Playing music at exhibitions - is it a good idea?

• RMweb Gold

The reason for raising this in the first place is that music forms the soundtrack to life for many people. I would never play a Rick Astley song by choice but hearing that sort of music would for me add to building the correct atmosphere for a late eighties layout.

I would never play Rick Astley either, but it seems that the "Rickrolling" joke has passed RMweb readers by :(

Andi

• Like 1

Surely rickrolling must've made a fair bit of royalties for Mr Waterman, so it may have helped bankroll kits which were available or PW's preservation involvement. So many on here may have benefitted from the sound of Never Gonna Give You Up.

The reason for raising this in the first place is that music forms the soundtrack to life for many people. I would never play a Rick Astley song by choice but hearing that sort of music would for me add to building the correct atmosphere for a late eighties layout.

All the more reason NOT to build a late eighties layout!!! :nono: :shout: :sarcastichand:

War weekends and Sixties weekends are very popular on heritage railways. How about model railway exhibitions with similar themes?

Themed layouts with appropriate music, maybe a band and people dressing up. That way people know what they are getting. It might even attract a few that wouldn't normally attend a model railway exhibition.

Jason

Well we did kinda try 20 odd years ago when we took Deepcar to York show. The official opening was performed by the Lord Mayor, who was then given a tour of the show. We greeted him and the Lady Mayoress wearing Viking helmets:-)

• RMweb Premium

I would never play Rick Astley either, but it seems that the "Rickrolling" joke has passed RMweb readers by :(

Andi

Hi Dagworth

It did me. :( Anyhow you misery, Mr Astley seems a nice clean cut and decent type of young chap, none of that long haired loud guitar noise. So why not play him? :rolleyes:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Maybe the solution for those people who really want sound at shows is an induction-loop or very low power RF system over which to broadcast the sound to small headsets. 

That way those who want to hear the sound can do so over the hubbub of the exhibition hall, those that don't want to hear the sound don't have to, and exhibition organisers can make a bob or two hiring out the headsets. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Maybe the solution for those people who really want sound at shows is an induction-loop or very low power RF system over which to broadcast the sound to small headsets. 

That way those who want to hear the sound can do so over the hubbub of the exhibition hall, those that don't want to hear the sound don't have to, and exhibition organisers can make a bob or two hiring out the headsets.

Now that is an idea worth pursuing.

• 2 years later...
On 19/04/2018 at 13:14, Steamport Southport said:

War weekends and Sixties weekends are very popular on heritage railways. How about model railway exhibitions with similar themes?

Themed layouts with appropriate music, maybe a band and people dressing up. That way people know what they are getting. It might even attract a few that wouldn't normally attend a model railway exhibition.

Jason

Noooo.. You're in the land of fantasy here Jones.

• RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2018 at 10:19, Chris M said:

It seems to me that, if you have a layout set in a specific time period then maybe quietly playing music of the era in the background at an exhibition might add to the overall atmosphere of the layout. Just wondering what others think?

I think the music would need to be sufficiently quiet to not annoy neighbouring exhibits.

I think there would need to be a check that the venue has a licence for playing music; I know the NEC hasn't and it would be expensive for an exhibition to buy a licence. 

Is there anything else that needs to be considered?

Would there be no point because if the music is at a level that doesn't annoy other exhibitors would it be too quiet for visitors to notice?

Is this just a bad idea or might it work? What do exhibition visitors think?

One potential problem is that we would all like to hear the music we like but not the music we don't like.

It has been done in the past and any/all sound can get get very annoying very quickly at exhibitions, especially of you are on a neighbouring stand. I have dabbled with sound but home use only for me.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/04/2018 at 20:16, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Dagworth

It did me. :( Anyhow you misery, Mr Astley seems a nice clean cut and decent type of young chap, none of that long haired loud guitar noise. So why not play him? :rolleyes:

Ever done backing tracks for punk-era layouts Clive?

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Ever done backing tracks for punk-era layouts Clive?

Hi Eric

No.

I always have some sort of background music on when modelling or running trains, mainly female punk bands. I do have question for everyone why do all the good songs come on when I am running a noisy Lima loco? :dontknow:

26 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Eric

No.

I always have some sort of background music on when modelling or running trains, mainly female punk bands. I do have question for everyone why do all the good songs come on when I am running a noisy Lima loco? :dontknow:

Would playing "Self Preservation Society"  be too tenuous a link for running Lima locos?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

When I saw the title I had sudden visions (if that's the correct word in this context) of someone regaling the assembled masses at Ally Pally with a Bach Toccata on the Great Hall organ

Given the lamentable absence of Baroque railways, I shan't be doing this  (and I can't play the organ either in case you were worrying) .

However this does raise the question of what you would play as background for your L&MR layout featuring your Hornby Rocket and K's/IKB Lion... Beethoven? Schubert? (2-3 years dead at that point).  Mendolssohn's Scottish Symphony? (He did at least visit these shores)

Those with 1930s LMS WCML layouts can at least subsist on "Coronation Scot" and Brittan's music for "Night Mail"