Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

So far  - predictably cringe worthy, bunch of prats claiming their 15 mins of fame.  Not even using real model track

Jim

Actually they all look like pretty committed and motivated individuals. Definitely not "prats" which is uncalled for.

And it is real model railway track. It's not conventional track but it's certainly real and its certainly model..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So far  - predictably cringe worthy, bunch of prats claiming their 15 mins of fame.  Not even using real model track

It's a bit like the apprentice with even more annoying individuals

Jim

Uncalled for, I think.   You'll find your TV has buttons to change channel or turn it off.  Use them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interested to know where they got the “2nd most popular hobby” statistic from...

I will stick with it as light entertainment but suspect the fashion for impending doom in tv programs is not too far away.

• RMweb Premium

I really enjoyed that.

Its TV its not meant to be serious.

Well done to all involved. I'm jealous I would loved to have been involved.

Bring on next weeks episode .

Owen

• Like 4

I watched David Attenborough during the adverts. It was a pity that programmes about my two interests of model railways and prehistoric animals clashed after little of interest for me for the last two weeks on television.

Well, there's always C4 + 1/OD and Iplayer....

It's a bit like the apprentice with even more annoying individuals

Jim

On the basis that some contributors to the show are members and regular contributors on here, that particular viewpoint is maybe not especially well thought out.

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was passable television. Of course what these programs are all about is showing the various different personalities and how they all meld together, or not. At least it’s better than “celebrities” eating bugs in the jungle.

Well I enjoyed it; It was maybe not a programme for 'serious' railway modellers, but then it wasn't supposed to be, just entertainment for the TV-viewing public. Look forward to next week's episode.

I thought it was passable television. Of course what these programs are all about is showing the various different personalities and how they all meld together, or not. At least it’s better than “celebrities” eating bugs in the jungle.

Maybe that happens next week when the builders are marooned in the Highlands !

• Like 2

It looked to me as if there was enough clearance for them to get the line under the road/rail bridges, especially given that the rail bridge was a swing bridge so they could lay the track under it/time their own train to run when the track was open.

Also slightly surprising to see that they were using separate joining pieces rather than having a moulded connector in each end of the track sections (as per Triang Series 3 and Kato Unitrack).

• RMweb Premium

Well I enjoyed it; It was maybe not a programme for 'serious' railway modellers, but then it wasn't supposed to be, just entertainment for the TV-viewing public. Look forward to next week's episode.

Maybe that happens next week when the builders are marooned in the Highlands !

More like “I’m getting eaten alive by midges get me out of here!”

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It looked to me as if there was enough clearance for them to get the line under the road/rail bridges, especially given that the rail bridge was a swing bridge so they could lay the track under it/time their own train to run when the track was open.

Also slightly surprising to see that they were using separate joining pieces rather than having a moulded connector in each end of the track sections (as per Triang Series 3 and Kato Unitrack).

They did seem to be busy with hacksaws on the track a few times, and the comment in the next week preview about expansion joints would seem to be the explanation to the separate joining piece.

On the basis that some contributors to the show are members and regular contributors on here, that particular viewpoint is maybe not especially well thought out.

I stand by my comments, this is how I saw the show and I think I am entitled to my opinion (or is this Forum going to cement its past reputation of supressing such dissention).  Yes I did post the same observations on multiple forums and RMweb is the only one where my comments have been met with outright hostility, so you are probably correct in your observations,  There is however an old saying - "to see yourself as other see us"

Jim

I watched David Attenborough during the adverts. It was a pity that programmes about my two interests of model railways and prehistoric animals clashed after little of interest for me for the last two weeks on television.

The Attenborough programme is a repeat and the other programme is repeated at least twice in the next week. Try "4seven" or whatever it's called.

I must admit I wasn't in the right mood to watch it so I can't comment. I'll pick it up on iPlayer or something. That's how I do most TV watching nowadays.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed it. Good to see some modellers I've got to know online starring on TV.

Hands up who's plans for their next layout now include expansion into the garden? ;) 

• Like 4