• RMweb Gold

There has been quite a large number of new wagons arriving over the last few weeks, JNA, HOA and MMA.

The MMAs were made in Romania by Astra Rail and started arriving around the beginning of May 2016.

On Friday 20th May the Eccles stone was formed of 16 of these wagons, it was stabled for several hours next to a field, with a footpath alongside, meaning photographs were possible.

81-70-5500-093-6

post-6662-0-64688700-1463947579_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-16868400-1463947589_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-68794100-1463947597_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-42639700-1463947605_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-52850100-1463947613_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-21113800-1463947623_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-80984700-1463947631_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-47405700-1463947706_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-18539300-1463947713_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-53250600-1463947720_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-28545300-1463947727_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-32803900-1463947735_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-35515000-1463947743_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-81715700-1463947749_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-29710800-1463947757_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-50133600-1463947762_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-68164800-1463947781_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-94516000-1463947786_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-97569600-1463947791_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-09980400-1463947805_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-00559300-1463947814_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-47839400-1463948003_thumb.jpg

I have more if anyone wants them

• RMweb Gold

Hi Das,

Were all the wagons orientated the same way, or did you manage to get some shots of the underframe gear on the "other" side too?

These look to have a number of design elements taken directly from the JNAs, especially in configuration of brake gear.

cheers

Ben A.

Well done, a lovely set of detail photos. So often it is difficult with modern security to obtain such good photos, utilising the advantages of digital photography. Do more and get yourself a proper site to host them :sungum:

Paul

PS just noticed the numbering and warning stickers on the end. Is this idea being applied to other DBCargo stock?

• RMweb Premium

There was a 66 and a set of wagons that might've been these (I didn't get a good look, just driving past) waiting at a signal at Furness Vale last week (I think), probably about 8:45, would it have been these? They were recently-painted opens at any rate.

There was a 66 and a set of wagons that might've been these (I didn't get a good look, just driving past) waiting at a signal at Furness Vale last week (I think), probably about 8:45, would it have been these? They were recently-painted opens at any rate.

DB Cargo have also been converting various older flats to various sizes of bogie box, and all of them have got a shiny coat of red paint too, so possibly, possibly not...

Interestingly, the strengthening plate on the end is boxed-in between the horizontal ribs, rather than being just a flat plate welded across them, like on an MBA.

Also, I wonder why the body side doesn't extend all the way up to the horizontal top rib at each corner (see the daylight in the last photo). MBAs have this feature, but I don't think that JNAs do.

Jim

Depends which JNAs you mean, the yellow NR ones do have the same "pinned" top corners, as do the later MLA and IEA. The "Tarmac" build of the same* design as the DB ones above appears to be the same. It seems a fairly common construction technique these days. (Some modern US gons also show the feature http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspicture.aspx?id=494164 )

It's not universal though as the NR IOAs didn't.

*Presumed

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Yes, I was wondering the same about the top corners and "pinned" is a good way to describe it.  

At first glance it seems an unnecessary complication on wagons which do not have opening end doors.  

Maybe it's just cheaper to built them this way, either because it uses standard parts and common CAD, or because it offers efficiencies in construction.  Do pinned corners simplify alignment during fabrication/welding?

cheers

Ben A.

Whilst bits of railfreight are in the doldrums, there's a lot happening in aggregates just at the mo.

Largely just to try and get things straight in my own mind - I think the following are either recently arrived newbuild, or should be coming this year:

JNA bogie boxes for Tarmac (Astra Rail)
MMA bogie boxes for DB Cargo (Astra Rail) as per Dave's pics

MWA bogie boxes for Freightliner - I presume from a different builder to the above two types as the design is not the same? 

I believe there are also box wagons due for Mendip Rail this summer as well, though which design I don't know. I've a reference to MRL getting a total of 130 new wagons split between box and hopper designs via VTG this summer, so some new hoppers too...

JPA bogie "tank style" cement hoppers (Feldbinder?) for Hope Cement
JPA (as above) for Hanson

JGA bogie cement hoppers for Tarmac (similar to the previous BLI/Tarmac 'ribbed' wagons)

HOA bogie aggregate hoppers for Tarmac (Astra Rail) - interesting revival of a design.

Any i've missed?

I was thinking that about the pinned corners before I read your post Martyn, I must have heard it some place before.

The numbers on the ends seems to be a reasonably common European spec thing, by no means universal though. The other new boxes being delivered for Tarmac have them too.

Interesting that they're single piped, hopefully the new wagons coming down this way will be twin piped other wise it could take a while charging the brake on a 40 odd wagon jumbo

It's nice to see the HOAs have done away with the disc handbrake wheels, they're a pain in the backside in the cold or the wet, difficult to grip.

Jo

Rebuilds - DB Cargo is creating:

MXA - low bogie boxes for engineers traffic, basically a BDA (or similar) frame with a box body. 
MVA - mid height bogie boxes for aggregates traffic, basically a BBA (or similar) frame with a box body.

Feels like i've missed something there...

Whilst bits of railfreight are in the doldrums, there's a lot happening in aggregates just at the mo.

Largely just to try and get things straight in my own mind - I think the following are either recently arrived newbuild, or should be coming this year:

JNA bogie boxes for Tarmac 

MMA bogie boxes for DB Cargo as per Dave's pics

MWA bogie boxes for Freightliner - I presume from a different builder to the above two types as the design is not the same? 

I believe there are also box wagons due for Mendip Rail this summer as well, though which design I don't know. I've a reference to MRL getting a total of 130 new wagons split between box and hopper designs via VTG this summer, so some new hoppers too...

JPA bogie "tank style" cement hoppers (Feldbinder?) for Hope Cement

JPA (as above) for Hanson

JGA bogie cement hoppers for Tarmac (similar to the previous BLI/Tarmac 'ribbed' wagons)

HOA bogie aggregate hoppers for Tarmac - interesting revival of a design.

Any i've missed?

This is a really useful and interesting list, can anybody supply images to go with any/each of these? I've seen a red rake and a 'halfords grey' rake of boxes in Peterobrough Yards in recent months, off the trains, so not able to see their codes, and didn't want to start a 'what were these' thread on the basis of almost no identifying features, Dave's picture 660629 in post 165 of the Eccles Thread appears to be like the grey rake I saw, is that likely?

thanks

Ian

Hopefully this helps:

Tarmac JNA:
https://flic.kr/p/GfrWjy

DB MMA - oodles of pics by Dave up-thread. :)

Freightliner MWA en-route image - not sure whether these have come through the tunnel yet...
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?4,7826791

MRL boxes/hoppers - Haven't hit the UK yet, don't know of any more info other than a referenced news article about the order due for delivery "Summer 2016".

JPA for Hope
https://flic.kr/p/Gh4XuC

JPA for Hanson
https://flic.kr/p/FrBYQg

JGA for Tarmac
https://flic.kr/p/G9FSwZ

HOA for Tarmac 
https://flic.kr/p/G5rGGw

• RMweb Premium

Freightliner MWA en-route image - not sure whether these have come through the tunnel yet...

http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?4,7826791

The MWAs look like they're on weathered bogies - presumably from scrapped HHAs.

A quick comparison of the MMA against the Tarmac JNA - the side inspection door looks like the only obvious difference.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

JPA for Hope

https://flic.kr/p/Gh4XuC

JPA for Hanson

https://flic.kr/p/FrBYQg

The Hope JPAs don't have the end pipes as per the Hanson deliveries or the original Castle/Lafarge batches.

There are minor differences between the Hanson and Castle tanks, but a couple have found their way into a mostly Castle rake on the Clitheroe-Mossend duty. The Clitheroe-Avonmouth is a full rake of new Hanson tanks and a couple have already been attacked by the graffiti artists. (Must get a couple of pics - it's due past me today, but seems to have gone no further than Bristol Parkway.........)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The Hope JPAs don't have the end pipes as per the Hanson deliveries or the original Castle/Lafarge batches.

There are minor differences between the Hanson and Castle tanks, but a couple have found their way into a mostly Castle rake on the Clitheroe-Mossend duty. The Clitheroe-Avonmouth is a full rake of new Hanson tanks and a couple have already been attacked by the graffiti artists. (Must get a couple of pics - it's due past me today, but seems to have gone no further than Bristol Parkway.........)

Cheers,

Mick

(Im pretty certain) It's running Mick - real time updates are failing I think, it was waiting at Wigan South for it's path (North) earlier when I was advising my son about the Southbound 'liner.

Archived