79 replies to this topic

#76 teacupteacup

teacupteacup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2018 - 23:16

I stopped buying magazines years ago, I used to always buy RM, then Model Rail when it became a separate publication, then Hornby when it came out.  Ive never really liked BRM.  After a few issues of Hornby I stopped buying any mags regularly as I found them to be regurgitating the same articles, with less and less interesting articles, and the standard of photography got worse with each issue, with only a few exceptions. 

Apart from RM.  Its always been a consistently well presented, interesting and informative publication and long may it continue

• Agree x 6

#77 coachmann

coachmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:36

Chatting with Roy Dock in the GEM factory, he once described RM as the Amateur Photographer of the model railway world because it carried all the advertising. I used to buy the Xmas edition every year even in the wilderness years when I did no modelling for myself.

Edited by coachmann, 13 July 2018 - 07:00 .

#78 Oldddudders

Oldddudders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationLe Mans, France

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:53

Chatting with Roy Dock in the GEM factory, he described RM as the Amateur Photographer of the model railway world because it carried all the advertising. I used to buy the Xmas edition every year even in the wilderness years when I did no modelling for myself.

A very fair comparison then. But while RM continues to thrive in a more competitive environment, AP is a mere shadow of the thick, prosperous weekly of 40 years ago.

#79 coachmann

coachmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 15:14

A very fair comparison then. But while RM continues to thrive in a more competitive environment, AP is a mere shadow of the thick, prosperous weekly of 40 years ago.

This doesn't surprise me today.  I haven't bought an AP since going digital around the turn of the present Century and I think I have only popped into our local camera shop twice since that time.

#80 andyman7

andyman7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 21:42

... But, if they're smoking a pipe, how can they possibly be described as "average enthusiasts"?

OK, in a concession to modern times I will accept vaping