NORTHEASTERN KITS

ArthurK

That's a nice build of the Q5/1. Having built almost all of the kits in Arthur's range, apart from the Q5/1 and the J24, can I make this comment on the coupling rods. I've always used the two layers of etch, soldered together. After soldering the two layers together I normally just dress the rod with a fine file to remove the join line. I also slightly reduce the thickness of the rod, though not at the journals, and by rather less than the thickness of one layer of the material. This just to remove any excess solder and to burnish the rods.

And I do prefer the additional bearing area at the journals, afforded by the two layers soldered together.

Building these kits to P4 gauge, can be exacting in terms of clearances, especially on outside cylindered locos but then the prototypes had very tight clearances between crankpins and motion, down to 1/2" on the B15's. Certainly on the B15 and Q5/2 I used flush crankpin nuts on the front drivers, which works well and prevents any fouling.

Cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

New for 2015

Just to show that I have not been completely idle over the last few monrhs There are two new kits due probably mid year. The first to appear will be the NER Class E. This became LNER J71.

There were a few problems with this design not least being the rear splashers protruding into the cab space. The photos below omit these and their design has been simplified. The outer face of the splasher will be a fold-up from the footplate. New on this will be the straps tying the tanks to the boiler. All NER tank locos had these but this is the first time that I have attempted them. On the J71 there were four. The tanks had right-angle brackets tto which a strap from the boiler was bolted. On the photos you will see four slots where these straps passed through the boiler cleading. Somethimes these were quite large holes but not visible from a normal viewpoint.

post-6751-0-10546900-1421422785_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-11190700-1421422799_thumb.jpg

The second new kit will be the the NER Class V/09 which became LNER C6. This is the later batch and followed the splasher design of the later B13s This was carried over to the B15. The V/09 kit relies heavily on the experience gained with the B15 design. I have not progressed very far with this biuild as yet  but the photos give an impression of the model. Thts requies a hew tender. This is the none self-trimming version with a capacity of 4125 gallons of water. The tenders behind the C6s had the outerframes the same as those the 3940 gallon tenders with 'D' shaped cut-outs. The same tender was used on the Z Atlantics but on the second batch of these the outer frame cut-ous were oval in shape and lacked the small cut-outs at the frame ends. Both styles will be included in the kit making it suitable for a possible future Z kit. Note that these tenders also ran behind Q6s when their tenders were swapp[ed with those from C7s.

post-6751-0-92040000-1421423942_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-13747600-1421424720_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I admit that the D20 is running late but don't worry it will appear. It has been delayed due to the preparation of some of the masters for the lost wax castings. I plan to cast the chimney in brass, also the valve covers between the front frames. Then I need to complete the instructions. I am not sure if I can complete in February but it should be ready to release in March.

The Q7 I hope will be ready mid year.

The J77s should release in late February. Again I need one new lost wax casting for this but these have a short delivery time.

Looks like I am going to have a very busy year.

ArthurK

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Steve

Things are happening but I am not going to rush the D20 out just to make Scalefour.  It is progressing. I have all the brass masters for the lost wax castings but I still need to sprue some together and I haven't got the instructions written yet. I have sufficient etches for eight loco and tender bodies but I am awaiting  underframes for both (expected next week).

It is looking increasingly unlikely that I will have them for Scalefour North although I may bring the etches along as a tempter!

I have the J77 instructions to complete and will have the Worsdell cab version (and hopefully the Fletcher cab version as well) available then.

Hopefully I will have the first builds of the C6 (V/09) and the J71 with me.

ArthurK

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

New for Scaleforum North 2015

NER CLASS 290 (1921 Darlington Renbuilds with Worsdell cab)

Just a few minor additions to the instructions then things are ready to go. Additions to the kit include the tank vents (only the 1921 rebuilds had these on the tank tops) and the injectors on the ashpan sides, new brake standard and brass front springs.

Below are a few shots of my test build. These used older etches with the footangle six inches deep whereas it should be 8". Sorry but the sanding rod on the RHS has dropped a little (should be horizontal) and that on the left is a little bent. One thing that I learned from adding these details was to complete them before soldering the boiler in place. In particular adding the spings were a nightmare and led to more that a few swear words. It's a good job that I don't have a swear box - it would be full!

This build sports a whitemetal chimney, that in the kit is brass.

post-6751-0-72638400-1427814874_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-95398900-1427814881_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-15851600-1427814890_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-79392900-1427814904_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-24145600-1427814911_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-91359700-1427814897_thumb.jpg

This one is modelled to P4 standards but in order to save time it currently has a rigid chassis. Some day I will update it to include compensation. 

The trouble is that I rarely get to fully finish a model. The one lacks the cab detail and I cannot decide wheter on not to add clack valves to the boiler. I probably should as this sports one of the earlier boilers with the dome in the forward position.

Now to complete (?) the build of the Fletcher cab version.

ArthurK

• Like 9

......Some day I will update it to include compensation. 

The trouble is that I rarely get to fully finish a model. .....

Someone once asked "is a model ever really finished?"

In my case, I tend to see kits as helpful test-beds for developing other experiments.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

It was good to be able to chat with customers at SCALEFORUM NORTH. I know most only  by their Email addresses!

It was successful visit but it does mean that several of my kits are now out of stock. 

These include the J24, J73, Tennant 2-4-0, Q5, B15 and the W 4-6-0T. These will not be reordered except for firm orders are in the offing. That usually means a batch of about 4-6. If you want any of these please get in touch. It is just possible that there be one more batch of the Tennant 2-4-0 and Q5 0-8-0 as I have sutplus underframes for those..

Stocks of some others in the range are low. 

A6 (NER W) 4.6.2T

Q5/2 0-8-0

N10 (NER U) 0-6-2T

J73 (NER L) 0-6-0T (one only)

The new release of the J77 with Worsdell cab is available. The Fletcher cab version is scheduled for the end of May but may be delayed due to a redesign of the cab floor to make the cab interior more accessible.

The D20 is still scheduled for June.

It looks like Mike Meggison's build of the J71 has gone well and it requires only a liitle further development.

The C6 (V/09 version) test builds are progressing well but there is some further development necessary.

The remaining loco under development is the Q7. The bodywork requires one more test build but there is still work to do on the underframe.

With luck the J71 should be available in July/August. The other two should be ready by the year end.

Is there a demand for the B13 (NER S class) with Raven frames and splashers? The footplate and underframe are virtually identical with those of the B15. It would require only a redesign of the boiler, cab front and roof. Let me know if you are interested. They disappeared in the 1930s but should be of interest to pre-grouping modellers.

ArthurK

.....The remaining loco under development is the Q7. The bodywork requires one more test build but there is still work to do on the underframe.....

This is the one I'm waiting for, if only for the sheer behemoth proportions! Would look well next to a Q6.

• 1 month later...

I am in the process of building the tender for the NER t/T1 loco I recently purchased. I have got to the point of fitting the curved top and on looking for the parts realised that they are supplied already curved. This is a nice touch as it was a job I wasn't looking forward to doing.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any news on the J71?

Things tend to get delayed for a number of reasons. Sometimes there are delays in receiving the etches  and sometimes it is my fault. My customers probably know that I will not release a kit until I am completely sure that it will build and that the parts are as accurate as I can make them.

In the case of the J71 Both Mike Meggison and I have completed test builds. As a result of these I have made two or three changes in the design. These involve changes to the rear splashers which protrude into the cab and abandoning the fold down footplate angle which at only 1mm is not easy to do. Weakening this so that it will bend (adding slots along the bend) is successful but leads to a very flimsy result and too easily distorted. These changes will be sent off within the next week. I will then have to keep my fingers crossed that these will be the production etches.

A similar happening has occurred with both the Fletcher cab version of the J77 and the D20. I am currently awaiting new etches for the bodies of both of these. If these prove OK production should follow as I have all the other etches and all of the castings.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sometimes customers send me photos of their finished kits. I am always very pleased to receive these but those that  I have recently received are truly exceptional. The loco below is admittedly professionally built and painted but when I see results like this it convinces that I am not wasting my time.  This one is owned by David Berner. It was built by Michael Edge who has commented on the build in earlier postings on this thread. Painting is by Paul Moore and the finish is superb.

post-6751-0-15387200-1444488630_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-61489100-1444488648_thumb.jpg

It leaves my humble efforts in the shade

ArthurK

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

Just a quick update. New etches arrived Thursday. These are the Production etches for the D20 and the Fletcher cab J77. A quick check build is called for as there is a substantial change to the D20 which is why it has been so long delayed. Things are looking good so the production run should be ordered within days. I have a number of D20 kits 90% packed so that adding the new etches to the production kits should take  only a short time after they arrive. Currently etch delivery is 4-5 weeks. I will add an update here when they arrive.

The Fletcher cab J77 required a change the the cab floor which, in theory, should drop out of the bottom making the cab interior easily accessible. Time-scale for that one will be the same as the D20. 

The Pre-production etches for the J71 have also arrived. A visual inspection of these has revealed a couple of minor errors which can be corrected on the films (missing tags). As I have all the castings for this it should be ready soon after those above but I intend to add more detail between the frames which will require a couple of new castings

The Q7 will be delayed until the New Year. Whereas the major part of this is already proven I have decided that because of the highly placed boiler I really must add some detail between the frames. In particular the centre piston valve rod is only just below the top of the frames with the centre slide bar  and the other two valve rods below it. These additions will require quite a bit of new design but I think that the results will be worthwhile.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Arthur,

That was welcome news on progress on the D20, as I'm looking froward to these coming out following my experience of building one of your J73.

The J71's also of interest as these also survived into the period I model.

(I 'stretch' the dates deliberately to include a D20, but only a DJH one at present)

Are you ready yet to take expression of interest / reservation / deposit on these two?

If so, count me in!

Ken

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

The D20s are coming

The packing of the first batch of D20s will be complete within a couple of days. Those of you at the top of my  list will receive an Email asking if you are still interested in these. I hope to get most of this first batch dispatched before Xmas but things are getting a little tight.

If you in any doubt as to whether you name is on the list drop me an Email or PM. There are about 20 names on my list. I intend to release this kit in batches of 12. The next batch will be in the New Year.

The current price list is in the PDF below.

NORTHEASTERN KITS Price List.pdf

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 2