DCC INVESTIGATION

pdj49

• RMweb Premium

I had lots of runaways the first time I exhibited my DCC layout. I didn’t know why at the time so any loco that ran away had to be removed from the layout. At the start of the show I was using a ZTC 511, then switched to a really basic Bachmann controller, but that did not stop the runaways.

Back home when I placed a loco on the test track that had runaway at the show, it was still going at full speed. Reset the decoders (several different makes) and turning DC mode off and I’ve not had the problem since.

The exhibition was in a school and the most likely cause of the problem was thought to be the schools ‘dirty’ electric supply causing spikes in the mains input. More recently I’ve also been wondering if another layout was connected to the same mains circuit and that was causing the problem. The schools wi-fi was also suspected as a source of the problem.

For what it's worth, then, I use NCE Powercab, with 5amp booster & Cab04 second controller, for a 17 x 8 O Scale layout, wired the 'normal' way for DCC with a household twin&earth bus cable and droppers from household 'appliance' cable, & Tam Valley Frog Juicers at the turnouts.

Never had a runaway, nor previously when I used DCC in HO scale. I always program my locos to be 'DCC Only'.

I usually check RMweb every day via the 'New Content' tab. Can't say as I've seen any other Threads come up about runaways on DCC. Neither has it come up in conversations at Shows or with other modellers, so it can't be a common problem. Going by other replies today, looks like it's the ZTC that's the problem.

• RMweb Gold

We have had runaways upon the DCC recovering from a short, mainly locos that have had DC enabled as a particular friend didnt have DCC but fitted decoders so he could run them on the layout. Locos without DC enabled havent runaway IIRC.

We use Digitrax command stations.

Edited by roundhouse

Can you provide the confirmation that you will be meeting the forthcoming GDPR requirements?

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/

If you are not going to meet them fully then you will be in contravention and leaving yourself open to legal challenge. I suggest that as a small company you seriously reconsider the manner in which you are collecting and using this information.

If you check the ICO website you will see that Taunton Controls are registered.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst you've made 3, so you're winning, well done! There is so little being captured to which GDPR applies it's not really an issue. Sure you can exercise your right to be forgotten though!

Still perplexed by the whole thing, but intrigued by the results nonetheless!

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't get more illegal. Yes, GDPR is more over arching, and has all sorts of irritating nuances that are keeping contractors in business up and down the land as they help make companies comply, but publishing personal information online (for example) isn't great now, and won't be under GDPR. It's not something I would say is "VERY important" in this context, YMMV.

MERG system, 3 to 4 dinasuar operators, single garage sized double over figure 8 not zoned. Multiple consist HO American average 5 locos in one go, Wifi via Ipod touch control option(thats a big clue)indoors . In addition the layout is around 20 years old and has been run via a MERG system for most of that time, point control can be via handsets or from a control panel switch, the layout gets operated properly once a week, track rarely cleaned(another clue) Decoders are from ESU, Zimo, Tsunami and Lenz 50% sound equiped. Hope this helps, layout owner is very knowledgable having been involved with MERG for many years, we get about 2 or 3 a year and there is no pattern, home loco just as prone as visiting .

Further to my previous post, no one has used the Ipod touch(it's usually me) for some months, this coincides with no run aways and non of my most recent purchases in the past 3 years. As I always disable dc running, with potentially, between the owner and 3 regulars theres well over 100 locos available so some dc enabled may have slipped through. Only 2 of us have access to JMRI where dc disable is about the second or third option after address and speed steps. We are all the wrong side of 55 and apart from the layout owner class ourselves as old f**ts and dinosaurs, so running against a wrongly set point is a weekly event , but it's all good clean fun if you don't mind the "Chuckle Brothers".

Whilst you've made 3, so you're winning, well done! There is so little being captured to which GDPR applies it's not really an issue. Sure you can exercise your right to be forgotten though!

Still perplexed by the whole thing, but intrigued by the results nonetheless!

oh my word - my work has gone CRAZY with GDPR..... !!! worth while from a customer point of view though