• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rembrow

rembrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:46

Just received a special e-mail from Kernow, advising a newly tooled commission in partnership with Revolution, for 'oo'gauge - IZA Cargowagon Twin Van sets. These are 4 wheel vans permanently coupled in pairs.

The pre order price is £89.99 for a pair and there are 4 versions of the original build from 1986 and 4 versions in the revised livery from 1998. Each 4 options can be bought in a multi pack for £339.99. There are a further 2 versions, one per livery, with tail lamps.

Edited by rembrow, 02 June 2018 - 23:50 .

• Informative/Useful x 3
  • Thanks x 1

#2 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,511 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in darkest Cornwall

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:51

Full information here. http://www.kernowmod...IZA-Cargowaggon

Edited by Kris, 02 June 2018 - 09:51 .

• Informative/Useful x 1

#3 MRDBLUE17

MRDBLUE17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 14:50

Excellent news from Kernow, this will be a superb wagon given the quality of work from Ben and Mike and I’ve certainly nagged them to do it in OO. The 4 pack offers good value so will be getting one ordered when funds allow.

Cheers
Mark

#4 Fat Controller

Fat Controller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,720 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 15:02

Whilst these are normally thought of as working in block trains, Hexham, in the1980s, used to see a couple of pairs working from Austria with chipboard for Egger. They'd be mixed in with resin tanks and OTAs.

• Informative/Useful x 3

#5 BR(S)

BR(S)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 15:08

This is great news. These wagons have always appeared on my wishlist.
  • Agree x 1

#6 sub39h

sub39h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 16:49

Waited for a set of these for a long time but sadly at that price I will probably have to pass.
  • Agree x 2

#7 LBRJ

LBRJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 18:07

Oh baby!

For once I can join in the I want one* froth fest for a new product   :)

Bagged China Clay in the C21st is ideal traffic!

They may not be actually giving them, away but its a fair price for what I assume will be a top quality product, and we do have something like 70 weeks notice to save a few pence up 

*or more

• Agree x 3

#8 Thebigshot

Thebigshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 21:36

Hi Guy

That's great news will be buying a pack once I've saved some cash

Thanks
Alan.

#9 Covkid

Covkid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 02 June 2018 - 23:17

Whilst these are normally thought of as working in block trains, Hexham, in the1980s, used to see a couple of pairs working from Austria with chipboard for Egger. They'd be mixed in with resin tanks and OTAs.

Was this the same traffic as Pensnett ? ISTR chipboard going down to Pensnett a few decades ago !!!

#10 teacupteacup

teacupteacup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:12

Great news, more modern wagons are needed.  Single van version next?  A few differences but certainly do-able.

I'll still be building my kit buy may order a couple from Kernow.

#11 Fat Controller

Fat Controller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,720 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:44

Was this the same traffic as Pensnett ? ISTR chipboard going down to Pensnett a few decades ago !!!

I don't think so; I believe it was inter-works traffic in semi-finished board, brought to Hexham to be finished. I think the Pensnett traffic was finished board.

• Like x 1

#12 BMacdermott

BMacdermott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 14:03

Hello everyone

Firstly, congratulations to Kernow on this announcement!

In the results of The Wishlist Poll 2016 (the most recent results), the IZA Cargowaggon was the second most-wanted 'post steam era' freight vehicle (behind the 1976/1981 KFA MoD Warflat). It was was Middle Polling.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

#13 dogbox321

dogbox321

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:56

Waited for a set of these for a long time but sadly at that price I will probably have to pass.

Yes, its a shame they are so pricey - think KMRC are looking at as they are two wagons, so selling them at the price of 2 wagons.  Plus with selling Turbots at £29.99 with less detail, probably think they can get away with charging more for a premium product.  Whilst "OO" is always a little more expensive than "N" Gauge, Revolutions "N" Gauge are very reasonably priced, and you can compare the difference in price between the N Gauge TEA and the OO Gauge one.

I too would have had a few, but like you say, not at that price - plus I am lucky enough to have a fleet of Roco ones, so will manage with just those.   They are HO, but because they are to a large loading gauge, pass for "OO", but just don't have the anchor logo on the side.

Regards,

C. 

• Agree x 1

#14 YesTor

YesTor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 16:39

Yes, its a shame they are so pricey - think KMRC are looking at as they are two wagons, so selling them at the price of 2 wagons. 

To be fair, as far as manufacturing goes they are effectively two separate wagons.

Edited by YesTor, 11 July 2018 - 16:40 .

• Agree x 1

#15 dogbox321

dogbox321

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 20:11

To be fair, as far as manufacturing goes they are effectively two separate wagons.

....well to be fair, if you look at past models you can make your own mind up, about my philosophy.....

Looking at past and present sources:

N gauge TEA £26.00, OO gauge TEA £37.00  

N gauge IZA £36.00, OO gauge £99.99, or £89.99 if you pay now.

Don't think I need to say any more!

#16 PaulCheffus

PaulCheffus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:54

....well to be fair, if you look at past models you can make your own mind up, about my philosophy.....

Don't think I need to say any more!

Hi

Difference is that the TEA and N Gauge IZA have both been sold direct by RT so no dealer overheads.

OO IZA sold by Kernow who will need to make a profit.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree x 2

#17 Ben A

Ben A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

Posted 13 July 2018 - 15:23

Hi there,

You are quoting crowdfunding prices, which are only available to those who step up with early orders to get the model tooled and into production.  These prices are, as Paul said, in effect a trade price.

Latecomers have paid more with all Revolution projects, as yes, retailers stock them but they add (reasonably enough) their margin.  In the case of the models you quoted, the 00 TEA tanker, which is still in production in China, seems to be retailing at about £45.

So the Cargowaggon twins are comparable.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A, 13 July 2018 - 15:24 .

• Agree x 2

#18 sub39h

sub39h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 16:15

Yes, its a shame they are so pricey - think KMRC are looking at as they are two wagons, so selling them at the price of 2 wagons. Plus with selling Turbots at £29.99 with less detail, probably think they can get away with charging more for a premium product. Whilst "OO" is always a little more expensive than "N" Gauge, Revolutions "N" Gauge are very reasonably priced, and you can compare the difference in price between the N Gauge TEA and the OO Gauge one.

I too would have had a few, but like you say, not at that price - plus I am lucky enough to have a fleet of Roco ones, so will manage with just those. They are HO, but because they are to a large loading gauge, pass for "OO", but just don't have the anchor logo on the side.

Regards,

C.

It is two wagons. But £45 each for a slab sided wagon with hardly any need for detail? I don’t mean anyone any ill intention - I hope they fly off the shelves and Kernow make a whacking profit because the hobby needs that. But I absolutely cannot justify that sort of price. Others can and will and I hope there are enough of them.
  • Agree x 2

#19 Roy Langridge

Roy Langridge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,431 posts
  • LocationCornwall and Hampshire

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:41

It is two wagons. But £45 each for a slab sided wagon with hardly any need for detail? I don’t mean anyone any ill intention - I hope they fly off the shelves and Kernow make a whacking profit because the hobby needs that. But I absolutely cannot justify that sort of price. Others can and will and I hope there are enough of them.

I suggest you have a look at the prototype. They are hardly slab sided and lacking in detail.

Roy
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#20 YesTor

YesTor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:55

But £45 each for a slab sided wagon with hardly any need for detail?

If there really is that little to them then why not simply make your own?  An oblong-shaped box, a couple of axles?  Cheap as chips.  Job done?  ;)

Edited by YesTor, 18 July 2018 - 11:55 .

• Like x 3