Trains return to Broadway

locoholic

I think the GCR have found that their double track has basically doubled the liability, but had next to no impact on the balance sheet. I stand to be corrected on that, but I can't see how it would bring in any additional non-enthusiasts, and those of us who are afflicted are way too picky for it to help (I recently booked myself a driver experience, and ruled out a bunch of perfectly good railways because I don't want to pay all that money and have to drive some copper-topped junk, for example...).

• Like 1

I guess. Horsted Keynes is the one I notice most (and being a big station it's got quite a main line feel to it), but Loughborough Central pops up reasonably often - though station scenes of course don't need any track at all beyond station limits, never mind double.

To stay vaguely on topic, I've recognised Toddington in Father Brown...

• RMweb Gold

If I understand it correctly the underbridge nearest to Broadway is currently under repair as a result of a bridge strike some time ago.

Further to my recent post, I have since spoken to someone who knows more than me and I believe that there was another, more recent bridge strike, which is why these repairs are now required. Apparently the bridge in question is now festooned with hi-vis signs, warning lorry drivers of the low bridge.

Edited by Captain Kernow

If the bridge near me is anything to go by, signs don't work, high vis warning chevrons don't work, high vis chevroned signs with 2ft high day glow lettering don't work, remote overheight measuring equipment that flashes up a bloody great lit sign 100 yards from the bridge doesn't work. Morons will always find a way to ignore every single anti strike measure. At least the Broadway bridge is relatively square on to the road, our bridge is heavily skewed and at least twice cars in the other lane have been flattened with fatal consequences because some idiot won't heed the warnings.

If the bridge near me is anything to go by, signs don't work, high vis warning chevrons don't work, high vis chevroned signs with 2ft high day glow lettering don't work, remote overheight measuring equipment that flashes up a bloody great lit sign 100 yards from the bridge doesn't work. Morons will always find a way to ignore every single anti strike measure. At least the Broadway bridge is relatively square on to the road, our bridge is heavily skewed and at least twice cars in the other lane have been flattened with fatal consequences because some idiot won't heed the warnings.

The problem tends to be drivers on auto pilot and we are all capable of it.

There was a bridge round my way like that and consequently it wasn't on any bus route.

Trouble was, the bridge was close to the bus garage and therefore on the way to and from work for many of the bus drivers.

Double deck bus routes either side of it and you would be surprised the number of times drivers simply lost track of where they were, what they were driving and removed the top deck.

• Like 1

Yes. Signs can only do so much if the blithering idiot driving the vehicle doesn't realise that, perhaps, they may be relevant to them. As usual the problem is drivers who do not know the height of their vehicle.

post-3643-0-26416600-1518776971_thumb.jpg

On 11/02/2018 at 15:29, Captain Kernow said:

Further to my recent post, I have since spoken to someone who knows more than me and I believe that there was another, more recent bridge strike, which is why these repairs are now required. Apparently the bridge in question is now festooned with hi-vis signs, warning lorry drivers of the low bridge.

They sure have:

2128878360_BroadwaybridgeP1140136.JPG.24485d76bec0ca5e2d3eec48af632deb.JPG

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photo
  • Like 2

At Berkswell station (near Coventry) there is a very low underbridge (cars only), above is the WCML.

There was no way they could risk bridge strikes so either side of the bridge is protected by steel girders to give the motorists something else to hit rather than the bridge.

http://ajdor.co.uk/secondary/Book1web.htm

At Berkswell station (near Coventry) there is a very low underbridge (cars only), above is the WCML.

There was no way they could risk bridge strikes so either side of the bridge is protected by steel girders to give the motorists something else to hit rather than the bridge.

better link

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&biw=1920&bih=981&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=p_-HWqitDouXgAbglKPICw&q=truggist+lane+bridge&oq=truggist+lane+bridge&gs_l=psy-ab.3...62930.72146.0.72650.36.19.0.7.7.0.78.1192.18.18.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..15.16.647...0j0i24k1j0i67k1j0i10k1j0i10i24k1.0.WEeVXPIilTc#imgrc=W0CcwSVDGHH7sM:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A much better solution, no amount of signage seems to work but hitting a girder first might just alert the driver of an oversized vehicle there is something ahead they need to pay attention to before they do serious damage by hitting the bridge. By then it's too late!

Cheers,

Keith

My feeling is the GWR have over extended their line, a round trip will take a long time and neither Cheltenham Racecourse nor Broadway stations are within walking distance of their respective town/ village centres so a round trip is the only logical scenario other than a one way trip as part of a coach trip or someone taking the car from one end to the other.   All this will take visitors away from the current hub at Toddington.   Apart from Stanway viaduct immediately north of Toddington the scenery north of Toddington is pretty boring much of it in a cutting. I may be wrong but I suspect a large increase in operating costs without a corresponding increase in revenue will result.

I also have to disagree with this statement.

I personally think the GWR is building into a fantastic railway (one of the best in the country) and I am an avid follower of the excellent blogs on their website that keep people superbly updated on progress as it happens. The number of volunteers seems to be very high and these people are a very committed bunch. I am certainly looking forward to visiting the extended line this year (probably for me at the Diesel Gala events).

It is not too long at all compared to others and they are building a lovely cafe at Broadway which will be very popular during turnarounds (can't wait for my first cuppa!!). As the line gets longer and settles down they should probably think about speeding up the service slightly to reduce the time spent sitting stationary at Toddington/Winchcombe stations on some services.

I have thought before that a bit of double track would be excellent on the lines of the Great Central. Now that would be superb.....we shouldn't get carried away but we live in hope maybe for one day.

Anyway best wishes to the GWR and volunteers on their reopening which is fast approaching....

Onwards and upwards......

Deltic17

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I need to renew my membership, but many years ago I drove to Broadway from Toddington and the route is pretty scenic.

Cutting to viaduct, then bits of cutting, changing to embankment all the way to the other side of Broadway.

Very scenic, carried workers in a dump truck to clear the lineside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This featured on tonight's Midlands Today and is a splendid achievement. Ticket sales have gone through the roof as it corresponds with Easter.Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

My first trip to Broadway today:

post-15533-0-43590500-1522603568_thumb.jpg

Definitely makes a big difference to the line - opens up a lot of opportunities to make a day of it, together with the halt at Hayles Abbey.

post-15533-0-28553400-1522603587_thumb.jpg

The station at Broadway has been done very well indeed - it looks as though it has been there for the last 100 years.

This last shot is the way north to Honeybourne...

post-15533-0-10192500-1522603550_thumb.jpg

• Like 18