Modelzone Limited Editions

darren chpamn

Guest baldrick25

Modelzone Birmingham have none left . They have every one allocated to them pre-sold, I was told this afternoon.

Modelzone Birmingham have none left . They have every one allocated to them pre-sold, I was told this afternoon.

That's unfortunate. I tried to pre-order but missed out. On the off chance i called my local store today and they had four come in that hadn't been reserved and were for general sale!

It's a shame that Modelzone haven't upped the number made of the RTC coaches given how well they sell (are these limited runs of 500, 750, 1000 or some other number does anyone know?) - they seem to sell out increasingly quickly with the BG pretty much all sold on pre-orders. Unfortunately I suspect that a good few of those sold were to a few individuals who will be feeding them onto Ebay at extortionate prices over the coming months.

When is a limited edition a limited edition? Runs of 1000+ sound like normal production for the likes of Dapol etc. See also the TPOs....soon to be available. Guess one of the only real gems out there is the sealed beam, rebuilt TMC Peaks which are still unique and sought after?!

I do not understand why Modelzone just dont limit to one per customer, this would stop people from re-selling. When i went to buy one off the shelf I could have bought all four that weren't reserved.

In which case I'd simply take some mates or family members with me, go in on consecutive days, or three times on the same day.

I have now managed to get hold of my RTC coach today, however it was a real struggle as my order had not been processed again even although it was placed at the start of May..

I don't know whether to order on line or see them in the shop for a reliable service.

For such a large organization this preordering of items seems a bit chaotic.

As I am writing this I have had a thought that this has happened before and I have found similar posts on the old RMweb forum.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43645&start=25

When is a limited edition a limited edition? Runs of 1000+ sound like normal production for the likes of Dapol etc. See also the TPOs....soon to be available. Guess one of the only real gems out there is the sealed beam, rebuilt TMC Peaks which are still unique and sought after?!

But are they Ltd editions or are they Modelzone Exclusives?

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I've no idea what Bachmann considers as a standard production run of a model, and presumably it varies anyway, but I always understood that Limited Editions produced for retailers by Bachmann could be of whatever quantity the retailer wanted (presumably subject to being multples of 504 or 512 depending on the size of the box). For example, didn't Modelzone have different quantities produced for the various TPOs? The main difference between these L/Es and a standard model being that the financial risk is with the retailer rather than Bachmann.

There's no obvious solution to the problem of ebay profiteers. Modelzone not unreasonably will want to sell out, so it is not really in its interests to limit models to one per customer. And anyway as CHARD says, there are easy ways round this anyway. I am generally reluctant to pre-order because I like to see a model first in case there are errors I can't live with or have the skills to correct. But I accept this may mean I miss out. If you really want a particular L/E model, these days the only safe bet is to pre-order.

At least by producing L/Es we get models that might otherwise never see the light of day as a standard release.

In which case I'd simply take some mates or family members with me, go in on consecutive days, or three times on the same day.

Thats assuming there are any available in the shops! What should really happen is that these are ONLY sold online!

Thats assuming there are any available in the shops! What should really happen is that these are ONLY sold online!

Absolutely not ! This would disadvantage those without access to the Internet, or those who, like brushman47544, quite reasonably want to see a model before buying it. I have not had any problem so far getting Modelzone Exclusives from their Glasgow or Silverburn shops.

When I asked earlier this week at the Manchester Deansgate branch, I was told that all of the BGs they received were sold on pre-order. So many had been pre-ordered that they were unable to actually meet all of them as they were sent too few. He did say that some people had been trying to order ten or more. However, they had rationed the models out so that priority was given to getting one per customer rather than letting a couple of individuals stock up then sell them on.

No opportunity to see one in the flesh before buying. I too, like others have posted, feel wary of buying something 'sight unseen' unless it is something I desperately want. I only got the Pullman coach in RTC when that came and went because the Metrocentre store had one tucked to the back of their display cabinet forgotten about. The VBA, on the other hand, seemed to linger for a while (the Ebay sellers didn't like that one?)

• RMweb Premium

The Modelzone pre-order arrangements do seem to be a bit hit and miss. I assume if you pre-order from their website, then you will get one (them?) because those pre-orders will be handled centrally. But it does appear as though the numbers of pre-orders made at individual shops are not somehow collated and then pre-allocated centrally before unallocated models are sent out. This does seem rather unfair - if you pick the wrong shop to pre-order from, you could miss out whilst other shops have unallocated models on their shelves.

I have to say that when I do want a Modelzone limited edition, I usually order through The Signal Box because they have so far always had one available. Or perhaps I've just been lucky...

Hope the bulk buyers get well and truely stung in the long run, its noticeable that the ones on ebay are largely being bid on by the same individuals and given that most Modelzone limited editions sit on the shop shelves for some time (my local store still has one of the TPOs in the display case) then once the panic rush has gone auction values may well plummet.

Archived