Model Rail 240 October 2017

dibber25

Make tracks for the October Model Rail!

Model Rail has a great new look and lots of new features!

Packed with practical features, advice, inspiration and real layout-building!

Opening the box:

The big picture: Paul Toulmin’s Exeter Junction

News from Hatton’s, OO Works and Kernow MRC.

According to Chris remembers Dave Shakespeare’s contribution to the launch of Model Rail 20 years ago.

Modelling lives: James Lavery

Reviews:

Oxford Rail ‘Dean goods’ 0-6-0 and ‘Carflat’. Bachmann SECR ‘Birdcage’ coaches. Kernow MRC 4-TC trailer EMU.

Layouts and features:

West Coast in ‘N’ (Rail blue era)

Exeter Junction ‘OO’ (Rail blue era)

Dramatic lines: Paul Lunn Woodhead layout plans.

Workbench

Track-laying essentials

Track laying tools

Lay ‘N’ gauge track

Tracks over gaps

Ballasting without tears

Track inspiration

Assemble a Pacer fleet

Put a layout in the loft

Regulars:

Know your stuff, Show & Tell, Exhibition Diary, Backscene.

post-1062-0-84795000-1505748822_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 5

It's like 0 gauge, narrow Gauge & industrial railways never existed. Pass.

Dava

I think that's an unfair statement, not every monthly model publication can cover every aspect of railways in every issue. otherwise each magazine would be 400 pages and cost about £15!

looking back model rail has covered in depth the subjects you mention, especially industrial and O gauge.

• Like 2

So you didn't buy the last few issues then?

They've had quite a lot on those, lets be frank, niche interests over the past year or so. Too much for some people maybe....

I model in 7mm, 009 and have industrial locomotives, but I think that Model Rail would be the last place that I would look for anything substantial on them.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

It's like 0 gauge, narrow Gauge & industrial railways never existed. Pass.

Dava

It's OK I bought the Modeller this month!

Dava

Perhaps a subscription to this might help........This months cover story, James models a river crossing.

Rob

post-14122-0-12230600-1505761421_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581

Hi

What is the GWR cover layout please?

Ian

Totnes in OO Gauge. The layout was featured a while back IIRC.  The shot nicely captures the footbridge, the old South Devon Railway downside buildings (destroyed by fire in the '60s, IIRC), and the goods shed in the background.  4 tracked through the station to avoid congestion, so the featured train must be a stopper!

CJL can correct me if I got any of that wrong!

Edited by Edwardian

Totnes in OO Gauge. The layout was featured a while back IIRC.  The shot nicely captures the footbridge, the old South Devon Railway downside buildings (destroyed by fire in the '60s, IIRC), and the goods shed in the background.  4 tracked through the station to avoid congestion, so the featured train must be a stopper!

CJL can correct me if I got any of that wrong!

You're probably correct - I don't know Totnes' history that well. Yes, the layout was featured in Model Rail 203/204 December 2014/Jan 2015. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

An interesting editorial about the 'warts 'n all' review of the Oxford Dean Goods and confirming the line MR takes in its reviews.

I would have been very surprised had it been otherwise.One ray of hope is the recommendation that we wait for Locomotion's version due shortly. We shall see...The review is an affirmation that Model Rail maintains its integrity as an impartial independent journal and is not a rubber stamp for commercially produced r-t-r models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Got my subs copy last week, really enjoyed this issue but I do enjoy a good round roundy attic layout over say a shunting plank so the attic feature was an interesting one for me

The better trackwork article is also very useful as I near a point where I can crack on with that on my own layout

• RMweb Gold

"Assemble a Pacer fleet"

Raises many questions, mainly why and are they contagious!

I can only assume that someone working on ModelRail might be planning a scrapyard scene, set in 2020.

Either that, or they might have heard something we haven't, about the government backtracking on requiring TOCs to do something about non-compliant "trains".

After all, they can be trusted on electrification in Wales, the West Country and the Midlands - can't they?

Huw.

For a 'trackwork' issue I'd have like to have seen a bit about creating/laying third rail (and fourth) track especially in N gauge where there isn't the option of Peco parts for it.

G.

Edited by grahame

"Assemble a Pacer fleet"

Raises many questions, mainly why and are they contagious!

At

Nik

We shouldn't really be cruel to Pacers.....but it is fun! I recall a trip to Bideford to buy some negatives when I was at Ian Allan in the 1980s, and the interesting 'syncopated' ride to Barnstaple in a Pacer. In those days that stretch of the former SR still had plenty of 45ft track panels. More recently (2009) I did the same trip in a fresh-from-shops refurbished First Group 143. Had anyone taken a test ride they would have known that something hadn't been fitted properly, for, as it accelerated up through the gears on leaving each station, there was the most ear-splinting resonance through all the internal body panels. I christened it 'Evil Edna' after the rogue TV character in a children's programme. Will we miss them when they're gone? For me, not like I miss the 121s. (CJL)

For a 'trackwork' issue I'd have like to have seen a bit about creating/laying third rail (and fourth) track especially in N gauge where there isn't the option of Peco parts for it.

G.

I'm not sure I'd know where to begin - and I do have to lay a bit of cosmetic 3rd rail on my current N gauge project. However, I'm inclined to the view that it's so niche, it would be difficult to justify giving much space to it. (CJL)

I'm inclined to the view that it's so niche, it would be difficult to justify giving much space to it. (CJL)

Wasn't saying there had to be pages, but some space would have been nice (it didn't have to be much), after all there are RTR third rail EMUs in N, and there wasn't anything about third rail track in OO either.

G.

I can only assume that someone working on ModelRail might be planning a scrapyard scene, set in 2020.

Either that, or they might have heard something we haven't, about the government backtracking on requiring TOCs to do something about non-compliant "trains".

After all, they can be trusted on electrification in Wales, the West Country and the Midlands - can't they?

Huw.

Well the things they are replacing them with up here are of a similar vintage....

The 319s being built in 1987 as opposed to the Pacers being built 1985 to 1987.

I hope some get preserved, I reckon they would be pretty useful on a heritage line.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Wasn't saying there had to be pages, but some space would have been nice (it didn't have to be much), after all there are RTR third rail EMUs in N, and there wasn't anything about third rail track in OO either.

G.

I did a piece a while back on using the Peco 'OO' gauge 3rd rail. I had the very fine etched items with the protection planks etc but they were beyond my aged eyesight to install. (CJL)