Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

I`ll bet, its not this coming summer, either.

I asked about the 21/29 at the Diesel and Electric Show. The rep I spoke too wasn't sure of the exact details as it wasn't his project, but he did say that they had been delayed while they got some more information about the bogies. They hoped to have some test shots by late summer/Warley

Edited by Meld9003
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi ,

Model information is such a difficult thing folk want it all and want it now but work takes time so there is a lull in newsworthy stuff, then you get a delay and folk moan about delays - it really is a no win position for all the manufacturers as happens in so many postings on here. I think its is called patience.  But at least the wait will be worth it. I really like Fred`s Gauge one version in the smaller hall at Telford.

:whistle:

Robert 

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Obviously no EP samples at Ally Pally, but did anyone get an answer on where these are in the production line. They don't seem to have moved from final cad cam for at least a year. Theres been alot of queue jumping from other projects.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just had this from Hattons re preorder of D6130

Dapol have confirmed that the Recommended Retail price for this item is now £151.94, resulting in an new sales price of £129.15. This has been due to the change in the terms of supply to all retailers by Dapol, and follows similar changes by other companies in the model rail industry, therefore we will unable to provide this item at the original retailing price.

Preorder cancelled, at that price I'll need to have a good look at it first. SLW class 25s will probably be out by then, money will go there instead, and wait to see what the product is like after the class 73 saga.

Neil

• 1 month later...

Good to see Joel at Dapol has confirmed they are still actively working on these and they should have something to show soon. Looks like they've been more problematic than expected. 

Reply posted in their new Dapol digest area.

• 1 month later...

My decision to buy or not will be down to the colour of the BR Blue livery.

Not got much confidence after the Class 22 and Class 73 efforts neither of which to me looked even nearly right.

Surely Dapol can get a decent match to a Hornby or Bachmann rendition of BR Blue to get it to look something like!

• RMweb Gold

The problem with modelling the NBL D61XX Type 2 (later Classes 21/29) seems to be very similar to that with the D6XX 'Warship' in that there is a paucity of information and drawings.  In Kernow's case they got round this by having a large scale model made working off what known dimensions exist plus photos and from that - once it was considered 'correct' - the next stages could progress, as they have made clear to those of us who receive their newsletters.

Quite what Dapol are doing to progress the D61XX etc seems to be known only to them so it is hardly surprising that various theories regarding progress, or the lack of it, spill forth onto the interweb.  As with some other model railway development nowadays I'm sorry to say that the only realistic information is that backed up by photos which actually illustrate what is said to be happening.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I was just about to remark that someone had previously mentioned that Dapol were collaborating with Fred Phipps who has produced a gauge 1 21/29. On searching the thread it was yours truly who made this connection to a comment from Dapol

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/25872-Dapol-class-2129/?p=1461653

Admittedly a while ago now!

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My decision to buy or not will be down to the colour of the BR Blue livery.

Not got much confidence after the Class 22 and Class 73 efforts neither of which to me looked even nearly right.

Surely Dapol can get a decent match to a Hornby or Bachmann rendition of BR Blue to get it to look something like!

Which shade of Hornby or Bachmann BR blue? There are several (eg Bachys 37254 is much greener than 40075), and Heljan's are different again. Do agree that the Dapol 73 was far too purple though.

• RMweb Gold

Well guys I got that fed up waiting for the d6xx from kernow I've moved up a gauge, jltrt seemed to manage a model no problem and what a cracker it looks to be.

I was not aware that they had a Class 21 or 29. Will have to take a look.

Ok, taking a look, I realise you said D6xx. oops

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• 4 weeks later...

Seven pictures on Robert Carroll's Flickr here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/sets/72157603653354391/page2

Plus these ones elsewhere:

Class 29 D6116 shunting an ex-LNER Coronation observation car at Mallaig, 9-67.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/21563948382/in/dateposted/

Two on shed at Stirling 19-5-65.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/26574607116/in/dateposted/

Hopefully not posted previously!

Class 29 D6130 at Perth.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/26819019606/in/dateposted/

• Like 4