Ive also made a start on a water tower that will straddle the tracks at the back of the layout. The timber frame is based on the one at Barnoldswick, although that one didn’t straddle the tracks. The frame is made from maple sections, glued up and sanded flat. Work will commence shortly on the tank panels. Just debating with myself as to how much detail I need to do on the panels to represent the million bolts that Helen them together...

post-31608-0-82365700-1526552681_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

You all realise by now how bonkers I am, so here goes...I wasn’t too happy with the bridge so took it off having stuck it down. I re-painted the brick work as it looked a bit too scruffy. I think it now has a more uniform engineering look. I also wasn’t happy with the steel-work colour scheme as it didn’t have enough brown, so I painted a bit more. I’m happier now with the end result. There comes a point where you just have to leave it alone and move on...! Or maybe just a bit more weathering....

attachicon.gif7AEE1BC6-CF06-4964-B8C2-4705F7014138.jpeg

It's knowing when to stop.....I tend to leave things alone for a few days before looking at it again.

A fresh pair of eyes and all that..

Rob.

Richard, have you ever tried or thought about the Archers Decal sheets for rivets etc ?

Haven't used them yet but I'm considering them for a better (?) representation than the thicker Slaters sheets ( which are acceptable anyway ).

Grahame

Richard, have you ever tried or thought about the Archers Decal sheets for rivets etc ?

Haven't used them yet but I'm considering them for a better (?) representation than the thicker Slaters sheets ( which are acceptable anyway ).

Grahame

Yes, I've got as far as thinking about them, but never seen them in the flesh. An interesting concept and would no doubt produce an excellent result. I recall a fairly recent MRJ where Gordon Gravett used them (or something similar) on an oil tanker wagon to great effect.

Quite a bit of progress lately on various building and and structures, more photos to follow. In the meantime, the bridge forming some of the view-blocker has been fitted, along with a representation of the backs of hoardings to further distract the eye. I’m debating whether the backscene needs some more distant buildings etc painted on it as it looks a bit bare. I’m just concerned about achieving the same tonal range as the misty chimneys.

post-31608-0-36342500-1526801833_thumb.jpeg

This next shot shows the dock wall quite nicely caught in early morning sun.

post-31608-0-60974700-1526801936_thumb.jpeg

Lastly, a fairly rubbish shot of progress on the water tank, glueing the sides to a laminated block of MDF. The top surface of this wil get painted and varnished to represent water. I’ve made some more progress on the wooden lattice frame and beams to carry the tank across the tracks, better pics to follow...!

post-31608-0-56027600-1526802143_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

Excellent. I love this, especially the wall with its alternate lines of bricks end on and side on; but especially the weathering on the coping stones. 

This thread is a great inspiration to me.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Richard.

Looks splendid as always.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Excellent. I love this, especially the wall with its alternate lines of bricks end on and side on; but especially the weathering on the coping stones. 

This thread is a great inspiration to me.

English Bond brickwork:

post-6675-0-91938600-1526810828.jpg

English Bond brickwork:

attachicon.gif3-English-bond.jpg

Thanks Chris, the little bricks with crosses in them are Queen Closers; you can see them on the engineering blue brick bridge pier in post 311. To me it makes all the difference in creating convincing architecture.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I’d post a few updates of various bit and bobs I’ve been working on recently.

First up is the loco, which is actually on hold pending arrival of milled and jointed rods from Premier Components and a gear box from ABC. However, the tender is finished. It glides along beautifully and makes a very satisfying ‘clickety-clack’ through pointwork thanks to fully sprung frames. I used Slaters cast brass horn guides but removed the pips that locate the springs, and made up some stiffer springs from guitar wire. The idea being that the axle boxes don’t bottom out on the guides. It took a bit of trial and error but I think is successful.

post-31608-0-30101600-1527745500_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-28335700-1527745594_thumb.jpeg

Next up, some progress on the water tower, the frame is finished and ready to be fixed in place. Ive also made some beams which will span the tracks to take the tank.

post-31608-0-02069400-1527745720_thumb.jpeg

On to the tank itself, the detailing of the tank panels is coming on, I’ve started the ever so slightly bonkers task of sticking about 480 triangles onto the panels, one down, 19 to go, then ive got 480 bolts to stick on...! I keep telling myself it will be worth it...

post-31608-0-94346700-1527745931_thumb.jpeg

Happy days!

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I’ve done a bit more work on the wall forming the entrance to the goods yard. It has to be quite detailed as it’s right at the front of the layout. I’ve got lamps to add to the pillars and some black gate posts next as well, then groundworks. I’m also working on the office which will sit directly behind this wall.

post-31608-0-44145700-1528280050_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-74218300-1528280123_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-05183400-1528280208_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-12283900-1528280337_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16

And here’s a couple of shots of said office, less door, window, gutters, roof. Just the walls in fact...little bit of additional colour to the bricks I think.

post-31608-0-78181800-1528287192_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-32637900-1528287319_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

And here’s a couple of shots of said office, less door, window, gutters, roof. Just the walls in fact...little bit of additional colour to the bricks I think.

attachicon.gif6B9FD4B5-691C-4980-954D-6709C90DB129.jpeg

attachicon.gif28746270-FD41-4A30-93C5-570A15EF372B.jpeg

Fabulous!  The best model brickwork I've ever seen!  I particularly like the ornate brickwork around the eaves and the engineers blue colour is spot on:-)

• RMweb Gold

Quite the nicest, most evocative model buildings I have seen.

Nothing short of railway modelling as an art form.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

Thanks guys...I found the prototype at Beeston, quite a distance from Bristol but there you go...! Also the engineering blue diamonds was my idea. Don’t think the Midland ever didn’t such embellishment but they well could have...’Modeller’s Licence’!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This just gets better and better, down to the reappearance of the "Commit No Nusiance" sign. The only little nagging dout I have is the solitary red "Best Route" poster. It seems to me a little unlikely that this would be a solitary poster stuck to the wall. V.R. Anderson and H.N. Twells, LMS Lineside Part 2 (WSP, 2009) give several examples of the Midland's predeliction for monster-sized headed poster boards - the great-grandaddies of the one and two poster-sized ones you've made, taking up all the available wall-space - or mounted above a wall - taking two rows of double-royal posters. The only problem is, whilst these might give the true note of authenticity, they would hide the rest of your superb modelling from view!

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Stephen, you are, of course, completely right. The poster does look out of place and I think I knew that really; I got a bit too carried away...! I shall change it for something else and in the meantime ponder where I can use the ‘Best Route’ poster - it’s bound to crop up somewhere else!

• RMweb Premium

I thought I’d post a few updates of various bit and bobs I’ve been working on recently.

First up is the loco, which is actually on hold pending arrival of milled and jointed rods from Premier Components and a gear box from ABC. However, the tender is finished. It glides along beautifully and makes a very satisfying ‘clickety-clack’ through pointwork thanks to fully sprung frames. I used Slaters cast brass horn guides but removed the pips that locate the springs, and made up some stiffer springs from guitar wire. The idea being that the axle boxes don’t bottom out on the guides. It took a bit of trial and error but I think is successful.

attachicon.gif8FDAFA3F-A296-40C7-81EE-E7C85F5A4959.jpeg

attachicon.gif7019E2A9-9794-40D9-9B53-AF9561700266.jpeg

Next up, some progress on the water tower, the frame is finished and ready to be fixed in place. Ive also made some beams which will span the tracks to take the tank.

attachicon.gif916AB4BB-4B2E-486E-8A16-0B9EB985F154.jpeg

On to the tank itself, the detailing of the tank panels is coming on, I’ve started the ever so slightly bonkers task of sticking about 480 triangles onto the panels, one down, 19 to go, then ive got 480 bolts to stick on...! I keep telling myself it will be worth it...

attachicon.gif3821809A-A214-44AC-A89E-717D286AA546.jpeg

Happy days!

Water tank... You'll be twitching after fitting all those bits!

• RMweb Gold

Splendid as always, Richard.

What's next I wonder?

Rob.

• Like 1

Splendid as always, Richard.

What's next I wonder?

Rob.

Well...my main focus at the moment is getting all the main buildings and structures done, then I can move on to the ground works. Then motive power, rolling stock, general detailing, ambient sound maybe, etc etc. Time seems to be slipping past quite quickly now, don’t you agree Rob?!

• RMweb Gold

Well...my main focus at the moment is getting all the main buildings and structures done, then I can move on to the ground works. Then motive power, rolling stock, general detailing, ambient sound maybe, etc etc. Time seems to be slipping past quite quickly now, don’t you agree Rob?!

Er....yes. My first cameo entry is near enough complete, aside from a few small details.

The second is still on the back of an envelope......and due to be exhibited in Jan 19....

The main difference is that you are building everything and that is the truly exceptional aspect of this lovely layout.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2