Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

33 pages in and it's time to stop reading for me [not that I've read them all].

The programme is simply light entertainment, with all that that entails. The discussion doesn't require insults or sharp comments being thrown around from time-to-time nor, frankly, a forensic dissection of the programme's shortcomings [there are bound to be many, the programme is edited after all]. If anything would reinforce a general stereotype of railway modellers, it's not the programme but, rather, the quality of the debate that has taken place in parts of this topic.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 2

Just watch the third episode on catchup.

It is a bit of light hearted fun for those of us watching in our own homes.

If you have ever seen a TV show being made you will realise it involves lots of jiggery pokery, retakes etc.

Just enjoy it and stop getting cut up guys.

I still think the series is quite an embarrassment, and the whole drinking sequences in the recent episode, was that really nessecary?

I think they were making a comparison with the navvies who built Britain's full size railways so an opportunity for a dollop of social history (though we won't go into the reasons why such a large number of the rural population had become an itinerant workforce at that period in our history) Anyway what's wrong with seeing people letting their hair down a bit. We wouldn't want people to get the impression that railway modellers are a bunch of po faced puritans who think "fun" is a sin.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

I think the problem is caused by referring to it as railway modelling, although i can't think of any other succinct description. Other than having two more or less parallel ridges, the track is not really a model of a railway, and the train is a light engine only. It may as well have been some other system of track and movable object, say slot car. Anyway, the choice of a miniature steam loco was far better than any other in this location, although the price of such a loco is possibly far more than a newcomer may be able/willing to pay.  I'm not sure the program has much relevance to folk purchasing 00/n gauge models - the main attraction being the scenery in the series, and the size of some of the constructions, none of which would be viable for a more permanent layout. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think they were making a comparison with the navvies who built Britain's full size railways so an opportunity for a dollop of social history (though we won't go into the reasons why a large itinerant workforce had become available at that period in our history) Anyway what's wrong with seeing people letting their hair down a bit. We wouldn't want people to get the impression that railway modellers are a bunch of po faced puritans who think "fun" is a sin.

You mean we're not?

Oh well - I learn something new every day - or maybe not.

Joking aside, what I've seen so far of this series doesn't strike me as particularly contentious.

Anyone could almost imagine some people misappropriating a well known quote about another leisure pursuit: "It isn't a matter of life and death - it's far more important than that!"

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This programme is/should be fun for the people who enjoy watching people. OK it is fairly heavily contrived and obviously it has to be edited, however I have enjoyed seeing some of our Parishoners doing their thing and also the little, personal cameos, particularly the young woman who's Grandad had been in the area as a Commando and the chap with the two young boys, along with the lad that lost his mum fairly recently. In fact all life is reflected in this sort of programmne so why are some of us embarrased?

It includes bullies, lonely or seemingly quiet people that prove to be excellent managers, true experts in their field, hard workers, shy people, funny people and those that find life in public and/or working in a team quite a challenge for whatever reason. It also demonstrates comradeship and enthusiasm for something really 'innocent' and the positve attitude of the 'Walrus' is excellent.

What makes it for me though are the brief but superb views of an area I last visited in the 70s. I suppose I am also just a little bit envious but I doubt I would have lasted 5 minutes working as this lot have had to. 

Little Lady is a smart little machine, built not that far from where I am. It is a wonderful piece of machinery.

Roll on the next episode.

Phil

• Like 13

Just watch the third episode on catchup.

It is a bit of light hearted fun for those of us watching in our own homes.

If you have ever seen a TV show being made you will realise it involves lots of jiggery pokery, retakes etc.

Just enjoy it and stop getting cut up guys.

Totally agree, its a load of grown ups having fun in the Scottish countryside. Might not be modelling as we would know it, the two bridges and viaduct were stunning. The tressel bridge was in my opinion a splendid bit of modelling 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Same here. I just loved the trestle and also the fact that as each week progresses we get more 'back stories' of the people involved.

One thing no-one's mentioned is the music which seems particularly well applied to the various segments and adds to the feeling of achievement when the show ends with a 'reveal', as it's known in the media.

• Like 1

Same here. I just loved the trestle and also the fact that as each week progresses we get more 'back stories' of the people involved.

One thing no-one's mentioned is the music which seems particularly well applied to the various segments and adds to the feeling of achievement when the show ends with a 'reveal', as it's known in the media.

I came to the thread late, and on purpose not read what was written before. I can understand some being a bit let down if they expected a model railway program. That aside I am a bit of a fan of the programs featuring Dick Strawbridge I enjoy the way he copes with the challenges he encounters and is an ideal presenter and project leader for this series. Seeing people of all ages and walks of life, including many with no model railway experience get on with a challenge warts and all makes enjoyable viewing for me, which is what it set out to be.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I noticed when they turned Silver lady over for servicing and you got a look at her undercracjets, I noticed what looks like a large wheel or gear on the center axle. What’s that for?

If its the same as my Accucraft Ragleth, it's a spacer between the eccentrics. Someone with more engineering nous than I might be able to explain if it offers a flywheel effect to smooth the drive too.

Dscf3790.jpg

The guys at Roundhouse haven't admitted to anything wierder such as a rack system or pulley - at least not when I spoke to them last week for the feature in the March issue of Garden Rail. 

I noticed when they turned Silver lady over for servicing and you got a look at her undercracjets, I noticed what looks like a large wheel or gear on the center axle. What’s that for?

I seem to remember we had a cog on it for a potential rack and pinion system. I can’t remember if this was actually ever used, don’t think so.

I seem to remember we had a cog on it for a potential rack and pinion system. I can’t remember if this was actually ever used, don’t think so.

I think it may be revealed at some point in either episode 4 or 5 what that cog is for. Suffice to say that it was used for something, but you'll have to watch and see if it makes the edit.

• Like 3

I think it may be revealed at some point in either episode 4 or 5 what that cog is for. Suffice to say that it was used for something, but you'll have to watch and see if it makes the edit.

That's a weapons-grade "teaser" post - I like it!

Am looking forward to binge-watching the series when I get home next month :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick thank you Jenny E and Payne Train. Most enjoyable viewing (well almost all of it so far); not sure about one of your colleague's yellow sleeping onesey (sensible for camping/sleeping though). I was around when a windsurfing Video was made in 2000 when I was on holiday in Greece and I know how long these things can take and how much work goes into it, especially off camera.

Obviously your privacy is respected and I am sure you won't want to share too much especially before the series broadcast is complete, however it would be great to get some idea of what it was like for you at some later date.

All the best,

Phil 

• Like 4

Why can't people take this show for what it is?

I do watch the BLR with Mrs NB and whilst I pick out the technical and edit faults, she gently chuckles at me and gets on with enjoying the show for what it is.

Sunday evening light entertainment.

Cheers

Mick

..I'm currently watching Hunted, and my disbelief has definitely been suspended...

• RMweb Premium

Snip<  I'm not sure the program has much relevance to folk purchasing 00/n gauge models - the main attraction being the scenery in the series, and the size of some of the constructions, none of which would be viable for a more permanent layout. 

Maybe not OO - but it's done pretty well for Silver Lady sales, thank you very much!  It has perhaps shown the quality and toughness of the product, which has persuaded any fence sitting first time live steam buyers that they won't break their significant investment easily.  Roundhouse are great folk too.

• Like 6

Maybe not OO - but it's done pretty well for Silver Lady sales, thank you very much!  It has perhaps shown the quality and toughness of the product, which has persuaded any fence sitting first time live steam buyers that they won't break their significant investment easily.  Roundhouse are great folk too.

AND it can swim without coming to too much harm!

..I'm currently watching Hunted, and my disbelief has definitely been suspended...

Another one for which disbelief has to be taken out to the kitchen for the duration is Hard Sun.

Compared with that, watching a "model railway" being built across Scotland is enjoyable light relief!

edit because spelin

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2