Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

I am fed up being ask by my 'normal' friends, did I see it, and is that what your train friends are like

Well, aren't they?

Returning to the viewing figures it looks like this was seen by some 50pct more than the best 2 of Michael Portillo's progs the same week.

But who was the better dressed presenter?  :jester:

Edited by Captain Kernow

Not sure how much found its way onto Ebay. The bulk of it was collected by Hornby and then sold on as used to retailers. We bought miles of the long straights. Sold at cost plus 40p per length and the 40p went to charity. Proved extremely popular, had a photo in the shop with James May, Oz Clarke with the track. The British Heart Foundation were the recipients. The loco's in our Hornby cabinet all rest on the actual track used.

When they did the first one a lot of the track was left behind, as a mate of mine worked for the council and had to clear a lot of it up.

He showed me a photo of the back of his van and it was full up with track, i believe they ended up getting a bill for the clear up.

Who confused Welsh Highland with West Highland? Moel Tryfan on the bridge at Beddgelert looked a tad out of place in the old photo montage!

Yes I noticed that but then I'd make a similar kind of slip if I were doing a montage of cakes or whatever...

..that apart, I thought the archive film of the train skirting the edge of the loch worked really well. The bright saturated cine camera colours, and a slight increase in speed made those scenes really come alive and seem relevant and exciting, rather that the usual grey interludes showing a scene 'back in the day'.

• Like 2

Poor track laying causing the loco to fall off the track quite a lot is actually a good thing. By the time Silver Lady gets to Inverness she will be battered but still running - she will look like a hero who has been through a big challenge but come through. If she arrived looking shiny and unmarked it just wouldn’t have the same impact. I’m really looking forward to seeing her arrival at the end of the line having succeeded against the odds (I’m assuming she made it). So, great for the TV programme but of course if it was your own you wouldn’t allow it. It’s also great and well deserved publicity for Roundhouse assuming the programme ends up with a very battered but still running Silver Lady.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Poor track laying causing the loco to fall off the track quite a lot is actually a good thing. By the time Silver Lady gets to Inverness she will be battered but still running - she will look like a hero who has been through a big challenge but come through. If she arrived looking shiny and unmarked it just wouldn’t have the same impact. I’m really looking forward to seeing her arrival at the end of the line having succeeded against the odds (I’m assuming she made it). So, great for the TV programme but of course if it was your own you wouldn’t allow it. It’s also great and well deserved publicity for Roundhouse assuming the programme ends up with a very battered but still running Silver Lady.

There was a glimpse last week showing Silver Lady with a lot of paint chips on the edges.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

You want to try getting safety fencing or a portable loo when Glastonbury is on.............Love could have offered the Earth but it wouldn't have made a difference.

Love were on the main stage in Glastonbury in 2003 - and they certainly made a difference.

DT

• Like 1

There was a glimpse last week showing Silver Lady with a lot of paint chips on the edges.

It looked very battered on that BBC Breakfast clip...

Re the track laying, I assume that they were not allowed to do anything to the paths they used, hence it was just dumped down? Even a little work with a spade would have made it smoother but perhaps that was banned by the people who maintain the paths. I recon if they'd "smoothed out" the paths in the forest they'd have got a much more even gradient but the path would have worn away much quicker come the rain and snow...

Edited by Hobby

Surely is IS a proper steam locomtive. It's powered by water and heat after all, how much more steam-loco like do you want? (Yes, coal firing is possible but only if you like crawling along 71 miles with a small shovel). :onthequiet:

If you want to change the sound, you need a Chuff pipe - look out for more details in April's issue of Garden Rail.

All Roundhouse's classic series have been fitted with chuff pipes for a year or more, as standard, so I would assume this Silver Lady has one already (unless they have used one from old stock). Chuff pipes do make a difference to the sound and to the emission of the steam, but not in windy, very open areas like this! In my protected garden, with its high stone walls, and on a still day, the effect is remarkable, compared to a non-fitted one.

The only other way to make it move, sound and look more like the "real thing", is to retro-fit a Slo-Mo mechanism, supplied by a firm in Oz, which effectively introduces a slower gear. I cannot afford one as yet (they are several hundred sovs apiece) but have seen one in use and they are well worth the money, if you have it.....

I can't quite get my head around "it would have been better in three programmes than six" or whatever numbers you wish to choose.

Once we've seen it all, surely only then, can that opinion be made?

Cheers,

Mick

Well I have watched the first two programmes and think I have travelled about six miles so far. Doesn't seem relevant to distance travelled.

I am left musing though.

Is this series of programmes left to the viewer to decide whether railway enthusiasts are a little on the nutty side ? Can't decide.

Dick Strawbridge is certainly a really enthusiastic character and his facial fuzz kind of adds to his personality.

All in all it beats watching 22 men or women chasing a bag of wind round a field 

• Like 1

Is this series of programmes left to the viewer to decide whether railway enthusiasts are a little on the nutty side ?

In my experience on the midge infested front line they all seemed remarkably sane. I'm one of the ones who had a foot in both 'toy train nerd' and 'actual engineering' camps. Hard to know what the production team made of me but there may be more in the three weeks remaining, long story short 'keeps quiet and lays track vaguely towards the horizon'...!

• Like 3

I am left musing though.

Is this series of programmes left to the viewer to decide whether railway enthusiasts are a little on the nutty side ? Can't decide.

If I was to distill down every railway related person I've come into contact with into however many people are being portrayed here, I think it would be a very accurate portrait. 

The young lad who lost his mum should get his own show, he's the next Guy Martin!, Must admit I am really enjoying this show.

Pity they did not show all the help they had with the James may one, felt like we where just in the way once we put down the track.

Edited by darren01
  • Like 2