MRJ 260

drduncan

If anyone wants sizes, Bill's "sections" are about 5 to 6cm max at widest point, and his are mostly olive green (well he is Southern....Ireland)

Don't forget that as they age, they tend to darken in colour.

Other horses on different feeds can turn out shades such as orange green; I've also seen orange-brown.

• RMweb Gold

So am I.

I infer from that that you wear an outfit of olive green, perhaps to blend in with the woods and forests of southern Ireland, where you and your band of merry men can linger and loiter and relieve the odd Norman baron of his gold, which you will then redistribute to all deserving GWR enthusiasts in the district.

I infer from that that you wear an outfit of olive green, perhaps to blend in with the woods and forests of southern Ireland, where you and your band of merry men can linger and loiter and relieve the odd Norman baron of his gold, which you will then redistribute to all deserving GWR enthusiasts in the district.

So tis a holiday beyond the Pale this year, clutching a copy of GWRJ to prevent confusion with Gold Bearing Norman Barons?  :jester:

While in the UK for NY, I picked up BRM, RM, and MR, but MRJ was not to be seen. Looking at the current issue, I've just ordered a copy from Newsstand. I'll see if it could be a longer-term subscription.

• RMweb Premium

That 2mm point rodding is stunning, as is nearly everything in the modelled trackwork.

Shame about the gaps in the pcb not being filled: completely destroyed the illusion.

Just a brief follow up to my previous response. I was at Laurie's place on Sunday and I can confirm that the trackwork on the layout does indeed have all its gaps properly filled. It is an ambitious project, for what is primarily a "one man band" and working to those sorts of standards takes time. So it will be a little while (or indeed a long while!) before track and point rodding are all complete on the layout. Which is why test pieces were photographed for the article.

• Like 1

While in the UK for NY, I picked up BRM, RM, and MR, but MRJ was not to be seen. Looking at the current issue, I've just ordered a copy from Newsstand. I'll see if it could be a longer-term subscription.

The mag has its own subscription scheme, quicker and better packed than Newstand.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

My copy arrived en las montanas espanolas yesterday, duly collected from the Ayuntimiento today.

Another excellent issue, yet again with nothing of specific interest to me, but fascinating, informative and educational as ever.

When the Trellis era draws to a close, another page of photographs could maybe be found?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Just a brief follow up to my previous response. I was at Laurie's place on Sunday and I can confirm that the trackwork on the layout does indeed have all its gaps properly filled. It is an ambitious project, for what is primarily a "one man band" and working to those sorts of standards takes time. So it will be a little while (or indeed a long while!) before track and point rodding are all complete on the layout. Which is why test pieces were photographed for the article.

Thanks. Couldn’t find mention of that in the article: if I have missed it, someone feel free to point me in the right direction.

I was slightly annoyed by the absence of a photo of the Perspex window on Abbey Street, as it was mentioned in the text. This happens not infrequently in magazines, including MRJ.

With regard to the horse excrement outpourings, there was a company in Chester called 'Dobbins Manure' (honestly!) and they had their own private owner wagons.  I remember seeing an photo of an abandoned aging and very mature wagon load of raw 'fertiliser' and it had a veritable forest growing out of it.

However, some of it might of been of Bovine and/or Ovine origin rather than pure Horse.  Would this add or detract from its overall fertilising capabilities?

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to the publishers this morning regarding the non-delivery of my subscription copy of No 260 and they are sending out another copy together with a renewal notice.

They also told me that around a dozen other subscribers who would have been due to receive a renewal notice with this issue have also failed to receive a copy.

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the horse excrement outpourings, there was a company in Chester called 'Dobbins Manure' (honestly!) and they had their own private owner wagons.  I remember seeing an photo of an abandoned aging and very mature wagon load of raw 'fertiliser' and it had a veritable forest growing out of it.

However, some of it might of been of Bovine and/or Ovine origin rather than pure Horse.  Would this add or detract from its overall fertilising capabilities?

The only stuff that causes trouble is "Bovine - male" :jester:

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I spoke to the publishers this morning regarding the non-delivery of my subscription copy of No 260 and they are sending out another copy together with a renewal notice.

They also told me that around a dozen other subscribers who would have been due to receive a renewal notice with this issue have also failed to receive a copy.

I spoke to them today on the same subject, and that number has now gone up to about 36.

[The excessive delay in following up my copy is caused by my medical condition.]