Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

As the A4 waits, something very loud approaches.

post-98-0-35684800-1512424994_thumb.jpg

Deltic has its usual afternoon Up Hull duty.

post-98-0-57367400-1512425050_thumb.jpg

then one for the fans of coaching stock. I'm checking through all my rakes now that I have an influx of BSOs to replace BSKs which have had to substitute until now. That caused me to look closely at this one.

post-98-0-64071000-1512425229_thumb.jpg

which isn't a BSK- it's a BSO. :scratchhead: What is it though? It appears to be a Dia 191 car, of which only six were ever produced, if I've read Harris correctly. And what is its provenance?  Kirk by the look of it. Did he do such an esoteric kit? I don't remember it. Nor do I remember how it came into my possession, so I have another mystery to end the day.  It was the four compartments rather than the normal six which threw me by the way.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Oh goodness! Gilbert, I have an unbuilt Kirk Gresley BSO kit! You've just reminded me - I've had it about fifteen years! lol Anyway, I will get it built one day. I've just been busy with so many other things in life.  I can see, from your photo', that it builds into a nice model. But I cannot remember the code number of the kit. I will look it up tomorrow.

Please keep the photo's coming, they are as inspiring as ever. The ballast really does look so good and realistic now.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

As the A4 waits, something very loud approaches.

attachicon.gifA4 and Deltic.JPG

Deltic has its usual afternoon Up Hull duty.

attachicon.gifDeltic closer.JPG

then one for the fans of coaching stock. I'm checking through all my rakes now that I have an influx of BSOs to replace BSKs which have had to substitute until now. That caused me to look closely at this one.

attachicon.gifBSO other side.jpg

which isn't a BSK- it's a BSO. :scratchhead: What is it though? It appears to be a Dia 191 car, of which only six were ever produced, if I've read Harris correctly. And what is its provenance?  Kirk by the look of it. Did he do such an esoteric kit? I don't remember it. Nor do I remember how it came into my possession, so I have another mystery to end the day.  It was the four compartments rather than the normal six which threw me by the way.

Gilbert,

Whoever built the coach clearly believed it was a Dia 191 Brake Second / Third Open as the number is correct for such a vehicle and as you are probably aware it is still in service on the N.Y.M.R.

I am confused by your wording of 4 compartments.Did you mean 4 Bays per side?

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579

• RMweb Premium

Kirk kit 8852. He also did a TTO to complement the open brake.

It would appear that the range is available @ £15 each if Coopercraft is still extant, which they appear to be. 

http://shop.cooper-craft.co.uk/index.php?cPath=61

Elsewhere, the Ex Kirk Kits range kits are £25.

I have bought an Ex Kirk Maunsell Dining car for £25 as it is a bit of a rarity but Coopercarft @ £15 don't have the Maunsells.....pity.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Whoever built the coach clearly believed it was a Dia 191 Brake Second / Third Open as the number is correct for such a vehicle and as you are probably aware it is still in service on the N.Y.M.R.

I am confused by your wording of 4 compartments.Did you mean 4 Bays per side?

Regards,Derek.

I am almost permanently confused Derek. Of course an open coach does not have compartments. I should have said bays. Yes, it is numbered as a Dia 191, but the diagram in Harris does not quite fit it. I've heard that some of the Kirk Gresleys aren't quite correct, so perhaps this is one of them. It seems a strange choice, when there were so few to Dia 191, Dia 196 being much more numerous. I'm told that one of the Kirk kits was entirely mythical. Can anyone confirm or otherwise, and if so, which one was it? It has always intrigued me.

• RMweb Premium

Although I am reasonably good at sticking to a narrow band of the history of PN, occasionally I have to put my hands up and acknowledge an anachronism. There follows a case in point.

attachicon.gifDeltic and 1643.JPG

..............while Deltic waits for the right away. Right behind the Ely came a York and Hull express, the return leg of that very dirty 50A A2/3.

post-2326-0-18312000-1512552946.jpg

As you can tell I'm ill and bored...apologies, but I need some cheeky fun on a grey day.

ATB Gilbert and keep sniffing the Liquid Poly.

Philthy Duck

attachicon.gifpost-98-0-89629000-1512512032_thumb.jpg

As you can tell I'm ill and bored...apologies, but I need some cheeky fun on a grey day.

Philthy Duck

It must have been an almighty shock tot he good folks of B&W 1959 Britain to have blood and custard coaches with a bright blue box roaring away at the front It certainly stands out from the background

• RMweb Premium

It must have been an almighty shock tot he good folks of B&W 1959 Britain to have blood and custard coaches with a bright blue box roaring away at the front It certainly stands out from the background

Yes. I've often wondered what the 'Average Joe' must have thought of the Silver Jubilee and Coronation in the thirties.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifpost-98-0-89629000-1512512032_thumb.jpg

Philthy Duck

Have you got any Bachmann MK1s Phil? If so, you could spend some time scraping roof ribs off. It's boring and repetitive, but needs very little brain activity. Just the thing when suffering with an 'orrible cold.

• RMweb Premium

Have you got any Bachmann MK1s Phil? If so, you could spend some time scraping roof ribs off. It's boring and repetitive, but needs very little brain activity. Just the thing when suffering with an 'orrible cold.

Bachman Mk1s.....................ummm, probably. CIBA to go and look? Nope! However I do have some Liquid Poly to sniff and a few wagon kits to sort out so thanks for the support, I shall wear it tomorrow.

Ar$£

• RMweb Premium

Another  angle on the big blue thing and the filthy A2 first.

post-98-0-84150600-1512555948_thumb.jpg

It's even more in your face on this one, don't you think? We shall go down the other end, and return to the civilised and quieter norm.

post-98-0-87984200-1512556117_thumb.jpg

There follows a rant. Why is it that people assume that everyone has a ****** mobile phone? I want to confirm a date for installation of a smart meter. Log on, and I get a requirement for a phobile moan number. "Required field" it says. I type in "no mobile", but it won't have that, so I have to go and phone them, which means waiting ages for someone to answer. :ireful:And why do I have to scroll so far down the list of emoticons to find this one? It should be right at the top. :angry:  So should this one.

• Like 7

Another  angle on the big blue thing and the filthy A2 first.

attachicon.gif515 and Deltic 2.JPG

It's even more in your face on this one, don't you think? We shall go down the other end, and return to the civilised and quieter norm.

attachicon.gif515 and 1626.JPG

There follows a rant. Why is it that people assume that everyone has a ****** mobile phone? I want to confirm a date for installation of a smart meter. Log on, and I get a requirement for a phobile moan number. "Required field" it says. I type in "no mobile", but it won't have that, so I have to go and phone them, which means waiting ages for someone to answer. :ireful:And why do I have to scroll so far down the list of emoticons to find this one? It should be right at the top. :angry:  So should this one.

Way of the world Gilbert - it's called progress ( apparently!)