Colas Class 70

RateTheFreight

Simon's quite correct. The Class 70s will be in boxes inside a container inside or on a boat. They may have been loaded first onto the boat and they're at the bottom or last to be loaded and on top. If they're at the bottom on the boat they may be on the top of a stack of containers on the dockside; if they were on top they may be at the bottom. Then customs need to look over pieces of paper and even inside containers; then they get passed to freight forwarders who may be straight on the case and take it to Barwell or there may be a wait of a few days before a tractor unit is available. Then a sample batch needs to be QC checked and depending on findings may then get released and then packed in more boxes to go to retailers and then TNT do their bit in trying to get boxes to shops.

Therefore no-one can give an accurate date but as already advised they are on their way.

Are we nearly there yet?

Simon's quite correct. The Class 70s will be in boxes inside a container inside or on a boat. They may have been loaded first onto the boat and they're at the bottom or last to be loaded and on top. If they're at the bottom on the boat they may be on the top of a stack of containers on the dockside; if they were on top they may be at the bottom. Then customs need to look over pieces of paper and even inside containers; then they get passed to freight forwarders who may be straight on the case and take it to Barwell or there may be a wait of a few days before a tractor unit is available. Then a sample batch needs to be QC checked and depending on findings may then get released and then packed in more boxes to go to retailers and then TNT do their bit in trying to get boxes to shops.

Therefore no-one can give an accurate date but as already advised they are on their way.

Are we nearly there yet?

"Perfect" Delivery summary

More in depth than we perhaps realise !!!

Cheers, Paul

But they've been "on the way" since last year. You can't tell me they don't know where the product they've spent thousands on manufacturing is in the supply chain, surely?

It would be nice if there was some sort of reason given as to the delay of products, especially those that get pushed back month after month without explanation. Sure the delay sucks, but if they said it was a QC issue and stuff had to be remade, or it was a manpower issue in the facory or whatever, then at least it gives us some insight into what the hold up is rather than continuous silent push backs.

We are their customer at the end of the day, surely we're allowed some info on what the crack is?

Andy.

Edited by SWT442

• RMweb Gold

Personally I’m not that interested in the how’s and why they are late, they are on the way ive got one ordered from my local shop, ill collect it when I get a call to say it’s arrived

I have been looking forward to getting this loco though, I was the first person to drive the real one off the docks in liverpool so it has personal Interest for me

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

That sounds a great reason to get the Model Jim.

I don’t really need a Colas 70 but I think the livery suits the model well. Having seen a few at Bescot in passing by and with them appearing at Grangemouth and on workings like the Dalston tanks it’s becoming a model I can find a use for!

Cheers

Mark

Personally I’m not that interested in the how’s and why they are late, they are on the way ive got one ordered from my local shop, ill collect it when I get a call to say it’s arrived

I have been looking forward to getting this loco though, I was the first person to drive the real one off the docks in liverpool so it has personal Interest for me

And that's fair enough, and also a good reason to get one!

I don't mind a wait for stuff, but I do like to know to why I'm waiting for something, even more so when it's way overdue without reason.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Same here, sold it on eBay about 3 months back on the strength of an announcement saying ‘the Colas 70 will be delivered next month’ and it went for a lot more than the Bachmann release will be selling for!

• 1 month later...

I hope so. I asked the chaps on the Bachmann stand at DEMU when they were due, and was told within the next month. I did point out that the guy I spoke to at Ally Pally in March said the same thing, and was reassured that they're definately going to be here within the month.

Think they mentioned the delay was due to Chinese New Year. Though, they were supposed to be here well before our New Year, let alone the Chinese one!

Honestly, I'm not holding my breath. The due dates given have not been correct so far, so no reason why this one will be.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

That Bachmann container must be lost on the back of a lorry somewhere. I'm sure that boats on it's way back to China by now.....

I'm blaming Somalien pirates.  Thats the only logical explanation.  Apart from alient abduction obviously.....

Understand the ship arrived at Felixstowe on Friday so presumably the consignment will reach Barwell this week what with customs, transport, etc.

Spot on. I think some people believe that the Royal Mail are waiting at the dock gates to pick up a parcel to get it straight out to all these VIPs. They'll be in a container with various other items which need to be unloaded, sorted, palletised and then picked for retail orders for FedEx to do their bit of the chain etc. Let's hope these retailers don't go home that night for dinneer until they've sent every one of those orders out.  :scratchhead:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Spot on. I think some people believe that the Royal Mail are waiting at the dock gates to pick up a parcel to get it straight out to all these VIPs. They'll be in a container with various other items which need to be unloaded, sorted, palletised and then picked for retail orders for FedEx to do their bit of the chain etc. Let's hope these retailers don't go home that night for dinneer until they've sent every one of those orders out:scratchhead:delivered them personally...

There - amended accordingly.

• Like 1

With the price of models nowadays, surely they will be delivered personally and in Rolls Royces!

That's (one of) the problem(s). Some people expect Rolls Royce quality for Lada money, it cannot happen, and it would mean the end for manufacturers very quickly. Going forwards no new models (because no manufacturer can make money) = the death of this hobby.

Understand the ship arrived at Felixstowe on Friday so presumably the consignment will reach Barwell this week what with customs, transport, etc.

Thanks for the info Simon. Would've been better coming through Southampton Docks. I could've picked mine up personally on the way to one of our sites in there! :derisive:

Spot on. I think some people believe that the Royal Mail are waiting at the dock gates to pick up a parcel to get it straight out to all these VIPs. They'll be in a container with various other items which need to be unloaded, sorted, palletised and then picked for retail orders for FedEx to do their bit of the chain etc. Let's hope these retailers don't go home that night for dinneer until they've sent every one of those orders out.  :scratchhead:

I for one am well aware how the system works, and glad that they go to company HQ for final checking before going out to the shops. But, I think I'm a bit justified in being somewhat peeved that there's been a years delay on a model for no given reason. For me personally, a bit of info on what's what goes a long way, whether it's good or bad.

As an aside, for me the hobby is an escape from my work life. And at the moment, the hobby seems to be mirroring my work life with all the constant delays on obtaining what I'm after. Only difference is I've not got a site manager breathing down my neck! :butcher: 

Andy.

Spot on. I think some people believe that the Royal Mail are waiting at the dock gates to pick up a parcel to get it straight out to all these VIPs. They'll be in a container with various other items which need to be unloaded, sorted, palletised and then picked for retail orders for FedEx to do their bit of the chain etc. Let's hope these retailers don't go home that night for dinneer until they've sent every one of those orders out. :scratchhead:

I don’t think that’s the case at all, the shipping companies track their containers all over the world so Bachmann would know exactly where they are the same as we do with our panels for the Hong Kong Metro. At each change point you can get an update, we’ve been sent video evidence of the containers being loaded and unloaded.

It’s more about the promises they make with delivery dates (again) that is causing the frustration.

Just keen to get our hands on this one

Edited by martin_l_jones

I don’t think that’s the case at all, the shipping companies track their containers all over the world so Bachmann would know exactly where they are the same as we do with our panels for the Hong Kong Metro. 

Of course they know but (rightly) they don't get sucked into giving a daily update of precisely where a container is from leaving the factory gates, sitting on a quayside, being loaded on to the boat, where the boat is and how long the queue for Suez is, what the weather's like in the Bay of Biscay, how many crane drivers are available at Felixstowe, what time the haulage company picked the container up from the docks, how many hours the driver's got left on his tacho and so on.

I don't recall any promises being made on delivery dates from anyone, just guidelines and estimates.

I don’t think there is any need t

Of course they know but (rightly) they don't get sucked into giving a daily update of precisely where a container is from leaving the factory gates, sitting on a quayside, being loaded on to the boat, where the boat is and how long the queue for Suez is, what the weather's like in the Bay of Biscay, how many crane drivers are available at Felixstowe, what time the haulage company picked the container up from the docks, how many hours the driver's got left on his tacho and so on.

I don't recall any promises being made on delivery dates from anyone, just guidelines and estimates.

I don’t think there is any need to be sarcastic, I’m not asking for that amount of detail just a realistic delivery date and I don’t believe it’s an excuse to say that these are only model trains...

I don’t want to be critical but it’s all down to good project management.

I wish we could say to our customers you might get them sometime this year......

• RMweb Gold

They are just being prototypical, if you remember the first batch of the real thing sat on the docks at Liverpool for 2-3 weeks before being collected