What are BRM playing at?

Rick-H

Perhaps making the extra benefits exclusively about N gauge D&E would be a good idea.

Well that's you sorted. Will have to ask Stubby's permission first though.

So EVERY "extra" has to be useful to EVERY person who might subscribe? Nailing that list down is going to take a very long time...

No, it just has to be useful to me, and me alone. If it benefits anyone else, that is of no concern to me, who is paramount.

I should point out that I'm not that selfish, but I can't help thinking a lot of folk will see it that way even if they wouldn't admit it...

• RMweb Gold

Outstanding! But was that newly register, or log-in (and register new or the same preferences)?

I tried to log-in, but it wouldn't take my password (which I do not want to change), so I tried to newly register, but it would not take my email address, saying it was already in use (the address is absolutely unique to me).

Flummoxed of France.

I had to make up a new password but that wasn't too tricky

Jerry

Well that's you sorted. Will have to ask Stubby's permission first though.

So long as you don't ask the pre-grouping OO groupies - they don't seem to agree on anything.

G

• RMweb Gold

This reminds me of sureveys where people give away their password in return for chocolate - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3639679.stm

Offer me chocolate for my password and I'll say, "Of course. It's Weetabix". Then I'd go around and next time say, "Of course, it's Marmite." In fact I can invent lots of passwords in return for choccie! If you then want to conclude that people will give you their TRUE password, that's your problem. 

I have enough trouble remembering the passwords I do use let alone the ones I invent.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting. The original offer email was sent to the RMweb email list. To qualify for your free issue of BRM you need to either have, or create an account on World-of-Railways. That will be why your email address and password aren't recognised. 

I get these free offers for something to which I have already subscribed, too.

It's not that you send them out which bothers me, it's the fact that having taken up an offer and become a subscriber, getting an email about new offers I can't take is a waste of your and my time.

Can't you de-duplicate the RMweb email list against BRM subscribers?

(I shall now discover that I have used two different email addresses, and that it is my own stupid fault! If so, that's fine, but don't send offers trying to attract new subscribers to your existing subscribers.)

...the interesting thing about my email page is that it has a 'delete' button to get rid of what I don't want.  Using that isn't really an onerous task but it does get quite heavily used for things I don't even bother to read...

Now Mike. We have gone through all this before.

Will you stop spouting common sense and reasonable advice?

An internet forum is not the place to be sensible...

• Like 2

It might well be relevant to recall Military Modelling Magazine at this point. The mag has recently closed, taking its forum with it. There is an interesting discussion on a model boat website with more details

Basically, the magazine sales supported the website, but while the later was very active, the mag wasn't selling. The publisher decided to stop throwing money down the drain and both vanished. For good.

And yet, PocketMags (and it's print equivalent) will still sell you an annual subscription. Perhaps someone should let them in on the secret? (Or perhaps it's simply access to the back issues for the period of subscription, I don't know how this digital publication stuff works). Pity, I used to pick up MMM on my occasional sojourns to the UK. Hey ho.

So long as you don't ask the pre-grouping OO groupies - they don't seem to agree on anything.

G

Not sure about that, think they do agree it's anything prior to 1923, and probably all agree, for diesel fumes and flashy paint schemes, a truck (lorry) stop would be more interesting LOL

Regarding the digital mag issue, yes, I do prefer a physical magazine/book, etc.., but being in the US, getting digital issues is much less expensive, and I does not need physical storage.

And, regarding the whole 'privacy' issue, anyone who is that worried about it, should not be online, via computer, smart phone, iPad, etc.. (of course, make sure you shred all your paper mail, with addresses, account numbers, etc.., so the trash bin divers don't find them LOL)

Jim F

• 2 weeks later...