NORTHEASTERN KITS

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

Mick

I don't mind short excursions into my thread as long as there is some relevance. I thought that I was right about your enquiry about a 7MM version of the J73. I did give it some thought but I was very unhappy with the widths of slots and thickness of tabs. I use a lot of those. I considered that if the artwork was simply scaled up most the tabs and slots would be far too sloppy. I like my tab and slots to be on the tight side. I could of course have redrawn all the slots and since I make intensive use of 'styles' I could modify these to take account of the new thicknesses. The other problem was that to fit onto the sheet sizes that I use then all of the bits on the artwork would need to be juggled around to fit.

In all I didn't consider that it was economically viable for the numbers likely to be sold.

I assume that with all that detail on the boiler front (and with added pipework) that the smoke box door will open to show your handiwork.

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

The trick is to scale thickness of the metal by about the same amount as you scale the other dimensions. So if you 0.3mm in 4mm use 0.5mm in 7mm. This way the relationship between the width and depth of the slot is maintained.

Of course I knew that but do we really want 0.5mm bodywork - even in 7mm?

ArthurK

• Like 1

MickI don't mind short excursions into my thread as long as there is some relevance. I thought that I was right about your enquiry about a 7MM version of the J73. I did give it some thought but I was very unhappy with the widths of slots and thickness of tabs. I use a lot of those. I considered that if the artwork was simply scaled up most the tabs and slots would be far too sloppy. I like my tab and slots to be on the tight side. I could of course have redrawn all the slots and since I make intensive use of 'styles' I could modify these to take account of the new thicknesses. The other problem was that to fit onto the sheet sizes that I use then all of the bits on the artwork would need to be juggled around to fit.In all I didn't consider that it was economically viable for the numbers likely to be sold.I assume that with all that detail on the boiler front (and with added pipework) that the smoke box door will open to show your handiwork.ArthurK

You're right Arthur, the smoke box door will be openning as will the cover on the footplate immediately in front of the cylinder covers. It will also have working inside motion and I'm hoping a decent DCC sound set up if I can find a suitable one?

ATB Mick

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

TENNANT 2-4-0 UPDATE

I have just received the last brass castings for this kit. Apart from having to complete the instructions everything is now ready for release of the first six kits. There is a waiting list for these so those at the top of the list will be receiving a reminder from me in the next few days.

Below are two pictures of the new castings. Because these are much larger than life they don't do justice to the actual bits. Close-up photography can be cruel!

The first picture shows the chimney, front spring and front axlebox. This kit will be supplied with the brass chimney as standard.

post-6751-0-57909500-1374850208_thumb.jpg 

The second photo shows the lever/screw reverser and the earlier form of driver's Westinghouse brake. Also shown are the sandbox fillers and the water on/off taps for engine and tender. There is some failures on the last items as they have not all cast well. However for those who would prefer an etched lever this alternative is supplied on the body etch.

post-6751-0-51353800-1374850092_thumb.jpg

I expect to finish off the instructions in the coming week.

Beyond these first six I need to order further etches. These will take about three or four weeks to arrive as the etchers are in the middle of their annual summer break.

Thank you for your patience.

ArthurK

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

TENNANT 2-4-0 UPDATE

The first batch has been delivered.

New etches arrived yesterday and a second batch of twelve are now being prepared.

Most of these are reserved and those on the list will receive an Email.

if anyone else wants one of these please let me know via PM or Email. These are released in small batches. Advance orders are welcome so that I can judge the size of the next batch.

NORTHEASTERN KITS

post-6751-0-76363200-1380059748.jpg

NER CLASS 1463 (Tennant) 2-4-0 LNER CLASS E5

Complete with NER 2651 GALLON TENDER

font]

Contains all etches, castings and instructions.

Requires handrail knobs, wire, gearbox, motor, wheels to complete.

Arthur Kimber

Email CharlesArthurK@aol.com

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I trust the rear driver brakes aren't outside the rods...

That was corrected but I seem to have picked up the wrong drawing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ArthurK

Now got the right drawing. Does that look better Miss Prism?

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

First a Happy New Year to all.

Things are progressing slowly. The B15 still requires some new castings. As some of these are in white metal new moulds will take about six weeks. It is just possible that the N10 will appear first if I can get around to finishing the instructions. I believe I have all the castings for that. Like the B15 the D20 requires new castings but as these will be in brass these will be 2-3 weeks delivery once the masters are ready.

I have kits available for immediate delivery. These include the  A6 4-6-2T (2), J24 and W4-6-0T ( one of each) and the Q5/2.

Further A6s are being packed and a further batch of 6 Tennant 2-4-0s is awaiting some brass castings which are on order.

Kits which I expect will be available within the next three months are the B15, D20 and N10. Beyond that the two versions or the J77 with Fletcher and Worsdell cabs will follow.

In the pipe-line for later in the year are J71 and the V/09 Atlantic.

I am also doing some further development of the NER Bow End coaches (D152-D159).

If you are interested in any of the above send me an Email.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

B15 Update

After years of trials and tests the B15 (NER S2) will be available from Scaleforum North Apr 12/13. This Has been the most difficult kit to design due to the complexities of the footplate and the fact that the front and rear sections of same are separated by the cylinders.  The design uses a cradle on which the footplate, cab and smokebox saddle are built. This is a very handsome loco and much more elegant than its big brothers the B16.

There is a lot of detail to add on the model especially so if the Westinghouse pump and its associated pipework is added. Add to that the mechanical lubricator and six other oil pots each side to lubricate the slidebars and cylinders. These latter are still to be added on the photographs below. In the cab we have brake valves for the vacuum train brakes and for the Westinghouse brake as well as the steam/water valves for the injectors and the screw reverser. Most were converted to steam brake in the 1930s. 

The tender is NER standard 3940 gallon variety. These locos were initially fitted with water pickup gear and featured a square water dome. An air reservoir was prominently fitted  below the rear bufferbeam.

Below is the final test build nearing completion. I lacks the brake detail, buffers etc. and work is still to be done on the coupling and connecting rods.

post-6751-0-09909400-1396723912_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-23357700-1396723936_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-74954100-1396724202_thumb.jpg

The first test build took place in 2007! However the experienced gained on this can be used again on my next "big engine" project the V09 (LNER C6 - Raven version) and also on further Atlantic projects.

Not a kit for the newcomer to etched brass but experienced modellers should not have too many problems. As with all my kits (although designed wit P4 in mind) alternative parts are provided for EM and OO.

Below are the lost wax castings supplied in the kit

post-6751-0-34984700-1396724812_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the bent cab step on the left and also for the whistle, I didn't do a very good job when I soldered that I got a dry joint.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 9

NORTHEASTERN KITS

B15 Update

This is a very handsome loco and much more elegant than its big brothers the B16.

Very true but some of us have a soft spot for the B16s, especially 61444, which was one of Hull's last steamers.

(Hint, Hint!)

Ian

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

B15 Update

Just another few shots of the B15!

post-6751-0-17801800-1396798244_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-85740300-1396798273_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-01504100-1396798300_thumb.jpg

Now to get those coupling/connecting rods sorted out!

ArthurK

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the compliments. If this one goes down well we will have to move on to some of the other "big" NER engines such as the Atlantics. Apart from the Q5 I nave tended to concentrate on the smaller locos and tank locos they take rather less effort. However now that I have the most common tenders designed (apart from the early 4125 gallon tenders behind the C6s and first C7s) that leaves only the locos themselves to worry about.  

The next off the line will be the N10 (NER U) as I have all the necessary castings for that. Then when I have the brass castings sorted the D20 will follow. The two versions of the J77 (290) also use standard castings apart from the front spring and sandboxes and as I now have those they shouldn't take a lot more effort. Then I really must concentrate  on the Q7 (T3), that will need a new mechanical lubricator (similar to that on B15 but taller and with two rows  of outlet pipes. I have chimneys and domes for that.

Looks like this will be a busy year.

ArthurK

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

B15 Update

Managed to do a little more today. I Sorted the connecting rods, added bufferbeam overlay and buffers (yes I know that they are only white metal but I don't have any in brass). I don't think that I will have time for any more before Scaleforum North so here is a photo of todays progress,

Still needs the front steps but that is for another day.

Why do you never spot things like the front driver is not properly seated on the track before taking the photo?????

post-6751-0-39687900-1396897284_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

• Like 10

Arthur, the B15 is looking seriously nice.  I am having to resist temptation. I think you may have cornered the NER loco market quite successfully now! As you have mentioned the standardisation of parts means the number of locos seems to be expanding at an easier rate. The build above shows what an attractive loco and outline they give. 

I wonder when the supply of NER coaches will become as mainstream as D&S once was.  As the locos are now easily come by from Arthur the balance of the trains are now becoming the challenge!

• RMweb Premium

Arthur, the B15 is looking seriously nice.  I am having to resist temptation. I think you may have cornered the NER loco market quite successfully now! As you have mentioned the standardisation of parts means the number of locos seems to be expanding at an easier rate. The build above shows what an attractive loco and outline they give. 

I wonder when the supply of NER coaches will become as mainstream as D&S once was.  As the locos are now easily come by from Arthur the balance of the trains are now becoming the challenge!

Doug

The coaches are not forgotten but the breakdown of body and underframe has still to be fully resolved. Most would prefer the body to simply lift off the floor but that means a long length of unsupported lower side which, being half etched, is seriously weak. My earlier versions gave a very solid body but all furnishings had to be done from the top which meant a removable roof. There must be a compromise somewhere.

ArthurK

Your absolutely right Arthur the D&S coaches are very thin on the lower sides and due to copy right etc the design deficiencies of all those years ago need to resolved with any new kits comming on the market. Danny P did / still does lovely kits of interesting proto types. The difficulty is the breadth of his range and the availability currently. From my side of the earth I do not have access to easy cheque payments for kits... with the banks charging fees on fees etc it makes purchasing very very difficult. Using paypal and the internet makes the whole process quick and relatively painless (getting less so as the Aussie dollar is currently rising against all comers at the moment) but this is also dependant on the other party having the facility also. 

The increasing availabilty and also the interest in specific pre grouping areas such as the NER really has increased with the RTR manufacturers making them more main stream. This can only be good for you Arthur as the more interesting and different classes open up the "building" modeller to look further afield to find areas of interest that the RTR manufacturers are unlikely to attack. 

As I have said before Arthur I would like a couple of your kits but I can't decide at the moment. 

Absolutely stunning Arthur. I'll be having one fore sure along with the D20 when it comes out.

Sadly I won't be at S4N now. Will PM you regarding the smoke box doors we spoke about.