'Beilhack' ZZA snowplough in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Evening,

I had a nice drive to Widnes today to pick up two of these ZZA wagons and also to see the new shop and location as I was used to the one in Liverpool. I really like the wagons and am glad that finally I can run something with my DRS 37 in pairs. They are great qwirky things to be honest, they have lots of weight in them to hold them to the track while being pushed and pulled and you only need two to make a prototypical rake, 2 loco's and 2 ZZA ploughs and that's it.

Regards

Mathew.

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

I had a nice drive to Widnes today to pick up two of these ZZA wagons and also to see the new shop and location as I was used to the one in Liverpool.

dont forget to pay the toll on the new bridge if you came that way!!

dont forget to pay the toll on the new bridge if you came that way!!

I went up the M6 to J21a then m62 to J6 and down the Knowsley expressway A5300, over the roundabout and it's 800 yards from there and on the way back I had a quick visit to Ikea on the M62, It's the long way round but I'm not paying the toll and also the sat-nav hasn't been up-dated to show the new road layouts.

Edited by ews60002

A general question here.  The Railtrack versions have solar panels fitted, while the Network Rail versions have these removed.  Does anyone know when the solar panels were removed by Network Rail and how quickly these were repainted into Network Rail livery after the transfer of Railtrack to Network Rail? 

I've noticed that some wagons, such as the blue and grey MRA side tipping ballast wagons seemed to receive Network Rail logos fairly early (2003-2006), whereas the JJA Autoballasters didn't seem to get any Network Rail branding until at least 2009.  As this is the period that I'm modelling, I could probably get away with either livery, but am interested to know which would be most likely.

Robin,

I note that photograph was taken in 2011 (which is more modern than the time period that I'm interested in) and looking at the location of sightings on the Ontrack plant website, it seems that all of these ploughs were spotted at Kilmarnock in the autumn of 2011.  I also read on another website (http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Snow+Ploughs) that Network Rail's fleet of Beilhack ploughs were overhauled at Brodie Rail, Kilmarnock in 2011 (which I'm assuming is where that photograph was taken).   What I'm not clear on is whether that was when the solar panels were removed and the Network Rail logos were freshly applied at that date.

There are a couple of photographs on the Ontrack plant website that are dated 2009, which looks as though they still have the solar panels, but I can't see from the angle of the shot whether they have Railtrack or Network Rail Branding.

I think I can conclude that the Network Rail versions as modelled by Hattons are definitely correct for the post-2011 period and the Railtrack versions are obviously correct for the early years of the 21st Century - it's just the period from the formation of Network Rail through to 2011 period that I'm less sure of.

That's a nice clear photograph showing that the ploughs still had the Railtrack fitted solar panels in 2010, which means I should be buying the Railtrack version and de-branding it rather than buying a Network Rail version.  It looks as though the Network Rail logos were first applied along with the removal of the solar panels during their visit to Kilmarnock in 2011, so the Network Rail versions are only suitable for the post-2011 time period.  The photograph of freshly painted ploughs at Kilmarnock in 2011 effectively confirms the date of removal of the solar panels and application of Network Rail logos.

It should be fairly easy to simply spray a weathered black over the top to remove the Railtrack branding, although there are two photographs of 965576 on the Ontrack plant website from 2008 and 2010 and another on Martyn Read's Smugmug site, all of which show that plough with some form of hybrid branding.  The Railtrack name has been removed and Network Rail stencilled in place, but the plough retains "the heart of the railway" branding.  It looks as though that is what I need to try and recreate.

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/Z-Tops-codes/ZZA-Snowplough/i-6KfDxKQ

http://www.ontrackplant.com/photo/965576-1

http://www.ontrackplant.com/photo/965576-4

I just need to find some more photographs, but at least I know which pair to buy now.

Just got one of my pair today. Agree with others. Excellent model. I did not keep to strict pairs but mixed between an NSE and a Shark mouth (40 and 45 chassis), though from an overlapping time frame.

The plow is solid and has some weight. Layout test tonight.

post-15098-0-69578400-1527231705_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi All,

I phoned on Monday and had a well packed box arrive Wednesday with the Carlisle based pair in Network Rail livery. Superb model, well built and good weight to them. I was impressed with my Warwells but these are even better and nice to have a more unusual model produced.

Having seen the samples at Glasgow I knew they would be good and with the future RHTT and now 66’s Hattons look set to get even more of my money.

Cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...

Just out of mild curiosity, why are the NSE branded ploughs arriving later, id have thought they would all be produced at once, the NSE ones arent really any diffrent?

Also, why im here musing.... did any of these ploughs ever recieve the full NSE paint job?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Along with the second batch of P Class' yesterday we did indeed also receive the two outstanding Beilhack snowploughs.

They represent the versions in BR yellow with NSE branding.

We're working through pre-orders as I type this and we will have these posted out today.

All 12 versions are available to pre-order for £43 each on THIS page of our website.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

Postie delivered my H4-B4-005 today, in there was a small bag with what looked like a dummy hook coupling and a brake hose - but no instructions for where they should be put (if, in fact, at all whilst using bog standard tension locks).  Any suggestions?

I got my NSE one today. This is based in the class 45 bogie instead of class 40 that my shark mouth version has. I guess most people have brought these in strict pairs, but I decided to mix (same era but maybe not same regions) to have one each of ex-class 40 and 45 in my pair.

Here is a pick of the NSE one:

post-15098-0-54397400-1533812997_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2

I got my NSE one today. This is based in the class 45 bogie instead of class 40 that my shark mouth version has. I guess most people have brought these in strict pairs, but I decided to mix (same era but maybe not same regions) to have one each of ex-class 40 and 45 in my pair.

Here is a pick of the NSE one:

attachicon.gifIMG_6856.JPG

And the prototype https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/snowplough/e313616ea

It is black now  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/snowplough/ea501435f

Paul

Ok pics of the new plough at home.

I am great believer that rolling stock should be run with locos from the same manufacturer. This comes from being brainwashed when I was young by those early 80s catalogues whereby they all said that they did everything I could ever need for my model railway.

The only pure Hattons locos I have are Ps so..

post-15098-0-38897000-1533830275_thumb.jpg

But nahhhh does not really work, out with the first thing 80s I could find...

post-15098-0-26914000-1533834657_thumb.jpg

Now some comparison pics between a 40 and 45 based plough. There are plenty of minor differences, but buffers stand out the most.

post-15098-0-17987100-1533834753_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-18870500-1533834773_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-32882200-1533834790_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-38897000-1533830275_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-26914000-1533834657_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-17987100-1533834753_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-18870500-1533834773_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-32882200-1533834790_thumb.jpg

• Like 3