Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

Gate stock and O2's regularly worked the Portland Branch and there are four illustrations of them in Back Track, March 2018 along with others in a fascinating (Editor's words) article on the Isle of Portland, its stone and five railways.

And, I should declare an interest as the author.

• Like 3

Well I'm happy with my "Gate stock" in BR(SR) Crimson. For my layout "Basingstoke 1958-67" (87ft x 24ft) which you can see in the category "Modelling real locations" elsewhere on RMweb.

However I have already made a number of "mods" to my Set as seen in the accompanying pictures.

attachicon.gifGate stock bogies (01).JPG

Above: First minor issue I found was that the footboards are too wide, and likely to catch the platform ramps on the ends of my platforms. The bogie on the left is "as supplied" while that on the right is after I narrowed them down by 2mm. 

attachicon.gifGate stock cab (04).JPG

Above: Next minor issue was the cab front accessories provided. I replaced the vacuum and steam heat hoses with ones a little thicker, and added a proper working screw link coupling purely for visual purposes as my fleet is normally Kadee fitted.

attachicon.gifGate stock interior (03).JPG

Above: Next step was to improve the internal colouring and the method of seat installation. The floors were sprayed Halfords Matt black and the seating given a more reddish brown "moquette" typical of the 1950's. (A before and after comparison). 

attachicon.gifGate stock interior (04).JPG

Above: The problem of the seating interior mounting method which has protruding screws in little mounting towers, was abolished and the seating glued to the chassis, as I could find no reason for them to be parted in the future. This did require a piece of plasticard under one end of the seating as there is central recess in the chassis floor partially revealed in this shot. As if a thin metal weight had been envisaged, but not fitted.  

attachicon.gifGate stock populace (04).JPG

Above: As the vehicles are "opens" and look rather bare internally I thought I should shove a few HO scale passengers inside, HO because you don't need to chop off their feet to fit them.  Note also that the incorrect bench seat provided at the inner end of the DVT (lower vehicle in picture) has had the centre removed so that passengers can now get at the ganyway connection !!  

attachicon.gifGate set 383 (02).JPG

Above: The set re-assembled, which also shows the closed up gap between vehicles pssible on my layout as I have minimum radius curves of 5ft. 

My impression of the model overall, is that it is very good. The minor niggles I would say are minor. And to be fair to "DJ Models" I think this is the first time they have attempted real period coaching stock, with all the awkward potential detail pitfalls this presents. I think they should be congratulated for taking the plunge with such an unusual prototype, as we are not yet blessed with many RTR period coaching stock types. Although Southern modellers seem to be doing better than anyone else so fa

Simple but impressive.  What would be the relevant colours for the SR olive green versuion, i.e. with 1st and 3rd class areas?

Well I'm happy with my "Gate stock" in BR(SR) Crimson. For my layout "Basingstoke 1958-67" (87ft x 24ft) which you can see in the category "Modelling real locations" elsewhere on RMweb.

However I have already made a number of "mods" to my Set as seen in the accompanying pictures.

attachicon.gifGate stock bogies (01).JPG

Above: First minor issue I found was that the footboards are too wide, and likely to catch the platform ramps on the ends of my platforms. The bogie on the left is "as supplied" while that on the right is after I narrowed them down by 2mm. 

attachicon.gifGate stock cab (04).JPG

Above: Next minor issue was the cab front accessories provided. I replaced the vacuum and steam heat hoses with ones a little thicker, and added a proper working screw link coupling purely for visual purposes as my fleet is normally Kadee fitted.

attachicon.gifGate stock interior (03).JPG

Above: Next step was to improve the internal colouring and the method of seat installation. The floors were sprayed Halfords Matt black and the seating given a more reddish brown "moquette" typical of the 1950's. (A before and after comparison). 

attachicon.gifGate stock interior (04).JPG

Above: The problem of the seating interior mounting method which has protruding screws in little mounting towers, was abolished and the seating glued to the chassis, as I could find no reason for them to be parted in the future. This did require a piece of plasticard under one end of the seating as there is central recess in the chassis floor partially revealed in this shot. As if a thin metal weight had been envisaged, but not fitted.  

attachicon.gifGate stock populace (04).JPG

Above: As the vehicles are "opens" and look rather bare internally I thought I should shove a few HO scale passengers inside, HO because you don't need to chop off their feet to fit them.  Note also that the incorrect bench seat provided at the inner end of the DVT (lower vehicle in picture) has had the centre removed so that passengers can now get at the ganyway connection !!  

attachicon.gifGate set 383 (02).JPG

Above: The set re-assembled, which also shows the closed up gap between vehicles pssible on my layout as I have minimum radius curves of 5ft. 

My impression of the model overall, is that it is very good. The minor niggles I would say are minor. And to be fair to "DJ Models" I think this is the first time they have attempted real period coaching stock, with all the awkward potential detail pitfalls this presents. I think they should be congratulated for taking the plunge with such an unusual prototype, as we are not yet blessed with many RTR period coaching stock types. Although Southern modellers seem to be doing better than anyone else so far.

Simple but impressive.  What would be the relevant colours for the SR olive green versuion, i.e. with 1st and 3rd class areas?

For anyone wondering. In 'A illustrated history of Southern Push-pull stock' by Mike King, there are a few photos of the LSWR gate stock, one of which shows set 374 (In 1948, I think, without having it to hand) with the Maunsell Pattern wood insert wheels.

This means they were kept up until nationalization at least, which may be of use to someone (was to me)

• RMweb Gold

For anyone wondering. In 'A illustrated history of Southern Push-pull stock' by Mike King, there are a few photos of the LSWR gate stock, one of which shows set 374 (In 1948, I think, without having it to hand) with the Maunsell Pattern wood insert wheels.

This means they were kept up until nationalization at least, which may be of use to someone (was to me)

If that's Plate 43, and you are convinced of that, your copy must have clearer reproduction than mine.

I initially thought it showed Mansell wheels too, but the more I look at it the less certain I become.

I want my own pair to represent the coaches as running late in their careers. I've left my crimson Set 374 untouched as yet, but have fitted "steel" wheels to my green Set 373.

Anyone contemplating a wheel change on these models should note that the axles are shorter than usual and neither Gibsons or Romford/Markits are a straight swap. 

John

Edit: I note from a later post that AG wheels are available on shorter axles to suit. 24.5mm against the usual 26mm.  

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Anyone contemplating a wheel change on these models should note that the axles are shorter than usual and neither Gibsons or Romford/Markits are a straight swap. 

Just to report that my SR Malachite Set 373 has been fitted with the replacement Alan Gibson 14mm coach wheels on a 24.5mm axles as requested from Colin. 

The wheel sets fit perfectly and improve the appearance no end. They also run very nicely.

I changed my wheel sets over as above having asked Colin at Alan Gibson to use 24.5mm axles as a special request.

• RMweb Gold

I changed my wheel sets over as above having asked Colin at Alan Gibson to use 24.5mm axles as a special request.

Wish I'd known of that possibility sooner!

My green set now has AG wheels on standard axles following a load of work with my "Ed's Tool".

Thanks for saving me having to do the same again when I get to the crimson pair.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 3 months later...

I have just discovered that the Maunsell green version of these has sold out, after having been at "more than 10 available" for many months (and most recently at that level at the end of May this year). I had not realised that they would sell out so fast, especially given the unavailability of the matching O2 (perhaps people were buying them to use with Adams radial tanks?), and I did not want to rush to buy them before I needed them. This was clearly a serious error on my part.

I have just discovered that the Maunsell green version of these has sold out, after having been at "more than 10 available" for many months (and most recently at that level at the end of May this year). I had not realised that they would sell out so fast, especially given the unavailability of the matching O2 (perhaps people were buying them to use with Adams radial tanks?), and I did not want to rush to buy them before I needed them. This was clearly a serious error on my part.

I made the same mistake with the Maunsell Green 02, in the end managed to get a return from Dave at Warley last year.

I think once they reach less than 10 all the people who perhaps like you had waited all dive in.

Watch out though in case they find any, that happened once with the 02 but I saw the Facebook message too late.

I made the same mistake with the Maunsell Green 02, in the end managed to get a return from Dave at Warley last year.

I think once they reach less than 10 all the people who perhaps like you had waited all dive in.

Watch out though in case they find any, that happened once with the 02 but I saw the Facebook message too late.

Thank you - may I ask where I should be watching?

• RMweb Premium

If Kernow MRC finds something lying in a corner of the stock room it is offered via their Facebook feed. There have been a few such instances over the years where just a single item turns up. And it sells within minutes.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that. I have FB Purity installed on my browser, so I only see Facebook posts from friends.

I wonder whether it might be worthwhile buying a set in a different livery and having it professionally repainted?

Don’t forget Kernow made alterations to the basic coaches according to era. Those currently available may not have correct details for the Maunsell green era.

Thank you for that - do you happen to know what the detail differences are between the Maunsell green and the malachite green still available?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the Maunsell green, SR malachite and BR red are all the same physically.  The BR green one of set 373 is different because it represents 373 late in life when some of the panelling had been plated over and the lower side beading had been lost. 

Chris KT

• Like 1

Probably worth posting here in case anyone else decides they want to repaint their Malachite set of 373 into a different shade (of malachite)

After speaking with Fox Transfers, they now produce the 'THIRD' writing in sunshine style, which isn't currently available anywhere else - Click here

The usual disclaimer - no connection other than as a satisfied customer etc.

Anyone know how many coaches carried 'THIRD' in this style ? - the number '3' was the norm, of course.

Anyway, while Fox are working on Southern things, maybe they'll remember I suggested they might do 'COVCAR' a while ago .... not to mention correct window labelling for all periods other than mid 'thirties ??!? 

I have managed to order a set of these, much to my relief: I posted a message on Kenrow's Facebook page to the effect that I regretted not ordering one while they were in stock, and had a reply to the effect that they might have a sample used at an exhibition somewhere. Shortly afterwards, I was contacted via private message on this forum by a kind member who noted that a further set had been advertised for sale, which I promptly ordered this afternoon. I also note that Kenrow had replied to my Facebook comment (which I had not seen as I was busy with work) stating that they had managed to find one more.

I should therefore like to express my gratitude both to the kind member who sent me the private message and also to the Kenrow model shop itself for such helpful service.

• Like 3

Kernow has been excellent to deal with every time I've ordered something from there. The staff are very prompt communicators and and very friendly.

Anyone know how many coaches carried 'THIRD' in this style ? - the number '3' was the norm, of course.

Anyway, while Fox are working on Southern things, maybe they'll remember I suggested they might do 'COVCAR' a while ago .... not to mention correct window labelling for all periods other than mid 'thirties ??!? 

I'm not sure what else carried it, i'm sure there will be something though. from my communication with Fox, it was easy to produce these, as they are effectively the same as the Maunsell 'THIRD' but in sunshine style. It might be worth messaging them again to ask. I found them to be very responsive!

• 1 year later...

Bill Faulkner from the Wimborne Railway Society that I belong to has converted his LSWR pull push gate stock set into a brown and salmon pink LSWR set. It looks splendid on the Kernow web site at http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p4/94/Customer-Layouts. One of the pictures shows it running on a Wimborne Railway Society layout.

Edited by Robin Brasher
Altered web address
  • Like 1

Sorry if link did not work. Please try http://www.kernowmodelrailwaycentre.com/pg/94/Customer-Layouts.

Unfortunately the link is still not working. I suggest that you type in the address on our search box and the picture of the modified LSWR gate stock coach is the last entry.

Edited by Robin Brasher
Trying to get link to Kernow.