conversion of a Dapol class 68 into a class 88 ? starting with body

Hi all this may be beyond my skills but i would like to try and make a passable class 88 .

ive started with a 68 body shell stripped it and cut away large parts of the roof .

I have also started to remove the side detail by sanding as the 88 dont have lots of detail at the pantograph end .

Here is a few photos to start with 

post-28330-0-67821700-1535821120_thumb.jpg

post-28330-0-96156300-1535821158_thumb.jpg

next job for me is to fill the hole left by the grills .

any help or sergestion are welcome and i am very much a novices. thanks 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

If you need another bodyshell to cut grilles from give me a shout, I’ve got a dozen of em here!

I was looking at doing the same, still might, there are certain grilles on a 2nd body you could graft onto your body shell, one on the 88 in particular looks to be similar to one of the 68 grilles and hatch but mounted the opposite way up

If you need another bodyshell to cut grilles from give me a shout, I’ve got a dozen of em here!

I was looking at doing the same, still might, there are certain grilles on a 2nd body you could graft onto your body shell, one on the 88 in particular looks to be similar to one of the 68 grilles and hatch but mounted the opposite way up

Thanks jim your opinion will be more than enough  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Hi thanks for looking  i used a bit of clear plastic behind the opening and then filled the gap with milliput let it set and then sanded its still not right but will keep going until its smooth and im happy .

For a area that large I would have filled it with rectangle of plasticard as filler tends to flex.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks mate i have a very limited skill set and me trying to cut the right shaped was a no go . im still refining the look but each go it looks a little better but again thanks for having a look mate .

Hello mate,

Please forgive my forwardness in addressing you like this but I don't know your name, sorry!

I think you are very brave to tackle such a job but very well done indeed for having a go. One of the most important things is to make a start, that's usually the hardest thing.

Anyway, if I may, a suggestion?

If you want to cut out some plasticard and are worried about it, make a template of paper first, get that close to the right shape then copy that onto the plasticard and use a heavy duty pair of scissors or similar, cut out a larger square or rectangle, then cut closer and closer to the template until all you need is just a little sanding and voila, you're done!

I admit, practice does make perfect but we all start somewhere.

I'm too late for this job so just keep sanding, it will come right but I hope this helps for the future.

All the best,

John

Hello mate,

Please forgive my forwardness in addressing you like this but I don't know your name, sorry!

I think you are very brave to tackle such a job but very well done indeed for having a go. One of the most important things is to make a start, that's usually the hardest thing.

Anyway, if I may, a suggestion?

If you want to cut out some plasticard and are worried about it, make a template of paper first, get that close to the right shape then copy that onto the plasticard and use a heavy duty pair of scissors or similar, cut out a larger square or rectangle, then cut closer and closer to the template until all you need is just a little sanding and voila, you're done!

I admit, practice does make perfect but we all start somewhere.

I'm too late for this job so just keep sanding, it will come right but I hope this helps for the future.

All the best,

John

Thanks for the advice, my name is Andrew and its good to know other people are interested  . I have never tried anything like this so it a massive learning curve knowing the basic loco is the same shape my thinking is starting by making the pantograph end smooth then start with the grills on the other end then tackle the roof detail.. i will keep posting photos as i go . and again thank for looking in john .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The 88 is on my (and others!) to do list.

Good to see someone having a go.

A large filler of plastic card, as level as you can get is the way forward. At least 40 thou thick. And then reinforced with another layer from behindafterwards for such a big panel. Even to the point of using two-part epoxy around the inner edges.

The fillet of plastic card doesn't need to be an exact fit. Cut it larger than you need and gradually skim the edges down until it fits reasonably tightly. Apply solvent around the edges and whilst the edges are soft, "massage" it into place. It;s surprising how level you will get it using your finger to feel the alignmnent between the fillet and body.

And let cure for a day or two between each operation.

That way, there is the minimum amount of filler to use and sand down.

Filler is the most obvious point that will show up any flexing or cracking, hence minimising it's use.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Hello Andrew,

You're welcome buddy, happy to help any way I can with such an interesting project.

Have you thoughts on what pantograph you might use?

I know my namesake, Mike Edge (Judith Edge models) does a fine etched metal 4mm scale model but I think that might be a bit much for me to tackle so I would probably go for a Continental equivalent from someone like Sommerfeldt, Roco or even Piko and ignore the scale difference.

Anyway, will continue to observe with interest.

Cheers,

John (Edge)

Hello Andrew,

You're welcome buddy, happy to help any way I can with such an interesting project.

Have you thoughts on what pantograph you might use?

I know my namesake, Mike Edge (Judith Edge models) does a fine etched metal 4mm scale model but I think that might be a bit much for me to tackle so I would probably go for a Continental equivalent from someone like Sommerfeldt, Roco or even Piko and ignore the scale difference.

Anyway, will continue to observe with interest.

Cheers,

John (Edge)

Yeah i thought sommerfeldt  or(Judith Edge models for the pantograph and found some insulators from http://www.gaugemast...=Viessmann 4187 im going to be able to reuse most of the grills ive even found some photos of the on test in light blue livery 

• Like 1

Looking good!

If it helps, I managed to get some detail shots of one side of 88001 a couple of months back:

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Allinthedetails/Locos/88001-Revolution-Direct-Rail-Services/

you are an absolute star there perfect .

im trying to find some fans to go over the diesel engine looking on shapeways at moment !!!!

Good luck with the project. This photo isn't the best,but gives a decent idea of the pantograph. There aren't many photos out there of the top of an 88 and this was taken from the top of a castle on a hill about 500m from the line.

post-27529-0-10509900-1536356484_thumb.jpg

Also note, there is a difference in the horn grilles either side of the main roof light. The 88 has multi aspect 'fins' and the 68 just has a mech over the horns.

Visible here:

68: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/class-diesel-electric-train-carnforth-station-class-diesel-electric-train-number-direct-rail-services-livery-front-111254005.jpg

88: https://www.railwaygazette.com/uploads/pics/tn_gb-drs-class88.jpg

• Like 1

Good luck with the project. This photo isn't the best,but gives a decent idea of the pantograph. There aren't many photos out there of the top of an 88 and this was taken from the top of a castle on a hill about 500m from the line.

attachicon.gifIMG_0795.JPG

Also note, there is a difference in the horn grilles either side of the main roof light. The 88 has multi aspect 'fins' and the 68 just has a mech over the horns.

Visible here:

68: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/class-diesel-electric-train-carnforth-station-class-diesel-electric-train-number-direct-rail-services-livery-front-111254005.jpg

88: https://www.railwaygazette.com/uploads/pics/tn_gb-drs-class88.jpg

Thanks for the photo mate been looking for one like that had noticed the small difference on the cab top . please people keep these great photos coming