Great Rail Restorations

melmerby

AS a (now) HSQE Manager I was more interested in the COSHH assessment for that roof sealing compound The colour rang alarm bells wit me and I hope it was not loaded with Zinc Chromate like the good old Unial jointing compound. Carcinogenic don't you know ....

Can't find an MSDS for it online, but as far as I know it's a mix of chalk/whiting & linseed oil (i.e. it's putty) - definitely not chromate-based. Old recipes add white lead into the mix.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest watching it properly as they explain about the chassis. It's repeated tomorrow on Channel 47. I think.

Jason

Agreed, it was a work of art, from design, manufacture and construction. Worth a trip to the IOW alone :)

• RMweb Gold

I admire the heightened tension of the "will they won't they" angle of the programme, when at the beginning they show all 4 coaches actually running in a train!

With the cr&p filter switched on I thought it showed the interesting and unglamorous side of railway preservation.

As others have said, we have to live with the false peril aspect which seems to be invading every fly on the wall type programme these days, at least it's not as exaggerated as the ambulance chaser ones.

Mike.

This second restoration was a significantly better presentation I felt. The 'kit underframe' from laminated timber in pre-cut pieces very interesting indeed. Shame about the three hole disc wheels, but I imagine that was an element of 'get to a rolling result'. What would it have had originally, are the built up Mansell wooden centre wheels a likely choice?

This second restoration was a significantly better presentation I felt. The 'kit underframe' from laminated timber in pre-cut pieces very interesting indeed. Shame about the three hole disc wheels, but I imagine that was an element of 'get to a rolling result'. What would it have had originally, are the built up Mansell wooden centre wheels a likely choice?

I believe that the originals had spoked wheels.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am sorry but I am amazed by the negativity shown here and in several of the other posts.

Firstly it is supposed to be entertainment and as such entertaining.  Yes we as "experts" can see the staged issues that arise - indeed are almost bound to arise in such projects.

Secondly we bemoan the future of our hobby and interest in railways in general and when someone comes along and perhaps starts to take some steps to address that all we can collectively do is slag them off because it does not fit OUR view of how the program should be made - which we would probably find very interesting but would probably send a general audience into deep slumber half way through.

If it offends that badly don't watch.  I will however make sure I see the rest of the series - not for the staged tension but for the genuine information to be found.

Well said. Very well said indeed. I've been as guilty as that kind of negativity myself, on occasions, but I feel that risks not seeing the wider picture.

I watched the first episode in segments, purely because I wasn't able to sit down by myself for a full hour (this kind of thing isn't CTMK's cup of tea) and watch it right through. I thought it was fab and some wonderful publicity for the Llangollen Railway, always one of my personal favourites amongst the heritage lines.

Then, yesterday, I read an article on the programme in Steam Railway, penned by Steve Davies, formerly of the NRM, who's heritage consultancy company had a major hand in liaising with the TV production company ('Brown Bob') and Channel 4 in putting the show together.

Before anyone wishes to slag the supposedly 'contrived/artificial' jeopardy off much more, I would advise having a read of that article, which is very informative in terms of the background and the overall benefits to the heritage railway movement of having these four carriages returned to operational service much earlier than would otherwise have been the case, together with the overall positive image presented to the general public. One thing I noted from the article was the fact that Channel 4 must have put their hands fairly deep into their pockets to provide sufficient financial incentive to the four organisations/owners, in order to make this happen.

Unless Mr Davies is deliberately 'hamming it up' for the readers of Steam Railway as well, I think the mention of 'sleepless nights' and concerns about whether some of the projects would really get finished within the time scales put the allegations of 'artificial jeopardy' in a bit of context. Apparently there are new rules in the world of TV covering this kind of thing.

• Like 5

I have to say I thought there was a lot less jeopardy in the IWSR episode than in the Llangollen episode - which might well indicate that the "fake jeopardy" in the Llangollen episode wasn't as "fake" as some people have suggested.

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I thought there was a lot less jeopardy in the IWSR episode than in the Llangollen episode - which might well indicate that the "fake jeopardy" in the Llangollen episode wasn't as "fake" as some people have suggested.

Indeed. In the Steam Railway article, Steve Davies describes the Gresley project as one of the things that gave him the most concern during the six months.

• Like 2

I thought the IoWR carriage restoration was a splendid programme. I thought the use of engineered wood in the chassis to allow a wooden chassis solution whilst improving strength was a very clever way around the needs of modern rolling stock. Amazed it didn't have brakes - I assume it's through piped to allow it to be used in normal trains or is that going to prevent it's use in regular service?

A lovely little coach closer to the early railway in technology than the later Victorian four-wheelers in use on the line.

I thought the IoWR carriage restoration was a splendid programme. I thought the use of engineered wood in the chassis to allow a wooden chassis solution whilst improving strength was a very clever way around the needs of modern rolling stock. Amazed it didn't have brakes - I assume it's through piped to allow it to be used in normal trains or is that going to prevent it's use in regular service?

Brakes are in the process of being fitted now, some things didn't get done within the TV deadline.

Jon

• Like 1

Brakes  was  a  "to  do  later".  The  first  30  years  of  its  existence  it  had  none.

The  Isle  of  Wight  uses  Air  Brake,  all  the  other  vehicles  it  was  to  run  with  were  vacuum  hence  no  point  trying  to  get  it  braked  by  the  deadline.  Through  piped  for the  TV  running  and  marshaled  between  braked  vehicles.

The  carriage  was  turned  out  in  its  early  condition,  ie:  no  brakes,  bare  board  seating  in  the  Seconds  and  lower  running  boards.  Now  having  brakes  fitted,  the  Seconds  now  have  thinly  padded  leather  seats  and  the  lower  running  board  is  gone,  this  was  its   condition  in  the  1890's  and  brings  it  into  a  condition  where  public  passengers  can  be  carried.

Also  looking  to  the  future  there  will  be  later  Oldbury  vehicles  restored  some  with  3rd  class  compartments,  these  had  bare  board  seats  and  when  originally  introduced  the  earlier  Seconds  were  upgraded  accordingly  as  has  now  been  done.  Eventually  1st,  2cnd  and  3rd  will  be  available  to  the  relevant  standard.

Pete

• Like 3

Brakes  was  a  "to  do  later".  The  first  30  years  of  its  existence  it  had  none.

The  Isle  of  Wight  uses  Air  Brake,  all  the  other  vehicles  it  was  to  run  with  were  vacuum  hence  no  point  trying  to  get  it  braked  by  the  deadline.  Through  piped  for the  TV  running  and  marshaled  between  braked  vehicles.

The  carriage  was  turned  out  in  its  early  condition,  ie:  no  brakes,  bare  board  seating  in  the  Seconds  and  lower  running  boards.  Now  having  brakes  fitted,  the  Seconds  now  have  thinly  padded  leather  seats  and  the  lower  running  board  is  gone,  this  was  its   condition  in  the  1890's  and  brings  it  into  a  condition  where  public  passengers  can  be  carried.

Also  looking  to  the  future  there  will  be  later  Oldbury  vehicles  restored  some  with  3rd  class  compartments,  these  had  bare  board  seats  and  when  originally  introduced  the  earlier  Seconds  were  upgraded  accordingly  as  has  now  been  done.  Eventually  1st,  2cnd  and  3rd  will  be  available  to  the  relevant  standard.

Pete

A good excuse (as if one is needed) to revisit the IoWR. Having so much interesting rolling stock really sets it apart from other steam railways.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But it was the dawn of the railways on the IoW. It is a very special place. The occupants may not yet have realised that Brexit has occurred...

Or Queen Victoria has died :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

But the C4 advertising puff that an 1864 vehicle is from the dawn of the railways

The first railway on the IOW was in 1862. (Cowes to Newport) Ryde to Shanklin followed in 1864. so the coach was from the Dawn of (IOW) railways

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Guest spet0114

Liked the restoration of Eagle last night. 

Is this coach still part of the national collection, or have the NRM quietly passed it over to Tyseley? 

The reason I ask is that the one thing that mildly perturbed me was the 'skipping' of the original fridge. I fully understand that it needed replacing if the coach was to be used for catering again, but it rather goes against previous NRM policy of keeping the bits they remove (e.g. Duchess of Hamilton's original and out-of-gauge cab) so that the item can be returned to the condition in which the NRM received it when it's mainline days are over.

That matter aside - nice to see the rolling stock (and the folk who maintain it) getting some of the limelight!

Cheers
Adrian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There's an article about the series in the current Steam Railway. Loads of information on the why and wherefore.

Indeed, I read that article last week and felt it was very helpful in understanding the context of the restoration projects.

• RMweb Gold

I have enjoyed the series so far, but I did rather feel like they could have found a much more deserving coach than yet another mk1 Pullman for a rail tour provider (unless of course they were paying for the bulk of it which in turn helped with the funding of the other 3 coaches.  

It is a shame the Dreadnaught wasnt one of the four coaches chosen, would have loved to see that fully restored!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I did rather feel like they could have found a much more deserving coach than yet another mk1 Pullman for a rail tour provider (unless of course they were paying for the bulk of it which in turn helped with the funding of the other 3 coaches.  

Well, Channel 4 did pay a significant sum towards the restoration as I understand it, which rather is the point of the whole thing!

I've just watched the restoration of the Metro-Cammell Pullman programme and thought it was fab.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I guess the issue of which coaches to restore would have been down to a number of factors:

Cost - can it be done to an available budget

Other resources - are the skills and raw materials available

Timescale - can it be done in the 6 months allotted. 

Plus there is perhaps a theme of trying to cover a time period from the dawn of railways (their description not mine) to relatively modern but still in preservation in the selection.

• Like 1