NORTHEASTERN KITS

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

LNER CLASS Q5

NER CLASSES T and T1

This is the first of a new range of etched brass/nickel kits for locos of the North Eastern Railway. The T/T1 locos were the first 0-8-0 locos built by the NER. These locos were built with both slide valve and piston valves. There were 50 of the former and all saw service in France in WW1. All returned to the NER. In LNER days they were classified as Q5. No distinction was made between the two types.

These kits contain all etches and castings to complete the locos but smaller parts are not included. These are commonly available from other trade outlets. They include axle bearings, handrail knobs and wire as well as nuts and bolts. Choice of motor gearbox and wheels are left to th modeller's choice although reccommendations are included with the detailed instructions.

The first batch is aimed specifically at those working in OO or EM and the tender is intended to be built with a rigid underframe. I have found it neccessary to rework the springing of the tender and this revised version will be available as soon as I have the new etches and checked that everything works as intended. Price of the kit is £95 including P&P. All enquiries via personal message or Email to CharlesArthurK@aol.com

More details of these models can be found in Arthur's Workshop on RMWEB in the Scratchbuiding/kitbuilding forum

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS Q5

Another shot of the underside of the Q5 showing the hornblocks and axleboxes. Note the detachable springs (P4 only) which also act as keepers for the axleboxes. The boiler is an early test etch. The boiler band loctions are no longer etched into the boiler but thier positions are etched at the bottom joint

post-6751-0-60905400-1294339946_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS NER T/T1 (LNER Q5)

Things have been plodding along rather more slowly than I intended but I am nearing the full release of this kit. The rigid underframe version is already available. I am awaiting the production etches for the sprung tender version.

I am also taking the opportunity to re-work some of the lost wax masters. The crossheads for the first batch required work on my part to clear a small obstruction which prevented the connecting rod fitting correctly. The backhead fittings are also being improved.

I now expect being able to ship these kits in three weeks. Anyone wishing to order one of these please contact me either by PM or by Email if you have not already done so. The cost of the basic kit is £95.00 including P&P within GB. I can supply the HighLevel hornblocks and axleboxes for the tender for an additions cost of £6.00. These are the 'Mini' variety for which the tender underframe is specifically designed. No cheques yet please, I will be in contact as soon as they are available.

You may have noticed elsewhere in the Scatchbuildig/Kitbuilding forum that MikeMeg is in the process of doing a test build of the Q5/2 (the LNER rebuild with the 5' 6" boiler from withdraw H&B 0-8-0s). Hopefully he will find no major snags. If not this version should follow in about a month later.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

At long last I now have all of the castings to complete this kit. All that remains now is to update the instructions for the sprung tender. I lost these when my computer crashed so that there is a bit of rewriting to do and a few diagrams to update. I can start taking orders, I have six ready to ship (apart from the instructions). I am on holiday from May 28 for one week. Things will move as soon as I return.

Basic price etches and castings £95. Including Highlevel spring units for the tender price is £102. Please specify gauge when ordering.

Handrail knobs, wire etc. are not included. Builder needs motor, gearbox and wheels to complete.

All enquiries via personal message or Email to CharlesArthurK@aol.com

Those that have already expressed an interest will receive an Email, probably this week but I have lost my original customer database so that there may be a few missed.

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After many delays I am about to start shipping this kit. I have already sent out some of the Rigid tender versions of this but I can now start supplying the sprung tender version which eminently suitable for those modelling in 18.83mm gauge but can also be applied to those who model in EM.

Those of you who have already expressed an interest in this model should recieve an Email from me in the next few days. I do have most of the Email addresses. I did lose a lot of my customer list in my recent computer crash but I think that I can recall most of them. If you don't hear from me or if you have not contacted me before then drop me an Email to CharlesArthutK@aol.com or PM to RMWEB. Please state the gauge that you model inand if you require a sprung tender.

The price of the rigid version is £95. The sprung tender includes the small HighLevel units and the spring hangers and priced at £102. These prices include P&P within the United Kingdom. The tender frames are not suitable for other makes of hornblocks

Arthur

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS SMALL LOCO PARTS

Following on from the release of the Q5 I am now able to supply castings for the smaller NER locos. These are suitable for 4' 3" boilers.

The first lost wax parts include three styles of safety valves (Ramsbottom, Ross pop with casing and Ross pop without casing.

The second sprue contains various boiler and other fitting including whistles (single and twin), blower valve, Smokebox door handles (twin handle and wheel and handle) and right angled globe lubbricators. There are two tender brake standards on this sprue as well as two sandbox fillers.

The third sprue contains backhead fittings (older style) including regulator and also the boiler clack valves. There is also a firebox door.

The cast white metal fittings include chimney, dome, smokebox door and backhead. The latter is recessed to take an etched fireshield into which the cast firedoor sits.

Two small etches are included. the first contains the fold-up fireshield wilst the latter contains various handwheels (needed to complete the backhead detasils) as well as a selection of spacing washers and enough boiler bands for one loco.

I am offering the whole collection (one loco) for £21.00 pus p&p £2.00.

Also now available are white metal castings for the 3038 gallon tender. Six axleboxes, two tool boxes (old Style) and the tank filler. These cost £5.00. If ordered with the loco castings these do not require p&p otherwise please add £2.00.

Enquires by Email to CharlesArthurK@aol.com oR by PM

Arthur

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am always pleased to receive photographs of models built from my etches. The model below and the photograph are by Roger Stapleton. Not yet complete it is to be finished in NER lined green livery. Being one of the very early batch the footplate mas been shortened by 6" (2mm) the give a front overhang of 8' 0" as opposed to the 8' 6" on later builds. Also the early builds had lever reverse rather than steam reverse, hence the absense of the steam reversing cylinders above the right-hand sandbox. Roger is also looking for a source of a brass capped chimney as used on the earliest builds.

I look forward to seeing the model dressed in all its green finery

post-6751-0-36513500-1310163105_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

LNER Q5/2

At last there is progress on the LNER Q5/2. I now have all the masters thanks to a good friend of mine. All that remains now is to get them made into castings. Not sure if these will be brass which I would prefer or whitemetal which would require a new mould.

The production etches for this are on order and hopefully there will be no defects this time around. With a bit of luck I should have things rolling in time for Christmas.

To whet your appertite here are three pictures with the masters in place. If they are not seating perfectly it is because of the minute amount of Blue Tack holding them in place. The "windjabber " on the chimney was not normally present on Q5/2s. It is the B16 style which did have this feature. Some carried Q7 style chimneys. The Q5/2 itself is the very first test build from about three years ago. There are a few faults on this . Believe it or not the smokebox is a smidgen too small in diameter and the boiler a little too large. The result from these two errors is that the step between smokebox and boiler in not as big as it should be. The under frame was pinched from the Q5/1 as it was the only one with most things in place!

The tender is a new build with CSB suspension. The will be supplied on request with all locos with this tender. I am also adding this to the tender for theTennant 2-4-0. The latter tender is similar but not identical with that behind my J24 but only held 2651 gallons of water as it lacked the well tank. The very early J24s were also equipped with the same tender but were later fitted with a well tank bringing their capacity up to 3038 gallons. The main visible difference is that the smaller capacity tenders had square corners to the front of the coal well rather than the rounded edges as on all later NER tenders.

post-6751-0-04869400-1318773916_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-17883900-1318773937_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-01299900-1318773966_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

LNER Q5/2

I know that some of my customers are awaiting the Q5/2. This has been slow because I decided to improve a number of the castings. The chimney and dome are now in brass and improved backhead and snokebox doors are on the way as is the later style of tender toolbox.

On rhe positive side I have twelve sets of etches waiting to go.

Hpwever the main reason for this announcement is that I will out of action for a little whiie as I am goimg for a short stay in hospital to sort out an eye problem. Although the stay is short full recovery will be longer.

However on the positive side I am about to send the test etches for the A6 to Mike Meggison so look out for reports on that on his A6 thread. Once that is sorted the 'W' 4-6-0T should not be far behind.

ArthurK

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

NER T/T1,LNER Q5/1 and Q5/2

I note the annoucement of the duplication of my T/T1 and Q5/2 as cast white metal with etched boilers, cabs and underframes. Why not go all the way with a fully etched kit. I can offer both of these models as etched kits with lots of detail and both white metal and lost wax castimgs. The latter are well detailed.

These kits are designed with P4 in mind but are equally buildable in EM or OO. A photo above shopws Roger Stapleton's build in OO. also above are my own builds in P4.

All the castings used by these and others of my kits are available separately. Below is a photograph of the bundle for NER locos with 4' 3" boilers 0-6-0s J21, J24 and J25 and also tank locos G5, N8, N9 and N10. Tank fillers are available in lost wax.

post-6751-0-65831000-1342710372_thumb.jpg

A closeup- of the tank fillers.

post-6751-0-50874700-1342710475_thumb.jpg

lost wax castings as supplied for the Q5/1. Alao showing chimney, dome and safety valves for the Q5/2.

post-6751-0-78867400-1342710488_thumb.jpg

Price list on application to CharlesArthurK@aol.com

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

NER T/T1,LNER Q5/1 and Q5/2

Further to the above posting I have other models of NER locos in the pipeline. The probable order of release will be A6, NER "W" 4-6-0T, B15 4-6-0 (NER S2), Tennant 2-4-0 and the NER T3 (LNER Q7). Also in the design stage are the D20 (NER R 4-4-00 and the N10 0-6-2T.

ArthurK

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

The Q5/2 is now being packed and ready to go

After many delays the Q5/2 is now available. Price is £105 and includes many brass castings for the loco. All enquiries via PM or via the details in the attached PDF. Photos of this kit can be found on Mike Meggison's thread "Building a NER Q5/2" and on my own thread "Arthur's Workshop".

These kits do require additional small parts including handrail knobs. wire etc. The choice of motor/gearbox and wheels is left to the builder.

For those requiring Springing or compensation I can supply the HighLevel axleboxes and hornblocks at additional cost.

The full range of kits available is in the attachment. Future releases are also listed. Included in this list is the A6 4-6-2T and the NER "W" 4-6-0T as well as the Tennant 2-4-0, B15 4-6-0 and Q7. Further down the line is the LNER D20 (NER "R" Class)

ArthurK

NORTHEASTERN KITS Price List.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

MORE BRASS CASTINGS

I am steadily adding to the castings that I am adding to my kits. This way a new loco can benefit from the castings aleady available. Many NER locos relied on the Westinghouse pump for the train brakes. When the switch to vacuum brakes was made in the 1930s the locos often retained the Airbrakes for the loco. This meant that the Westinghouse pumps were still visible on many locos. I some cases this was until withdrawal by BR. A Westinghouse pump became an essential casting to add to the range. This arrived this morning and is seen poised on the first prototype Tennant (stuck with Bluetack). I could post a much larger view of the pump itself but that is really being too cruel. Better to see it in context with the loco that carried it

post-6751-0-00818600-1345833660_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-75666700-1345833667_thumb.jpg

Of course train brakes need pipes to deliver the air or vacuum. A second essential is therefore Westinghouse and/or vacuum pipes. So here again castings for these are necessary. White metal is too vunerable for this job so it has to be brass. And whilst we are about it we need train heating pipes. I made up a sprue with vacuum pipes, Westinghouse pipes and train heating pipes, two of each. Many locos were dual fitted in early LNER days so needed both air and vacuum pipes. Also Pasenger locos normally carried heating pipes at front and rear.

post-6751-0-49020300-1345834308_thumb.jpg

Now for the extra bits needed for the Tennant - front axleboxes and springs and the screw/lever reverser. We're getting there!

ArthurK.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Arthur, I'd love to know how you made the masters for the brake and heating hoses. They are exquisite.

And is there where a catalogue of your products?

Ian

Ian

These are mostly a mix of tube and wire. The corner fittings are tube filed almost though with a square file, cut to length, wire inserted then bent through a rightangle. Hoses are wire wrapped and soldered. Just for the fun (?) of it I added the handles to the heating and Westinghouse pipes. All other flanges etc. are bits of tube filed to size.

All of my brass castings can be purchased separately but I do not split them. All are priced at around £4.25 a sprue. For the side tank fillers that is the price for a pair. The list of kits is in the PDF below. I do not yet have a list castings but enquiries are welcome.

Contact details are in the PDF.

ArthurK

NORTHEASTERN KITS Price List.pdf

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Arthur, there's no mention (unless I've missed it) of postage, is this included or to be calculated?

Sorry about that. My fault.

P&P for kits is £3. Orders over £75 Post free. Each kit contains all the castings.

P&P for each set of castings is £2. If ordered with another kit then postage as above.

I can supply Individual castings on request. Brass sprues cannot be split. These latter cost around £4.25 per sprue.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 1

Arthur refers, above, to the availability of the LNER Q5/2 kit - these locos were never North Eastern in their Q5/2 state. This was/is the test build for this kit, 'dressed' more or less ex-works, in the final style of LNER lettering and numbering.

Lovely kit to build and makes up into a fine model.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-27082400-1346597204.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

I have not posted anything on this thread for a while. That does not mean that nothing is happening. On the contrary you could say that I have been too busy.  However several projects are reaching fruition. This is the current situation.

The following are still available

J24, Q5 and Q5/2 in stock and available for immediate delivery.

The J73 is currently out of stock but will be reordered if there is further demand for it.

The J77 with the Fletcher cab is withdrawn. The Worsdell cab version is in the state of advanced development. See my separate thread on that. The Fletcher cab version will be reissued in a revamped form. It will have a choice of rectangular or round cab windows. Some were different front and back! I have the advance etches for this and progress on this will follow on the J77 thread.

A6 (NER class W rebuild) 4-6-2T

The A6 is ready. I have not pushed this because there is one brass casting missing. This is with the casters and should be here soon (probably the end of next week).

post-6751-0-11885500-1363448318_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-37774000-1363448263_thumb.jpg

NER class W 4-6-0T

I hav just received the production etches for this and after final checking this will follow close behind the A6.

post-6751-0-00438800-1363448764_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-76588200-1363448725.jpg

More notes on progress to follow.

ArthurK

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

NER 290 CLASS (LNER J77)

Darlington rebuilds of 1920 with Worsdell cab

This is a completely new kit. There were just ten BTP 0-4-4WT locos rebuilt by Darlington in 1920. Unlike the earlier rebuilds which retained the Fletcher cab profile these were given cabs very similar to the NER classes E and E1 (LNER J71 & J72). The frames of these locos were 6 inches longer than the older rebuilds.

The kit follows my usual format of fold and tab to give accurate location of the parts. The photographs below are of  the first test build, In the last shot the chinmney and dome as not properly fiited but simply posed for the photograph.

Most of the castings are already available. All that is needed are the front springs and sandboxes. All being well the kit should be available within about three months.

A completely new kit of the earlier rebuilds will also be available. It will have a choice of round or rectangular cab windows. One is known to have been different front and back!

post-6751-0-29248100-1364202136_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-89958300-1364202082_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-95956800-1364202096_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-08119000-1364202107_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-18657400-1364202116_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-58950600-1364202148_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-61303200-1364202160_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-99514500-1364202174_thumb.jpg

• Like 4