Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

I think the Kernow Warship may win that prize it was annouced a few months before the 

Wrenn (Hornby doublo) announced the Adams Radial decades ago - it would appear in catalogues but took messrs Oxford and Hornby  until this year to actually produce one.

Wrenn (Hornby doublo) announced the Adams Radial decades ago - it would appear in catalogues but took messrs Oxford and Hornby  until this year to actually produce one.

Actually it was last year for Hornby and the year before that for Oxfordrail.

Not sure if that counts as it is not really the same manufacturer. But I can remember the N Gauge GWR 2251 in the Peco catalogue when I was a teenager and it took decades for that to become reality.

Of course the Lima V2...

A Hornby-Dublo V2 got at least as far as an engineering drawing for the loco body, or 'housing' in H-D terminology.

Around 1968, Trix announced a Brush Type 4, which was solely an artists sketch in the catalogue.

The Nim.

• RMweb Premium

We keep getting new dates so nothings guaranteed but the link below suggests they're close. EP/Tooling examples should hopefully be ready for Ally Pally.

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/class-21-29/793-still-looking-for-news/page2

A couple of months after another manufacturer announces they are making a class 29. :nono:

I doubt anyone else will announce these now. Dapol have had enough issues and 7 years of development as it is. I have spoken several times to people at Dapol and this project is awaiting expert livery knowledge and Ep's. They are in tooling.

They are very close and more information is also close, 4-6 weeks and we may get livery and press order details.

• RMweb Premium

I’d be astonished if anyone introduced a new 21/29 other than Hornby reintroducing their old one in the Railroad Range. But that’s a completely different market. If this is produced to the standard of the 68, and there is no reason to think otherwise, then this will be a corker

It still amazes me though that manufacturers are prepared to develop an offbeat diesel loco failure that lasted what 10-12 years , yet there are mainstream Scottish steam locos that lasted 80 years and in several different colour schemes that are not being modelled.

It still amazes me though that manufacturers are prepared to develop an offbeat diesel loco failure that lasted what 10-12 years , yet there are mainstream Scottish steam locos that lasted 80 years and in several different colour schemes that are not being modelled.

Probably because only a questionable proportion of modellers fancy Scottish teamakers I shouldn't wonder

• RMweb Gold

I’d be astonished if anyone introduced a new 21/29 other than Hornby reintroducing their old one in the Railroad Range. But that’s a completely different market. If this is produced to the standard of the 68, and there is no reason to think otherwise, then this will be a corker

Diesels blend better.

I can stick a 17 with a 20/24/5/6/7/31/37/40/45/46/47/50 and that’s a Scottish one.

I can stick a 33 with 14/5/6/20/24/5/6/7/31/35/37/40/42/3/5/6/7/50/52

That’s lots of national overlap. (Of the above the only odd one I couldn’t place with either was a 44).

To represent either geography, I just need to reposition 2-3 locos, even then I can still have an excuse for an off territory visitor.

A lot of Scottish steam classes are obscure small fleets, and the few that were preserved aren’t very well represented in preservation and even less ever wandered south of the border, before or after preservation, indeed I think Scottish steam, I think HR103, 673 Maude and Caley 828. I think of Scottish steam in BR days I think A4’s, 2p, 2mt, Black 5’, K1,2,3,4, B1, BR stds, all of which have South of the border links.

Maybe I need educating, but i’m Probably not alone.

Edited by adb968008

Err.. Not quite Stuart - Whist D5300-5319 were allocated to 34B from new D5320-5346 and D5347-D5368 went to the ScR from new.  For the Class 21's D6138-D6157 went to the ScR from new.  Whilst they were not uniquely Scottish they all gravitated to the ScR eventually.  The Class 29's stand alone as being uniquely "Scottish"

​Do we really need to justify why we shouldn't get a "Scottish" engine?  There's been some pretty obscure classes and single loco's produced in the last few years.

• Like 1

Err.. Not quite Stuart - Whist D5300-5319 were allocated to 34B from new D5320-5346 and D5347-D5368 went to the ScR from new.  For the Class 21's D6138-D6157 went to the ScR from new.  Whilst they were not uniquely Scottish they all gravitated to the ScR eventually.  The Class 29's stand alone as being uniquely "Scottish"

​Do we really need to justify why we shouldn't get a "Scottish" engine?  There's been some pretty obscure classes and single loco's produced in the last few years.

Err - unless others know better:

When new, D6100-9 were allocated to 34B Hornsey, D6110-9 to 30A Stratford and D6120-37 to 32B Ipswich. D6127 delivered new on 06/10/1959, to Scotland (Eastfield 65A) on 07/05/1960. The last 20 of the class were delivered new to Kittybrewster. In 1960 they were all transferred to Scotland, some from 1963 returning to Paxman at Colchester for new engines and became Class 29.

Paul

Err - unless others know better:

When new, D6100-9 were allocated to 34B Hornsey, D6110-9 to 30A Stratford and D6120-37 to 32B Ipswich. D6127 delivered new on 06/10/1959, to Scotland (Eastfield 65A) on 07/05/1960. The last 20 of the class were delivered new to Kittybrewster. In 1960 they were all transferred to Scotland, some from 1963 returning to Paxman at Colchester for new engines and became Class 29.

Paul

D6127 went to 34B, it was D6138 that was the first to go straight to a Scottish shed when it was allocated to Edinburgh (St Margaret's) The remainder went to Aberdeen (Kittybrewster).