West Pickering, Craig's Canadian project

Craig Watson

• RMweb Premium

Handrails looking good Craig. I have SOO Line Red paint, which should be the correct colour for them. Even if it doesn't match the stantions exactly, a wee weather will blend it in.

I forgot you had mentioned the red paint the other day, I ordered some CP red from model junction yesterday!!

I also picked up another couple of the trainsave decoders today, says they support all types of consisting so will give them a try on a test track later and see if I can cure the problem we had with the Bachmann ones on Friday!

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

We'll be taking plenty, don't worry:-)

My postman delivered a nice package from Microscale yesterday so it's back to the SD40-2W now!

One part for it I can't seem to find are the snowshields protecting the grilles just behind the cab, might need to scratch one from plasticard.

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Back to the SD40-2W, now that my delivery from Microscale has arrived I have made a start on finally finishing the model off, I decided on modelling 5340, http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=509110

A pic of progress so far, still some minor tidying up of paint and various small details to be carried out too, should be ready for varnishing early next week though, it's the first serious job I've done on an HO loco other than renumbering the Kato loco's at the start of the thread and I'm pretty pleased so far, I'm aware there are quire a few inaccuracies such as the footsteps but overall I'm happy with it as a start!

post-291-0-48719600-1315589138.jpg

More to come!

Craig

We'll be taking plenty, don't worry:-)

My postman delivered a nice package from Microscale yesterday so it's back to the SD40-2W now!

One part for it I can't seem to find are the snowshields protecting the grilles just behind the cab, might need to scratch one from plasticard.

Cheers

Craig

http://www.railflyermodel.com/collections/detail-parts-hood/products/gmdd-sd-wide-cab-snow-shields

Probably quicker to scratchbuilt tho

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A couple of days off work has led to more progress this week, the other two Kato AC4400CW's have now had their handrails done as per the first one described earlier in the thread, I've also carried out some minor detailing to a few other locos such as fitting brass sunshields etc.

Will try and get some pics up over the weekend.

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

My Railflyer order from Canada arrived today, a few sets of SD snowshields and various oter bits and bobs so it's back to the SD40-2W now!

Also took a trip through to parcelforce's depot in Edinburgh to pick up my MTH SD70M-2 in CN livery with sound and pay the customs charges on it, I cleared out some bits and bobs on ebay a few weeks ago and treated myself to this from the States, been playing about with it on a test track today!!

Will be getting a bit done tomorrow so will get the camera charged for some pics!

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

With the snowshield kit for the SD40-2W arriving yesterday I set about assembling and fitting them today, assembly was pretty simple using a hold and fold tool and soldering iron, once assembled they were given a coat of primer then black and fitted to the loco, all it needs now is some minor detailling, varnishing and glazing to complete.

post-291-0-20193100-1316985792.jpg

I've also been playing around with the SD70M, All i've done is fitted the supplied snowplough, it also comes with a set of kadee couplings but I want to try the fitted DCC controlled ones first, when the sound is running you can press either F7 (front) or F8 (back) which releases the knuckle!

post-291-0-18255700-1316986074.jpg

Both of these locos will be running on donny4472's "New Westminster" layout http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

at Bonnybridge this coming weekend

http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium
That's a heck of a front porch on the 5340, isn't it..??!!?? :O

Obviously it's not a type I'm familiar with.... :scratchhead:

I love the fact that a British Class 66's roof only matches the short hood on these locos!!

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=182313&nseq=2 :locomotive:

The porch is a bit bigger than a standard SD40, http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=509728

Its now been varnished, just some small finishing jobs and it'll be ready for the weekend.

Cheers

Craig

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Now that I seem to have some spare time available again I have made some more progress with the layout, as mentioned previously it is loosely set to the east of Toronto in the Pickering/Ajax area, due to space the main difference is that the GO tracks are not seperate from the CN main line so the lines are used by GO, VIA and CN freight traffic.

At present the first two boards are in situ allowing work to continue, once space has been cleared another two front boards can be put in place and work moved onto them, the layout will be able to be built as either 16ft or 20ft long, it will only be set up in it's 16ft form at home due to space constraints.

The main work that has taken place recently is some ballasting, the construction of the wheelchair access on the GO platform, a start on the station buildings/fittings and the retail area outside the station.

At present the retail area comprises of a Vollmer McDonalds drive thru and the begining of the shopping mall made up from low relief Summit USA models.

I'd been scratching my head trying to think of a name for the station, on looking at maps of the area I noticed that my Aunt's house in Ajax is in an area called Applecroft, I made up some station signs using the GO logo and think it looks/sounds ok so that is the name I'm going to go with for the layout,

I'm having problems uploading pics at the moment, presumably due to the server issues but will get some added once everything is sorted out.

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Managed to grab some pics of work on the layout so far, the 3rd board is being put up tomorrow to allow work on the station to be progressed further.

The in progress scratchbuilt platform buildings, at Ajax these cover the stairs and escalators to the subway under the CN main line to the booking office, I have another one of these to build, the much cut down Walthers Amtrak station building can be seen as well as the Summit USA mall buildings in the background.

post-291-0-10447300-1325532083_thumb.jpg

The base for the wheelchair access section of the platform.

post-291-0-76185400-1325532208_thumb.jpg

The Summit USA mall buildings.

post-291-0-78118900-1325532545_thumb.jpg

A (rather messy!) overview of the two current boards.

post-291-0-86532200-1325532844_thumb.jpg

The left hand end of the layout, the curves to the fiddle yard will be partly hidden under part of the freeway (401).

post-291-0-08302900-1325533038_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

With yellow edging and handrails, that wheelchair ramp will look the part. When you get to detailing the area, remember to put in the marker posts to indicate where the train is to stop (so the appropriate door of the appropriate coach is always aligned with the ramp).

Those mall buildings look good too.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Adrian,

The handrails for the ramps will be being tackled soon, along with the rest of the details including the signs you mention.

With today being my day off I managed to get on with starting on the 3rd board taking the length I'm working on to 12ft of the planned initial 16ft (the extra 4ft board planned for later will fit between the two existing platform boards to allow 10/11 coach GO trains to run in future).

The remaining platform and main tracks have also now been laid, The rest of the mall buildings also had their windows fitted, I have downloaded interior pictures and appropriate Canadian business signs to localise the mall.

Some pics of today's progress, I placed some stock on the layout for some pics too.

The new board, main tracks, connection to sidings and east end of GO platform with it's first coat of primer.

post-291-0-34618000-1325717029_thumb.jpg

The mall taking shape.

post-291-0-52734600-1325717129_thumb.jpg

A west bound GO sits in the platform while a CN freight passes on the main track.

post-291-0-54916700-1325717282_thumb.jpg

I've also got some road vehicles out to start marking out roads etc, these buses don't operate in the area where the layout is loosely set but it will fit in just nicely!

post-291-0-89917000-1325717950_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

I've also got some road vehicles out to start marking out roads etc, these buses don't operate in the area where the layout is loosely set but it will fit in just nicely!

post-291-0-89917000-1325717950_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

If you assume that the powers-that-be actually got sensible (which isn't likely to happen*) and extended the east end Highway 407 down to meet Highway 401 so it could be a proper ring road (rather than dumping traffic onto rural roads in the middle of nowhere*), then you could make the assumption that the 407 routes (that use the double-deckers) would be extended to connect at your station.

*the intent is to connect it to Highway 7 to Ottawa, despite the fact that most of the traffic that would use it would want to go on/come off the 401...

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

If you assume that the powers-that-be actually got sensible (which isn't likely to happen*) and extended the east end Highway 407 down to meet Highway 401 so it could be a proper ring road (rather than dumping traffic onto rural roads in the middle of nowhere*), then you could make the assumption that the 407 routes (that use the double-deckers) would be extended to connect at your station.

*the intent is to connect it to Highway 7 to Ottawa, despite the fact that most of the traffic that would use it would want to go on/come off the 401...

Adrian

Thanks again Adrian, that will be exactly what I'll tell anyone that asks if the bus should be there!!

Cheers

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've managed to get more work done on the layout, with roads, paving, a start on wiring and more ballasting done.

I've got the week off work next week so have plans to get the next board completed along with the backscene boards and make a start on the fiddle yard.

I also got out more stock tonight to check the hidden curves and all seems ok just now.

A few more pics of progress so far.

The rail served industrial area.

post-291-0-96160900-1326583336_thumb.jpg

No retail area would be complete without a McD's and a Tim Hortons, this is a Volmer kit, the roof hasn't been attached yet as I still have figures to fit inside, I'm planning on putting a Tim Hortons at the other end of the mall site.

post-291-0-33695600-1326583606_thumb.jpg

An overview of work so far with sidewalks and the small parking lot at the front of the mall taking shape.

post-291-0-06654900-1326583834_thumb.jpg

Another overview with some of the stock used for testing clearances etc,

post-291-0-92464200-1326584096_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Craig:

Tim's used to sell their product in a box that was printed to look like one of their stores. I don't think they do that anymore and it was closer to O or G scale. And the box tended to have grease, chocolate and sugar stains (and jellies and .... ) all over the inside.

I like the Chapters store.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments guys,

The GO bus is a Creative Master Northcord model released in 2009, the real ones were built a stones throw away from my house at Alexanders in Falkirk, I saw quite a few out on test driving around this area at the time before they were exported to Canada.

I also saw quite a few over in Toronto last summer, including 3 or 4 lined up at the bus terminal at Niagara Falls.

I've been trying to get my hands on another one but no joy as yet, apart from the Busch GMC Fishbowl there doesn't seem to be many other bus models available.

Cheers

Craig

Archived