Modelzone Limited Editions

darren chpamn

Judging by the dates on the pictures of the prototypes, I presume it would be safe to assume that none of the three could actually have appeared together at the same time when marked as such.

Judging by the variety of vans that got the VVV coding, was this just a catch-all coding for any van that doesn't fall into other categories? Was there any difference to vans that were branded 'VAN' and 'VANFIT'?

Judging by the variety of vans that got the VVV coding, was this just a catch-all coding for any van that doesn't fall into other categories? Was there any difference to vans that were branded 'VAN' and 'VANFIT'?

It was intended as a catchall, yes, for any 12T van that wasnt a Vanwide, Palvan, fruit, banana, fish, Shock or whatever. Not sure what you mean by saying a variety of vans got the code though? - AFAIK only BR standards were ever seen carrying it. Although there were vans around to pre-BR designs when the codes were first allocated on paper, in practice it's unlikely that any survived long enough to carry VVV.

Being something of a student of minor lettering variations, the other question is interesting. In theory, and taking the precedent set by other codes like MIN/MINFIT or PIPE/PIPEFIT, a plain VAN would be unfitted. Again in practice though, by the time the 1964 lettering style was established, there'd be very few unfitted merchandise vans left and though I've never seen any written confirmation of this, I suspect the 'FIT' bit was quietly dropped on later repaints as there was no longer any need for differentiation. Similarly you can see wagons coded HIGH that are obviously fitted, although the permutations of code on that class of wagon are something else againhuh.gif

Hi ..., Pennine MC ...,

Regarding weathering, I have to admit it did seem a little light. That said, I may be tempted to get another one, with the hope it would be a little more heavy... so there's hope yet!! :D

Yeah, the point I was making was that it'd be better with nonesmile.gif It's not even how a brakevan would weather...

noticed that modelzone birmingham had the ltd ed mainline 09 on sale for £39.99 earlier.

Popped into Modelzone's Hull branch today and they too have the greatly reduced 09's in stock :D

Think it would have been rude not to get one!

Prototype of OE72413 here http://gallery6801.f.../p52604781.html

NCB 29 at http://gallery6801.f.../p52604734.html

NCB 100 at http://gallery6801.f.../p52604769.html And accurate!

Paul Bartlett

Thanks Paul- I picked a set of the NCB wagons up a couple of weeks ago, and had been wondering if they'd done them in 'generic' NCB colourschemes, or reproduced the liveries of actual vehicles

Popped into Modelzone's Hull branch today and they too have the greatly reduced 09's in stock :D

Think it would have been rude not to get one!

Absolutely, I got the last one from the Newcastle shop today.

Quite coincidentally I note from the current Rail Express that the original, after languishing at Toton in unservicable and shabby condition since whenever, has been sold to HNRC, who are building up a small fleet of the beasties for some as yet undisclosed industrial contract which has specified the use of Class 09s.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 47107

The RTC class 24 seems an odd choice as it will duplicate the previous model made for Rail Express a few years ago, unless there are some detail differences that can be included.

• RMweb Premium

The RTC class 24 seems an odd choice as it will duplicate the previous model made for Rail Express a few years ago, unless there are some detail differences that can be included.

I believe you will find this is an 'N' gauge one, the Rail Express version was 'OO' gauge.

Guest 47107

I believe you will find this is an 'N' gauge one, the Rail Express version was 'OO' gauge.

I originally thought it was the 'n' gauge model but having read the page closely, you will see the top of page clearly states 'Latest OO limited editions'. Yes, it will be the latest version with lights but it will still be very similar to the Rail Express model.

always wanted a 24 in research, and will be pre-ordering one!! and as for the rail express limited one, isnt there a time fame, 5 years?? where the company i.e. rail express have exclusive rights for, after that its fair game and can be re-released? a bit like modelzones/Bachmann TPO coach??

Guest 47107

always wanted a 24 in research, and will be pre-ordering one!! and as for the rail express limited one, isnt there a time fame, 5 years?? where the company i.e. rail express have exclusive rights for, after that its fair game and can be re-released? a bit like modelzones/Bachmann TPO coach??

It was always made clear with the TPO and with the Rail Express 37's that the tooling would become part of Bachmann's standard range in future years. Although the TPO's in this years catologue look the same they will no doubt have different running numbers, as with the 37's, from the limited edition models. What we are looking at here is a direct copy of a previous limited edition paint scheme. Most limited editions are advertised as being one off's, therefore making them collectable, remember the huge outcry a couple of years ago when Bachmann released their Freightliner/Shanks 66 shortly after the Kernow model. While I have no doubt that many people will welcome the release of this model (with all it's improvements) there will be a number of people who own the original Rail Express model who will feel more than a little annoyed that their once highly collectable (and valuable) model has now lost its exclusivity.

Already owning a limited edition!?! RTC Class 24 I am somewhat disappointed to see another released. Whilst I bought one as a model and not as an investment I would never have paid the price I did if I'd known a new release would be coming out. Fingers well and truly burnt!

On a positive note, the RTC coach and the Pullmam set have been ordered.

Hope to get me hands on the Mark 1 BG Coach ‘Lab 23’ (975547) before they sell out I always fail to get one , I also like to get the Southern Railway N Class No. 1860 SR Black with ‘Sunshine Lettering’ But I dont know much about the N Class did they serve Kent at all?? :blink:

Cheers

James

I must admit I only ever buy "limited editions" if they fit in with my needs, never as an investment. If a livery is produced and I need it for my layout I'm interested regardless of any notional value some future anally retentive collector would give if it was unused, in a dust free box, from a smoke free home and free of the shopkeepers DNA traces.

For me a model is only worth what I will pay for it to satisfy my modelling requirements, I refuse to pay some "collectors" (perhaps more correctly "speculators") over inflated prices for stuff, I'd rather work round the lack of a particular model than add fuel to hyper-inflationary bidding on a speculator's model. It's not like anything in railway modelling is essential after all, nor do my future living standards depend on my limited edition investment appreciating in value.

I am pleased to see the RTC 24 coming may have to get one.

I seem to recall that Bachmann had a policy of no Ltd edition would re-appear as an exact copy in the standard range - therefore the Shanks 66 was covered by the standard release having sound whereas the Ltd edition did not. Perhaps this one will have some difference to the other or it may be covered by the fact that Bachmann has re-tooled the chassis and fitted lights etc. since the first one.

• RMweb Gold

I am pleased to see the RTC 24 coming may have to get one.

I seem to recall that Bachmann had a policy of no Ltd edition would re-appear as an exact copy in the standard range - therefore the Shanks 66 was covered by the standard release having sound whereas the Ltd edition did not. Perhaps this one will have some difference to the other or it may be covered by the fact that Bachmann has re-tooled the chassis and fitted lights etc. since the first one.

I'm not sure that the owners of the Model Rail version will be placated by knowing that their limited edition maintains its status only by virtue of its inferiority but I take your point.

I do like the BG though and I will be visiting for a purchase later today ;)

I also like to get the Southern Railway N Class No. 1860 SR Black with ‘Sunshine Lettering’ But I dont know much about the N Class did they serve Kent at all?? :blink:

Cheers

James

'N's were definitely seen in Kent- just pulled 'Kent Coast Heyday' off the bookshelf, and a quick flick through the book finds quite a few examples- An appendix in the book lists the locos seen on shed at Ashford Works, Ashford shed and Tonbridge on 27 April 1954, and includes a number of Ns:

Ashford Works: 31413; 31841; 31872; 31873

Ashford shed: 31401; 31402

Tonbridge: 31407; 31862

Archived