Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any idea when the programme will be broadcast? It should be an interesting one to watch.

Autumn schedule is all we know,

Edited by john new

Keep it for the novelty value. It isn't totally UV stable as far as we know, and will last around 5 years in sunlight before it will start to degrade. It makes good plinths for O gauge stock, and is easy to cut up with a hacksaw. There is also a fun drinking game it can be used for. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There is still some track from this project lying around in the Great Glen

Keep it for the novelty value. It isn't totally UV stable as far as we know, and will last around 5 years in sunlight before it will start to degrade. It makes good plinths for O gauge stock, and is easy to cut up with a hacksaw. There is also a fun drinking game it can be used for.

Is that in the programme, too? :jester:

Probably not - it looks like rather more than "a yard of track" to me - but then I might just be overdue an eye test.

However, I'm sure that drinking games could be much worse - like at one pub in Oxford, where some patrons are reputed to have lost parts of their ties in exchange for half a pint of beer - sounds like rather a waste to me!

Anyway, fear of losing an old tie wasn't what made me decide against putting my name forward for this year's challenge - neither was the prospect of working with (and getting to know) a bunch of people I'd never met before. I certainly wouldn't have lost any sleep at the prospect of no network coverage for my "electronic tag" - sorry - mobile phone.

No - the fliers handed out at "Ally Pally" mentioned about "camping" along the route of the track. I'd only just managed to get rid of a cold at the time, so the thought of trying to sleep under canvas in what might turn out to be inclement British Summer Time weather didn't exactly appeal to me - neither did the prospect of needing a "single malt cough remedy".

Well, it was either that or "wall to wall" hayfever if the weather turned out better than I feared. On reflection, probably better to leave this year's enterprise to people who'd be more likely to enjoy being outdoors 24/7 for a couple of weeks. I might have made a mistake - I might not - but that was my call.

Of course, future years' challenges (assuming they happen) are a completely different matter - but I'd really like this year's to be as much of a success as possible.

The fact that a number of people who'd never met before were able to work together and leave as friends suggests to me that the most important objective was definitely achieved. I'm happy to wait a few months to find out what other objectives were achieved.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• 3 weeks later...

My Wife has just noticed in a TV Listings mag that this programme is due to be broadcast "In the weeks ahead". Keep your eyes peeled if interested folks.

Regards,

John

I've been told end of October, then running through November. Sunday early evening slot was suggested. However not officially confirmed so could still change. 

• 2 months later...

Looks like Sky know about it:-

https://skyvision.sky.com/programme/19082/biggest-little-railway-the

Don't have sky so can't watch it!

I do, but I don't think you can watch it with a sky account, the website is sky vision which I think is an industry facing website for skys own programs. Without logging in, press play and turn the volume on and you can hear the audio from the trailer (which gives a lot away). Not sure if its a bug on the website or meant to be like that.

• RMweb Gold

I do, but I don't think you can watch it with a sky account, the website is sky vision which I think is an industry facing website for skys own programs. Without logging in, press play and turn the volume on and you can hear the audio from the trailer (which gives a lot away). Not sure if its a bug on the website or meant to be like that.

Probably meant to be like that - I'd imagine they want people to think it sounds exciting - whilst also creating the impression that people are are finding out more than they're supposed to - without really giving anything away in practice.

Also, I'm not surprised that this has found its way onto a Sky website - after all, I seem to recall reading that they own a large percentage of Love Productions.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the programme turns out - and what happens about any sequels. Assuming there are further series, I suspect that "Warley" this year - and "Ally Pally" next year - might be interesting.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

I managed to get hold of some of the track and have taken a good look at it in the November issue of Garden Rail.

attachicon.gifgrNovcover.jpg

Don't worry, it's spoiler free - at the time of writing, I knew no more than most of the posters on here!

Without giving anything away about the programmes and their outcome, it might be interesting if the production company were to submit a "how this series was made" article, complete with some "behind the scenes" photos.

If such an article exists - if such photos exist - it wouldn't be hard for them to ensure that they appear at a suitable time to promote / augment the series.

Time will tell whether this actually happens - and I'm sure that none of us would want spoilers ... . Oh, go on, then, if you must ... !

Huw.

I wonder if they'll get back in touch with everyone who contacted them last summer.

Strange as this might seem, at the weekend, I was wondering if anything came of this enterprise - now I know.

As I said to them at the time - and other people mentioned on a number of forum sites - they'll need to solve a number of technical challenges (some of which I'd find very interesting).

A number of us also commented (on the phone, or in posts on various websites) that whilst, for a number of reasons, we might not personally have chosen to build a long outdoor track, we still wish them no ill will with their endeavour - indeed, a number of us would still be interested in being involved. "Negativity" this most certainly was not - and still is not (certainly here).

I, for one, hope they are able to make this work. I hope they show a reasonable cross section of the technical challenges that need to be dealt with. I also hope they show the people, effort and teamwork involved in solving all the issues that get "kicked up".

Ultimately, I hope the programme makers use this chance to show this hobby - and the people who pursue it - in a positive light. After all, they are reliant on the goodwill of a large number of decent people - people whose decency should, only rightly, be repaid in kind.

I'm sure the programme makers will be keen to ensure this does, indeed, happen.

Huw.

Absolutely agreed Huw. It would also be a kind of continuity too

PS i have relatives in Cwmbran

Now believed to be November. Still to be confirmed (Channel 4 seem to like leaving letting anyone know transmission dates to no more than a week before hand it seems - even Love Productions aren't sure). 

There is a trailer knocking about which I have seen. Not sure if it is cleared for transmission yet - it was produced with a view to selling the series to overseas broadcasters. It looks really good, and I appear in it which massages my Ego nicely. This series is shaping up to be something really special and has already appeared in the Guardian's list of must-watch programmes of the Autumn. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Without giving anything away about the programmes and their outcome, it might be interesting if the production company were to submit a "how this series was made" article, complete with some "behind the scenes" photos.

If such an article exists - if such photos exist - it wouldn't be hard for them to ensure that they appear at a suitable time to promote / augment the series.

Time will tell whether this actually happens - and I'm sure that none of us would want spoilers ... . Oh, go on, then, if you must ... !

Huw.

For anyone within reach of London, two of the participants will be telling us about it at The Model Railway Club on 9th November:

post-1260-0-16942200-1508959482_thumb.jpg

http://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/events

Tom

• Like 2