Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Happy Christmas Gilbert..............................and I hope Nora Batty gets a thicker pair of stockings in her stocking!  She is looking colder these days with those easterly winds across the Fens!

Grahame

And to you Grahame. Nora will be OK, as she's made from sterner stuff. PN is tropical compared with the hills of Yorkshire.

I had a cunning plan. I'll get down to the village before 0900, as it will be nice and quiet before the rush, I thought. Nowhere to park, queues round the block, chaos. I'd have fled at once, but I needed repeat prescriptions. I've got those now, but I think I need tranquilisers as well.

A photo of a diesel multiple unit, which has come from Skegness.

attachicon.gifDMU.JPG

The driver still can't be bothered with that destination blind thingy. He says his passengers know where they are going. Meanwhile from the opposite direction comes a Spital Bridge B1, which is on a tea time service to Leicester.

attachicon.gif1204 1.JPG

Your DMU is crying out for buffer beam detailing, it is quite a surprise to see something running on PN with a tension lock sticking out.

Thanks for posting such inspirational stuff all year, I look forward to my daily fix.

Martyn

• Like 1

.......I'd have fled at once, but I needed repeat prescriptions. I've got those now, but I think I need tranquilisers as well.

Do what I did some years ago.

Contact the surgery and ask about ordering repeat scrips online, then ask a local pharmacy to deliver. More time for golf or modelling.

Happy Christmas

• RMweb Premium

Your DMU is crying out for buffer beam detailing, it is quite a surprise to see something running on PN with a tension lock sticking out.

Thanks for posting such inspirational stuff all year, I look forward to my daily fix.

Martyn

Thank you for that, Martyn. This is one of my worst failings, I think, not finishing things off. The detailing bits are still in the box, which is up in the loft, I reckon, so I need to get up there and find it. As to the tension lock, I left it so that occasionally I can attach a van to the rear, as sometimes happened, but again, if I wasn't so idle, I could soon devise something a lot less conspicuous. Lame excuses, I know.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello, Gilbert. Wishing you the merriest of Christmases, and I hope you will have a most relaxing time. The photo's of Peterborough North continue to inspire as much as ever, and I hope you will be able to continue posting them for as long as possible.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure why but those two shots are particularly good, perhaps it is the composition and the fact they are in black and white.

Martyn

I haven't yet worked out either why some attempts work, while others don't, or why some look so much better in black and white. Increasingly I find myself looking at a b/w version of just about everything now though.

• Like 1

I like mucking about with the different filters on my iPad. Whenever I find good photos I will usually duplicate them and experiment with the filters and I may click the 'Enhance' tool sometimes. I don't know why but I quite like the 'Process' filter. I guess it resembles other photos taken on very old cameras, as do all of the B/W filters...

post-32712-0-15506200-1514066573.jpeg

Like this one. (I hope no one minds I use this photo!) I actually quite like this, so much so that it's my home screen for my iPad right now.

• Like 9

Happy Christmas to you and please keep the fine selection of photo's, colour or otherwise, coming through 2018 and beyond.

Ken Dobettar, our local photographer, took an excursion up to Peterborough and whilst waiting on the platform caught sight of the Christmas Day special arriving to get ready for it's big day tomorrow.

He thought it looked a bit odd but then noticed no number on the boiler front, though the loco did seem happy to see him!!!

post-8925-0-48042400-1514103682_thumb.jpg

He then moved out into the yard to catch his favorite loco but then the weather turned nasty and cold, so a quick snap with a fogging up camera and he was back inside the warm waiting room ready for a nice hot cup of cocoa...

post-8925-0-03796100-1514103850_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Help :O I have been ambushed by a "what if?" Idly looking at photos a while back I suddenly found myself wondering what would happen if the Midland lines were to become blocked for any length of time.The diversion would have to be through the station, unless one went a very long way round, and that would mean that the trains and locos I can't have now might become available. What a can of worms that would open. Not that I'm suggesting that Midland locos are like worms, of course.

Looking at it in practical terms though, there were few paths available through PN most of the time, so extra trains would cause chaos. Would the goods traffic just have been cancelled or delayed until things got sorted out? I hope so, because this what if has got itself firmly entrenched now, and it could prove very expensive indeed. What would happen to the summer holiday weekend traffic doesn't bear thinking about. Even the occasional Patriot was seen on the Midland lines. Stop it!! :nono: :no: :scared:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Help :O I have been ambushed by a "what if?" Idly looking at photos a while back I suddenly found myself wondering what would happen if the Midland lines were to become blocked for any length of time.The diversion would have to be through the station, unless one went a very long way round, and that would mean that the trains and locos I can't have now might become available. What a can of worms that would open. Not that I'm suggesting that Midland locos are like worms, of course.

Looking at it in practical terms though, there were few paths available through PN most of the time, so extra trains would cause chaos. Would the goods traffic just have been cancelled or delayed until things got sorted out? I hope so, because this what if has got itself firmly entrenched now, and it could prove very expensive indeed. What would happen to the summer holiday weekend traffic doesn't bear thinking about. Even the occasional Patriot was seen on the Midland lines. Stop it!! :nono: :no: :scared:

Goods like the Scotch would run, the coals would be postponed till night time probably. Oh, this is a fun development for 2018

I think you just want an excuse to run a couple of black 5s through surreptitiously - maybe a 1st April special?

• RMweb Gold

“Under Control Arrangements” can be whatever you wish, really. Some lengthy discussions between the Controls would try to establish a workable train plan. And there might be a railway telegram sent system-wide imposing a “Byrag” for Peterborough, i.e freight services should not proceed towards or via that location without prior agreement of Control. Some thinning of the passenger service might be contemplated, too.

I am impressed at your willingness to consider further purchases to enable this plausible if occasional scenario. As they say, he who dies with the most toys wins!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Actually could some of the Midland stuff have gone another way via the Nene Valley?

Phil

It would be difficult Phil. As far as I can see, trains would have to go South West nearly to Market Harborough. Then they could go up the old GN/LNWR joint as far as Bottesford Junction, and along the GN Grantham-Nottingham line. I seem to recall that line was getting very run down by the late 50s though. The alternative would be to go in to Market Harborough, reverse, then up to Wigston and through Leicester on the Midland main line, which would create problems on its own. The old line from Wansford to Stamford was long ago lifted by then, I think, and even if it was still there, some more interesting movements at Stamford would be necessary.

Having said all that, the normal route from Nottingham would be down the main line to Syston, and then on to the Syston and Peterborough, which was convoluted enough anyway. This is all academic anyway, of course. I think.