Route Discs/ Question answered (to my shame)

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I have been trying to estimate the diameter of the route discs used on the steam hauled SR services. I've got a fair idea of what it probably is, however does anyone know exactly? Rather stupidly I forgot to measure the real thing when I visited the GC recently.

Thank you

Phl

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Oh bo###cks. Have they got them in the accessories pack? Must have but I have not opened one of those yet. Doh!

I shall try to engage some sort of brain cell before asking such a carp question in future. Cheers Dudds.

Bonjour,

Philth

• RMweb Premium

Roxey Mouldings do an etch of 16 discs for £2.50 - http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/463/4a109-sr-locomotive-headcode-discs/

Thanks for that reminder Robert. Duly ordered a few as I will need a good supply.

Phil

The Engine Head Signal discs to give them their correct name were in SR and BR( s) days 15" diameter. 

Thanks Graham. I never knew they had that grand title despite being intersted for 60+ years.

All the best,

Phil

• RMweb Premium

The ones Bachmann supply with their E4's are really rather nice.  I keep annoying the Bachmann minions at shows with suggestions they make them available separately, the Hornby ones are mere miniature shirt buttons by comparison.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The ones Bachmann supply with their E4's are really rather nice.  I keep annoying the Bachmann minions at shows with suggestions they make them available separately, the Hornby ones are mere miniature shirt buttons by comparison.

I don't have my E4 to hand, so cannot compare Bachmann's with Hornby's, but Roxey Mouldings' are very nice with their handles and fitting brackets.

• 1 month later...

The numbers on the headcode discs (shortened name) were pieces of paper stuck on so it's quite easy to print them, cut them out and glue them on.  They need a spot of weathering too.  I can't find my research into which fonts and sizes to use - it was trial and error comparing with photos I'm afraid.