Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

• RMweb Gold

Using Hornby's close couplings on Bachmann Mark 1 stock also has that problem. However, I found that if I turned the bogies to force the coupling mechanisms outwards, I could couple two coaches (holding them at the appropriate angle in relation to each other)., Returning them to the straight ahead position after coupling up resulted in those corridor connections touching nicely.

On the Bachmann coaches I rub down the corridor ends a bit, which seems to do the trick.

Turning the coaches unfortunately isn't an option if you are putting them on a straight fiddle yard track with adjacent roads occupied.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

These coaches pre-date the adoption of buckeye couplers by the SR by over two decades, so no, they wouldn't have been fitted to the prototype. 

I'll probably replace the gangways eventually, enabling me to close up the spacing and have the buffers touching, but that's a job for when I haven't much else on my plate. While I have them opened-up to do that, I'll add a few passengers to the interiors.

John

I had a feeling that they would. I also recall reading that the buckeye couplings were only fitted to express passenger stock - probably should've thought about that.

I'll have to have a play around with screw link coupling, although the corridor connections will probably make it difficult for repeated coupling/uncoupling. I would be very interested in your go at replacing the corridor connections.

Edited by Jack P

• RMweb Gold

I had a feeling that they would. I also recall reading that the buckeye couplings were only fitted to express passenger stock - probably should've thought about that.

I'll have to have a play around with screw link coupling, although the corridor connections will probably make it difficult for repeated coupling/uncoupling. I would be very interested in your go at replacing the corridor connections.

I think it'll be a while before I get round to the gangways - I think I have a set of Slater's brass/paper GWR scissors ones somewhere which might suit, but I need to find them (!) and sort out the figures etc. needed for the interiors as I only want to dismantle these coaches once. 

I plan to stick with the inverted Hornby couplers in the CCUs as they aren't too obvious under the gangways. Hopefully with compressible gangways I'll be able to substitute Rocos for them and get the buffers (almost) touching.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Using Hornby's close couplings on Bachmann Mark 1 stock also has that problem. However, I found that if I turned the bogies to force the coupling mechanisms outwards, I could couple two coaches (holding them at the appropriate angle in relation to each other)., Returning them to the straight ahead position after coupling up resulted in those corridor connections touching nicely.

Had exactly the same problem, a few days ago I came up with this solution.

Read some where that you need about 1mm space between the coaches for reliable coupling.

The Hornby couplings have up to 0.5mm back & forth play in the NEM pocket.

I superglued a piece of 20 thou plastic to the coupling which reduced the play to 0mm(near enough).

The couplings go into the NEM pocket just enough for the tab on the forked end to engage properly.

Now the couplings stick out about as far as they can & they couple easily most of the time.

When coupled the gap between the buffers is minimal.

post-28417-0-21977900-1512020524_thumb.jpg

post-28417-0-34173400-1512020492_thumb.jpg

When my gate stock arrive, very soon I hope, I was going to use the solid bar coupling but I now will try the modified Hornby couplings.

John

• Like 2

I purchased the BR(S) green Gate set at Warley on Saturday. I must say that I am reasonably

happy with it, despite a list of small faults that have been identified by others.

For the money one may have expected them to have at least equalled Bachmann's Birdcages

or Hornby's LSW rebuilds in respect of accuracy.

But on the plus side modellers of the Southern now have three pre- grouping types to choose from,

even if some of the prototypes post date the grouping by later life modifications.

post-24481-0-23417500-1512050952_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a few pictures of my BR Crimson set on Camel Quay. All weathered, passengers installed and attached to O2 30182 ready for the Manchester MRS show this weekend.

post-11105-0-77440000-1512053030_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-31637400-1512053043_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-84964300-1512053055_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-46677200-1512053069_thumb.jpg

If your going to the show do pop by and say hello.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Had exactly the same problem, a few days ago I came up with this solution.

Read some where that you need about 1mm space between the coaches for reliable coupling.

The Hornby couplings have up to 0.5mm back & forth play in the NEM pocket.

I superglued a piece of 20 thou plastic to the coupling which reduced the play to 0mm(near enough).

The couplings go into the NEM pocket just enough for the tab on the forked end to engage properly.

Now the couplings stick out about as far as they can & they couple easily most of the time.

When coupled the gap between the buffers is minimal.

attachicon.gifIMG_3374.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3375.JPG

When my gate stock arrive, very soon I hope, I was going to use the solid bar coupling but I now will try the modified Hornby couplings.

John

Thanks, another useful mod to make layout life easier. Interesting that you didn't need to file a bit off the back of the pocket to allow the clip to engage.

Regards

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Really pleased with my SR Malachite set. Dave and Kernow have done a great job in producing these coaches. Looking forwards to the LSWR Road Van now.

Out of interest any idea which way the steam heat and vacuum pipes go?

When I come to weather my set they'll be given the T-Cut and Kleer treatment to give the paintwork a nice lustre.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Thanks, another useful mod to make layout life easier. Interesting that you didn't need to file a bit off the back of the pocket to allow the clip to engage.

Regards

John

This worked with the Bachmann coaches because the length of the Bachmann NEM pocket allowed that bit of play, if the gate stock NEM pocket is longer,(with less play) than you may have to trim the back of the NEM pocket

John

• RMweb Gold

This worked with the Bachmann coaches because the length of the Bachmann NEM pocket allowed that bit of play, if the gate stock NEM pocket is longer,(with less play) than you may have to trim the back of the NEM pocket

John

It is only necessary/beneficial on Bachmann coaches so far as I can make out.

Using unaltered Hornby couplers on my Gate Set, I didn't need to adjust anything and the clips engage fully onto the rear of the pocket.

The coaches couple leaving a 1mm gap between the gangways which I'm quite OK with.

It seems the amount of leeway can vary a little as another contributor reports successfully using one Hornby coupler and one Roco, which I couldn't make work on my set.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

It is only necessary/beneficial on Bachmann coaches so far as I can make out.                        ​I have to agree with you on this one now that I have my gate set  

Using unaltered Hornby couplers on my Gate Set, I didn't need to adjust anything and the clips engage fully onto the rear of the pocket.​           Worked for me also

The coaches couple leaving a 1mm gap between the gangways which I'm quite OK with.              Me too

It seems the amount of leeway can vary a little as another contributor reports successfully using one Hornby coupler and one Roco, which I couldn't make work on my set.               Didn't try this one as I am happy with 2 Hornby couplings

John

Found my gate set on the doorstep about 2 hrs ago

Added some comments to your post

Between the first coach & a Kernow O2 loco I used Fleischmann couplings, it leaves a gap between the buffers of about 4mm which is not fantastic but I can live with for now.

Has a quick run on the part of my layout which has Shinaharo code 70 track, including duel gauge points & they ran fine

John

• RMweb Gold

Just a short addendum to the slightly off-topic diversion into adapting Hornby R8220 couplers for use on rakes of Bachmann Mk.1 coaches.

The Bachmann CCU mouldings are not 100% consistent. I have just done the conversion on a set of 6 and on two CCU's (not on the same coach) 20 thou of packing wasn't enough to avoid the need for "wiggling" when coupling up. I spotted which because, in the two links in question, I could feel that couplers with 20 thou of packing still had a bit of play Fortunately, with 30 thou of packing, the couplers clipped in firmly. The coaches now couple readily in any order.

John

My BR green set arrived this morning, a quick inspection showed nothing amiss, but one wheelset has a pronounced wobble and will probably have to be replaced. the axles appear to be plastic, never really a good idea to get good running. Steel axles are far better. Otherwise a nicely produced pair of coaches. Do I really care that a couple of underframe details might be wrong? not really, it's the overall appearance that counts. Well done Kernow.

• Like 2

Mine arrived about an hour ago. Not been out on the layout yet. My only niggle is the wheels. This has probably been mentioned before, but I'm not going to wade through 33 pages to find it, the original CAD showed Mansell wheels and with so much wheel on display, it really shows up. I have ordered some replacements from Colin at Alan Gibson Workshop. Not tried the coupling bars yet, but will probably use Keen Systems buckeyes. Not prototypical, but between coaches it won't show. They are crying out for bodies inside them, so it's off to the railway room to find some.

Oh, FWIW, mine may be transfered to the Isle of Wight for post 1953 West wight services :sungum:

• Like 1

Following the trend, who's going to do LBSCR stock do we think?  :jester:

By carefully choosing prototypes there are a few LBSC coach types that weren't too heavily

modified in their existence, and could carry quite a few liveries in model form.

Perhaps the obvious choice would be a mainland push-pull set. The one problem with ordinary

steam hauled LBSC stock is that BR liveries could only be found on the Isle of Wight.

Quick question on dismantling.

How is it done?

EDIT:- After reading comments on here, I decided to take a wheelset out and measure it, 24.9mm, 0.4mm longer than standard H0 and 1.1mm shorter than standard 00. So before I take out 'the tool' to open than axleboxes up to take Gibson wheels, I decided to tone them down a bit to see what that would look like.

post-15-0-69460900-1512284907_thumb.jpg

Still stand out somewhat, but will look better when the underframe is weathered.

But in doing the wheels, I found this,

post-15-0-53463400-1512284938_thumb.jpg

where the plastic hasn't filled out the mould fully. An easy repair, but I am surprised that this got through QC when it is so close to the bogie that would have been attached.

So, fix or return?

Edited by JZ

Quick question on dismantling.

How is it done?

EDIT:- After reading comments on here, I decided to take a wheelset out and measure it, 24.9mm, 0.4mm longer than standard H0 and 1.1mm shorter than standard 00. So before I take out 'the tool' to open than axleboxes up to take Gibson wheels, I decided to tone them down a bit to see what that would look like.

attachicon.gif20171203_065610_resized.jpg

Still stand out somewhat, but will look better when the underframe is weathered.

But in doing the wheels, I found this,

attachicon.gif20171203_065603_resized.jpg

where the plastic hasn't filled out the mould fully. An easy repair, but I am surprised that this got through QC when it is so close to the bogie that would have been attached.

So, fix or return?

I think it should be an easy fix, but I do agree on the note that quality control didn't notice this error. I thought they'd be better than that...

Some pictures of the Kernow model of Set 373 on Corfe Viaduct on the Swanage Branch. It is a lovely model and with the large windows you can see the interior detail clearly. I like the contrast in colour between the seats and the cream end walls. There is a picture of the prototype at Swanage station in summer 1960 hauled by M7 30057 so it is nice to be able to operate an authentic train from ready to run items. I posted a picture of the prototype in post 225 in 2015. Set 373 was built in 1914 and was the last surviving LSWR gate stock push pull set. It was broken up in November 1960. As the prototype was probably in a heavily varnished malachite green livery I have not invested in the Southern malachite green version and I will be using this model to represent it.

post-17621-0-10520000-1512376985_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-55410900-1512377089_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-55713100-1512377140_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-54833800-1512377188_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Much as I was delighted to receive my BR set, 373, I decided to return it. I had changed my order prior to dispatch from 373 in green to 363 in maroon. The reason being the images I had seen of the recessed rivets.

373 arrived and I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt.

However, under the layout lighting, the dimples really stood out and I just couldn't live with it.

Kernow were extremly gracious and I now have a maroon set, swapped within the week, postage refunded to boot.

A real shame.

I am now looking forward to weathering them accordingly.

Rob.

• Like 1