Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/35688183453/in/photostream/

6114 stands in Queen Street station with a northbound passenger train - 02/06/1970.

53A Flickr website.

Great photo, but another false alarm. Every time I see a new post, I get my hopes up. Unfortunately, it's more likely to be NASA announcing they have discovered life on Mars!

• RMweb Gold

This topic has lasted almost as long as these engines were in service BR ownership.

D6157, To service 7th December 1960, withdrawn 30th December 1967, 7 years & 23 days.

On that basis, on December 17th 2017, you will be correct.

By December 2018, it will have beaten 1/3 of the fleet.

It's worth mentioning, they were ordered in the 1955 modernisation plan, and delivered in 1958... it only took 3 years to design them, build the jigs etc and start manufacturing...

Edited by adb968008

Got to keep this thread going if, for no other reason, to embarrass Dapol and the ridiculous time it has taken to get these to market. Still believe it was an absolute con merely to stop other manufacturers from stepping in!

• RMweb Gold

Will the class 21 model have operating cab corridory doors - we have proof that they were used!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20953932_1772750209420423_777869782343507030_n.jpg?oh=ff189ae0f1b13cbe423695d654f00974&oe=5A147039

Great picture, it's well known cab doors weren't used very often (and encouraged draughty cabs), but on the unreliable 21/29's running in cold winters Scotland I could image they saw need for much more use than any other class :-) Edited by adb968008

It's worth mentioning, they were ordered in the 1955 modernisation plan, and delivered in 1958... it only took 3 years to design them, build the jigs etc and start manufacturing...

Yes, but they were hardly trouble-free! Far too rushed, Dapol should in my opinion slow down a bit and make it a nice round decade to get these models.

Chris

d

...It's worth mentioning, they were ordered in the 1955 modernisation plan, and delivered in 1958... it only took 3 years to design them, build the jigs etc and start manufacturing...

Yes, but they were hardly trouble-free! Far too rushed...

That was the nature of the sudden change of horse from the customer, with a grand beauty contest open to every domestic manufacturer wishing to suckle at the teat of national treasure. I have been told by an ex-employee of NBL that their established business practise was to get the ordered traction into the customer's hands fast, and then 'sort it'  once in service if it failed to meet the full customer requirement. This may have been manageable with steam given the depth of experience in the business (although there had been some pretty ugly outcomes with the final large export designs) but there was not the engineering resource in the business to manage this for diesel traction; and this also presumed the acceptance by the customer of this approach.

Commercially it must have been very sweaty. How to cost the new development against a slew of other largely unproven competing suppliers, with comparative product  performance all TBD. There were some exceedingly dark mutterings about just how level the pitch was when it came to the Derby type 2 evaluation compared to others in the same group, according to one of my Pa's late colleagues.

...Dapol should in my opinion slow down a bit and make it a nice round decade to get these models...

I'd go for that: if they were offered at the likely price they would have been in 2011.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not that optimistic . How about Model Rail Scotland 2019 ?

Slide show now on Dapol stand Facebook page. Shows that the 21/29 is due q3 2018. Currently in tooling awaiting 1st Ep. So looks like with the information I received from Joel the Eps are close but just too late for Warley.

Looks like Legends prediction might be right!  With the jungle drums hinting at a Hornby J36 for around the same time, 2019 looks like a good year to model Scottish Railways!

• Like 1

Looks like Legends prediction might be right!  With the jungle drums hinting at a Hornby J36 for around the same time, 2019 looks like a good year to model Scottish Railways!

It is always a good year - whatever the year - to model Scottish Railways

post-1767-0-86273400-1511883720_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

D6108 was one of the class 21 locos rebuilt as a class 29. The loco is seen here standing at Inverurie Works in July 1969.  Colour shot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/5315345761/in/album-72157625937337796/

IIRC it was the penultimate conversion and was delivered as a 29 in Blue. However it seems to have been sidelined within 9 months and was withdrawn 2 years before any other class 29. I wonder what happened to it that was so catastrophic? From what I've heard the rebuild 29s were fairly good work horses with acceptable reliability, and the extra 100 horsepower was an advantage over the 25s and 27s.

Some more background about it in the comments below the picture on the Flickr page.

IIRC it was the penultimate conversion and was delivered as a 29 in Blue. However it seems to have been sidelined within 9 months and was withdrawn 2 years before any other class 29. I wonder what happened to it that was so catastrophic? From what I've heard the rebuild 29s were fairly good work horses with acceptable reliability, and the extra 100 horsepower was an advantage over the 25s and 27s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This topic has lasted almost as long as these engines were in service BR ownership.

D6157, To service 7th December 1960, withdrawn 30th December 1967, 7 years & 23 days.

On that basis, on December 17th 2017, you will be correct.

By December 2018, it will have beaten 1/3 of the fleet.

Today is December 17th, and you are now officially correct, the thread equals the life of D6157.

In 3 months 15 days, (April 2nd 2018) it exceeds D6156.

Edited by adb968008