, eg where the beautiful semi and bungalow are located. A layout plan over a track plan for me every time

Archived