Peterborough North

great northern

I'd love to see some videos of trains running! Either stopping at the station or running through or shunting about. Also their insertion and extraction from the fiddle yard.

I've started going through this thread as I'm new here, but only managed to get 86 pages through so far haha :) Will keep going over the next few days.

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to see some videos of trains running! Either stopping at the station or running through or shunting about. Also their insertion and extraction from the fiddle yard.

I've started going through this thread as I'm new here, but only managed to get 86 pages through so far haha :) Will keep going over the next few days.

Welcome to PN. I struggle with video, sad to say, and I suspect something better than my lovely little camera might be needed, so that may be delayed for some time. It already has been, actually.

Welcome to PN. I struggle with video, sad to say, and I suspect something better than my lovely little camera might be needed, so that may be delayed for some time. It already has been, actually.

Get someone who can film to visit. I visited a friend's layout and did some filming for him around a month ago. This was just a couple of light engine movements although I think that full operation on your layout would be great on video. Just got to make sure that the lighting's right and that there's no background noises. See the link below:

http://gunnedahandbeyond.blogspot.com.au

I know this isn't British Outline but I just thought I'd provide an example.

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• RMweb Premium

This morning we have two views of Quicksilver at rest.

post-98-0-54756500-1513332749_thumb.jpg

It can't always be sunny at PN, because it wasn't, but I keep finding that if I try a cloudy sky, it is overwhelming, unless I brighten it up, in which case it doesn't look cloudy any more. I had a mess around with this one, and I'd like your comments please.I'm not entirely convinced by it.

post-98-0-96299800-1513332951_thumb.jpg

Then there is this effort, which I rather like, though it would have been better if the BSO had been flush glazed. This must be about the worst angle to show Kirk kits up.

• Like 16

This morning we have two views of Quicksilver at rest.

attachicon.gif15 2.JPG

It can't always be sunny at PN, because it wasn't, but I keep finding that if I try a cloudy sky, it is overwhelming, unless I brighten it up, in which case it doesn't look cloudy any more. I had a mess around with this one, and I'd like your comments please.I'm not entirely convinced by it.

attachicon.gif15 3.JPG

Then there is this effort, which I rather like, though it would have been better if the BSO had been flush glazed. This must be about the worst angle to show Kirk kits up.

I think the nature of light is a problem. People often talk about the difficulty of scaling the effect of colour and shine, but the thing that struck me most about those two photos was the relative "flatness" of the colour on both the coach and the loco. I think I perceive the sky as more of a "backdrop" and don't pay it much attention.

I saw a rather interestingly weathered Hornby Q1 at Warley - I think it was this one, by TMC. Looking at the enlarged photos the contrast between smoke box and boiler is rather nice, but it's the boiler itself which, in the flesh, has an oily sheen to it which feels much more realistic to me than the generally flatter and muter colours that most of us use.

What I find staggering about PN is how often now it stimulates me to think about these incredibly fine issues - which is a tribute to the huge success you have already achieved in creating a model of such realism.

Paul

Then we only have to wait a few minutes after its departure for the next Up arrival, Quicksilver on the Northumbrian. I haven't a clue how that lamp managed to get into that position.

post-98-0-90329500-1513289111_thumb.jpg

Bird strike desending Stoke Bank?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some low, fast flying Mallard I believe.

Not ours though, he was all in one piece when I saw him on Wednesday, and this photo was taken before then. Can't have his feathers ruffled, or worse, as he has a platform to build into which to insert his new signal box.

Hi Gilbert,

Evocative photos.   

You mention/have a photo of a Kirk Gresley.  It does highlight the thickness of the moulding.  You also mention that you have flush glazed some.

What have you used and how have you done it?  I know South Eastern Finecast do some, but are these not for the old Hornby Gresley's.  Do they fit Kirk's?

I will be interested in what you have done.  Can you show some photos?  

I have 4 Kirk's in production on my work bench and was planning to flush glaze at some point.  None are available Ready to run.  Body work done, Internals complete.

I have another 16 or so.  These were bought off a deceased estate for 10 Aussie dollars each, that's about 5.5pound.  It includes a Rest Triplet set.  I already have a Comet set. Also 2 Non-corridor kits.

I have another 2 questions.  The Kirk instructions say to put the Battery boxes on one side only on the under carriage/floor.

Yet Hornby and Steve Banks and others have them on both sides.  Does this apply to all the Gresley's.

I have Michael Harris', Nick Campling's books and other general LNER books and this is hard to see the precise details.

Can you post some photos of the under carriages as well?

I will leave it as one side only for now as if it is 2 then I can add some later.  

I will continue to search the books, internet and forums, including Mr T Wrights listing.

Do you know where can you get Carriage prints, etc for OO gauge coaches (Gresley's). 

Thanks for your and others help too.

Mark in OZ

Battery boxes were on both sides of all Gresley carriages except BGs. I believe - and perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm or correct - that this was because one pair was used while the other was charged, until the advent of the regulator box allowed one pair to suffice where two had been needed before.

For carriage prints, I took photos of some in preserved carriages and then printed them onto glossy paper.

• RMweb Premium

For carriage prints, I took photos of some in preserved carriages and then printed them onto glossy paper.

Not so easy when you're in Bendigo!

Tiny Signs do some generic ones:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=TSOO59&style=&strType=&Mcode=Tiny+Signs+OO59

(other retailers are available).

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  That is very helpful.

Yes it is a bit difficult from Bendigo OZ.

In 2011 I did see and walk through the Gresley Coaches at the Severn valley Railway, but did not think to take photos of the carriage prints.

Mostly long views inside.

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

Evocative photos.   

You mention/have a photo of a Kirk Gresley.  It does highlight the thickness of the moulding.  You also mention that you have flush glazed some.

What have you used and how have you done it?  I know South Eastern Finecast do some, but are these not for the old Hornby Gresley's.  Do they fit Kirk's?

I will be interested in what you have done.  Can you show some photos?  

I have 4 Kirk's in production on my work bench and was planning to flush glaze at some point.  None are available Ready to run.  Body work done, Internals complete.

I have another 16 or so.  These were bought off a deceased estate for 10 Aussie dollars each, that's about 5.5pound.  It includes a Rest Triplet set.  I already have a Comet set. Also 2 Non-corridor kits.

I have another 2 questions.  The Kirk instructions say to put the Battery boxes on one side only on the under carriage/floor.

Yet Hornby and Steve Banks and others have them on both sides.  Does this apply to all the Gresley's.

I have Michael Harris', Nick Campling's books and other general LNER books and this is hard to see the precise details.

Can you post some photos of the under carriages as well?

I will leave it as one side only for now as if it is 2 then I can add some later.  

I will continue to search the books, internet and forums, including Mr T Wrights listing.

Do you know where can you get Carriage prints, etc for OO gauge coaches (Gresley's). 

Thanks for your and others help too.

Mark in OZ

Hi Mark,

I didn't put this as well as I might have done. What I meant was that I have loads of coaches which are flush glazed, so needn't have chosen one of the few which aren't. I don't have many Kirks now, and none of them have been flush glazed, but it is my experience that if they are kept in rakes together they can look just as acceptable as 'orrible Hornby things.

It is very dull here at present, so I'm going to struggle to take photos today, but I'll see what can be done when and if we get some light. It is in short supply at this time of year.

• RMweb Premium

A close up of an A1 this morning.

post-98-0-39909500-1513506690_thumb.jpg

It wasn't intended to be a close up, but I found some very difficult background bits, and ended up just cropping them out.  The West Riding was closely followed by the Scotch goods, yet again allowed on the Down main.

post-98-0-16560700-1513506861_thumb.jpg

Two confessions follow. The first is that I inadvertently took these with the camera set to white fluorescent. The awfully clever Digital Photo Professional allowed me to escape from that though. The second is that most photos show the Scotch goods on the Down slow, often held at signals while an express passes. As my Scotch goods is formed from cassettes, it has to be done on track one of the fiddle yard. You can guess which is the only road through the station that can't be accessed from there. All alternative solutions are presently filed under "too difficult".

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

A bit more about the artificial light thing. I did try yet again to see if I could get presentable images under the lights, using Quicksilver as my subject. It was after doing that I forgot to reset white balance. Below is the result of a lot of fiddling and experimentation.

post-98-0-02365200-1513507503_thumb.jpg

I still don't like it. It doesn't look natural, which is not surprising, as it isn't.

• Like 10