Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Playing music at exhibitions - is it a good idea?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 Dagworth

Dagworth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,074 posts
  • LocationThe DCC surgery - Cheltenham, England

Posted 19 April 2018 - 18:43

The reason for raising this in the first place is that music forms the soundtrack to life for many people. I would never play a Rick Astley song by choice but hearing that sort of music would for me add to building the correct atmosphere for a late eighties layout.

I would never play Rick Astley either, but it seems that the "Rickrolling" joke has passed RMweb readers by :(

Andi
  • Like x 1

#102 brack

brack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 19:04

Surely rickrolling must've made a fair bit of royalties for Mr Waterman, so it may have helped bankroll kits which were available or PW's preservation involvement. So many on here may have benefitted from the sound of Never Gonna Give You Up.
  • Agree x 1

#103 F-UnitMad

F-UnitMad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationEverybody gotta be somewhere...

Posted 19 April 2018 - 19:08

The reason for raising this in the first place is that music forms the soundtrack to life for many people. I would never play a Rick Astley song by choice but hearing that sort of music would for me add to building the correct atmosphere for a late eighties layout.

All the more reason NOT to build a late eighties layout!!! :nono: :shout: :sarcastichand:

#104 great central

great central

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 19:14

War weekends and Sixties weekends are very popular on heritage railways. How about model railway exhibitions with similar themes?

Themed layouts with appropriate music, maybe a band and people dressing up. That way people know what they are getting. It might even attract a few that wouldn't normally attend a model railway exhibition.

Jason

Well we did kinda try 20 odd years ago when we took Deepcar to York show. The official opening was performed by the Lord Mayor, who was then given a tour of the show. We greeted him and the Lady Mayoress wearing Viking helmets:-)
  • Funny x 1

#105 Clive Mortimore

Clive Mortimore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere Lincolnshire

Posted 19 April 2018 - 19:16

I would never play Rick Astley either, but it seems that the "Rickrolling" joke has passed RMweb readers by :(

Andi

Hi Dagworth

It did me. :( Anyhow you misery, Mr Astley seems a nice clean cut and decent type of young chap, none of that long haired loud guitar noise. So why not play him? :rolleyes:

Edited by Clive Mortimore, 19 April 2018 - 19:17 .

• Funny x 1
  • Like x 1