Gaugemaster Prodigy Express

oggy1953

Sorry if this is on here already, but if it is i couldn't find it. Does any one know the limitations of the Express to the Advance ? Their website doesn't give much away, but it certainly is priced good if it comes close to the advance. Regards Peter

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if this is on here already, but if it is i couldn't find it. Does any one know the limitations of the Express to the Advance ? Their website doesn't give much away, but it certainly is priced good if it comes close to the advance. Regards Peter

Very basically you can't operate DCC accessories from the handset, which is a simpler version of the PA2 one, and the base unit output is 1.5amp against 3.5amp of the PA2.

The decoder programming features are I believe the same. Program Track/Main ops/readback etc.

You can always add a PA2 handset and get all the features at a later stage, and also add a booster if you need more power.

To my mind considering these points your might just as well get a PA2 in the first place, and especially if at some stage you want to control points etc via DCC, but the Express is a much cheaper option at the outset if all you want to do is control/program locos on DCC.

The 1.5amp output seems small but is more than enough for running a few (3 or 4) N or OO locos if they aren't sound equipped. Mine aren't so I'm not quite sure of the current drain from these. (Three of my N gauge running together use about 250mA).

Izzy

The 1.5amp output seems small but is more than enough for running a few (3 or 4) N or OO locos if they aren't sound equipped. Mine aren't so I'm not quite sure of the current drain from these. (Three of my N gauge running together use about 250mA).

Izzy

Thanks for your reply, The bit above is the bit that worries me slightly. I am building a small layout, but would want 4 or 5 sound chip loco's ticking over at the same time, although they wouldn't all be moving at once. I have a 'Hornby Select' at the moment which does this BUT it is too basic. I have seen the 'Advanced' working at our club running sessions and i'm impressed, however cost is very important as i am not working now and the 'Express' looked a good option.

Thanks Ron Ron Ron as well, I will look that up. Thanks Guys..Regards Peter..

As an owner of a MRC Prodigy Express (among other DCC systems), I would suggest looking elsewhere. I have a few locos with Lenz Silver Minis in them that will not respond to the PE, although they run fine on my NCE Powercab, Atlasmaster (Lenz Compact), and Lenz Set 100, as well as on a friend's Digitrax system. It also seems seems to only sometimes trigger some Digitrax function-only decoders. I have observed enough other 'features' that I have relegated the PE to being my workbench system. It may be that MRC has improved the firmware in these since I bought mine (6 years ago?).

It is a pity since I do find the PE easy to use and I quite like the display and ergonomics of the MRC systems.

Adrian

Now you cannot call me an avid user of DCC, by any measure. But I purchased a s/h MRC Prodigy Express as a backup for my Wireless Dynamis following all the scare stories.

As an owner of a MRC Prodigy Express (among other DCC systems), I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Adrian

I have not experienced any problems with it. But of course I have no interest in Sound and a limit of 3 or 4 locos on track would be no issue. I do agree the handset is more comfortable to use - but these things are a bit subjective.

Damn, should have checked this topic yesterday, Back to £112.50 today. Never mind it may be on offer again. Always one for a bargain that price would have 'swung it'.

The offer was actually still on until 11.00 am today.

I thought posting the information might be useful for someone, but all I've succeeded in doing is making you disappointed. Sorry about that.

• 5 years later...

Why not consider Roco. I have Roco for my layout and recently purchased the Prodigy advance so as to familiarise myself with the system as it is used by the model railway club that I have recently joined.

I think that the Roco system beats the Gaugemaster system hands down. It does everything the prodigy advance will do plus quite a lot more. It is also cheaper. Expansion of the system ischeapandeasy to do. I am talking about the Multimaus. This hand set is very comfortable to use one handed. The rotary speed control has a central notchable stop position with anti clockwise for reverse and clockwise for forward. A glance at the knob will show you what speed you have set and what direction you have. The direction is also shown on the display. Loco addresses can be had in 5 digits as a mix of numbers and letters. Or in 2or 4 number choice. 9.999 in four numbers and 127 in two numbered. It,s possible to use the older Lokmausecontrollerasa slave and you can have two of them plugged in to the base station as well as the Multimaus. Add booster amplifiers and you can plug more into them. This can be found on. eBay at less than £50. Lokmause even cheaper. The lockmaus do not read the five digit address but the basic address of the decoder can be read. Programming can be done on the lokmause but why bother when it,s easier on the Multimaus. My layout is quite large and lends itself to be used by visiting guests in sections. I just give them a lokmaus and they can play around in a large marshalling yard. I can give one guest two lokmause and he can control two locos without having to bother about selecting addresses. Roco now has a new setup called z21. This is compatible with the lokmause. The new system includes wireless control and it,s possible to use a mobile phone as a controller. Internet connection is possible and computer control. The only thing that the Multimaus does not do is to have a program track output. I find this to be no problem and you can create an isolated section on a convenient siding.. finally Roco works with lenz And. Is made by them.

I have the GM Prodigy V1, rated at 1.5amps, and it drives O gauge sound fitted Heljan locos with no problem, one at at time as I haven't tried 2 at once, the Heljan 31 & 37 use to draw about 2.2 amps and the Prodigy never cut out or shut down once.

It's only limitation is the number of functions V1 does which is 12 on a loco, but it does do accessory decoders, point work route planning etc, and I found it easier to wire in a seperate programming track to save the faffing around of changing wires over when deciding if to programme on the main track or a seperate programming track.

If you need some instructions I can copy you some and email the to you.

Best regards

Craig

I too am a great advocate of the Roco Multimaus series of controllers - having many of them in regular use, but there are a few errors in Parad1ddle's comparative summary which ought to be corrected.  I have covered some of these in other threads -apologies for repetition.

The Roco range of handsets over the years  have been (Roco)Maus (Locos1-8) [earlier protocol, [Maus1 was (probably) made by Lenz, but not the later models]:  Maus2 (several styles) - offers Short addresses 1-99, light control + 2 functions, with its 2-digit display ... 

Then the RED (Roco) or Grey (Fleischmann) Multimaus  - with its good clear graphic and text display of Loco/Points settings etc, knob and 21 functions via 0-9 keyboard.

With LENZ and Roco Expressnet-based controllers, Long addresses are used AUTOMATICALLY from 100-9999 - again matching the 4-character number display.  matching Lenz's recommendation for short addresses only to 99, and not 127 as per NMRA, and ZTC511 which also use Expresnet.  [Hornby Select/Elite are also Expressnet, and the Bachmann EZcommand dcc controller]

With the ROCO configuration,  the first handset is plugged into the 'Amplifier's' MASTER socket via a 6-wire lead:  THIS HANDSET contains the processor, memory [of locos selected and their speeds, functions etc, and points/signals last set position] , and generates the dcc signal which is sent to the Amplifier (whch is effectively just  a 'Booster' (Amplifier).  MORE Handsets can be plugged in to the SLAVE connector - but these only need to use the middle 4 wires of the plug, as these supply the  12V power and RS422 control link (Expressnet).   Multimaus or Maus2 may be plugged in as slaves (in a daisy chain, upto 32 handsets, using simple Y-adapters. 

IF  a Maus2 is plugged in as the MASTER, then options are limited to a Maus2's capabilities... because that is the processor then running the system,  

BOTH the Maus2 and Multimaus can be used for programming:- 'reading back' is NOT required and slows programming !!! - However, the MULTIMAUS WILL READ BACK when used with a Rocomotion interface, MultiCentrale Pro, or Z21 (their latest generation).  The MAUS2 uses several programing methods Automatically in sequence - and I find it useful for its ability to program some 'older' decoder designs which 'others cannot reach' - including some LGB decoders!

IF A DIFFERENT Multimaus is plugged in as MASTER, then the memory of where points and signals were left will be incorrect 8-(   [ If however, the system was connected to Rocomotion or Railroad Control Software, then this would overide the handset memory settings, with those held in the computer software ]

An EXPRESSNET computer interface from Lenz, Roco (Rocomotion Adapter), or Opendcc (very cheap easily assembled kit) can be used as a computer interface.. possibly others.

EACH MULTIMAUS includes a user-created  'Library' of 64 locos ( numbered using ANY number from 1-9999 despite the manual implying only CV1 !) which are then NAMED with 5 characters; allowing accessby name, as a (toggled)  alternative to numeric entry, and the list may be copied between handsets.   Each handset may thereore have an independant or duplicated Library.

ECONOMICAL BOOSTERS: Although Roco sell 'dedicated' boosters - their electronics is IDENTICAL to the AMPLIFIER included in the basic starter set: So  the economical method is to buy multiple Digital Starter Sets, or controllers split from them.... Then simply loop the Booster connection through INSTEAD of pluggng anything in to the Master/Slave sockets when used as a Booster [ The loop can be an external Y-adapter, or the missing socket can be soldered into its place on te PCB  - it is a PASSIVE loop. ]   Upto 4 boosters can be used without a further interface box.  Each obviously needs its own power supply - and a 'laptop'  SMPS of 18Vdc 3.5-4Amps is ideal as a replacement for the old heavy and inefficient Roco transformers (230:16Vac) which USED to be supplied before EC requirements dictated energy efficient SMPS supplies.  The SMPS also prevents the track voltage rising to 21V when nothing is moving, as could happen with the transformer !! [some people added diode drops to reduce this - but the SMPS is much better ]

The MultiCentrale Pro moved the software, processor and memory into the Central Box (more like the standard Lenz COnfiguration, but not made by Lenz) - and this allowed a Wireless handset to be introduced - The MultimaisPRO (in blue, whether from Roco of Fleischmann). This also added ROUTES and by default, read-back in programming as a separate programming track output was built in.   [ I therefore have a separate section of track on our portable exhibition layout whuch is controlled by the old Multimaus and Amplifier, so that I can quickly reprogra locos without the delay of Read-back and without stopping trains on the main part of the layout !!! ]  The Blue handsets use 'ZigBee' wireless link  but WiFi has proved to be much cheaper and more popular  . so the Z21 system added a Wireless Router, and WiFi as the wireless link....

The Z21in black  (and z21- White, basic version) allow cable Multimauses,  and  'Z21' WiFiMaus {BLACK] which has now become readily available for just over 80GBP - as well as allowing the uSer to use their Smartphone or Tablet as a highly-graphic controller, with digital video link from suitably equippped locomotives !!   It also has connections for Loconet protocol and a sniffer interface.   The Z21 Wifi handset increases the NAMING to 10 characters (scrolled) and Functions to the full 28 with an extra press of the Shift button.

Why not consider Roco. I have Roco for my layout and recently purchased the Prodigy advance so as to familiar with the system as it is used by the model railway club that I have recently joined.
I think that the Roco system beats the Gaugemaster system hands down. It does everything the prodigy advance will do plus quite a lot more. It is also cheaper. Expansion of the system ischeapandeasy to do. I am talking about the Multimaus. This hand set is very comfortable to use one handed. The rotary speed control has a central notchable stop position with anti clockwise for reverse and clockwise for forward. A glance at the knob will show you what speed you have set and what direction you have. The direction is also shown on the display. Loco addresses can be had in 5 digits as a mix of numbers and letters. Or in 2or 4 number choice. 9.999 in four numbers and 127 in two numbered. It,s possible to use the older Lokmausecontrollerasa slave and you can have two of them plugged in to the base station as well as the Multimaus. Add booster amplifiers and you can plug more into them. This can be found on. eBay at less than £50. Lokmause even cheaper. The lockmaus do not read the five digit address but the basic address of the decoder can be read. Programming can be done on the lokmause but why bother when it,s easier on the Multimaus. My layout is quite large and lends itself to be used by visiting guests in sections. I just give them a lokmaus and they can play around in a large marshalling yard. I can give one guest two lokmause and he can control two locos without having to bother about selecting addresses. Roco now has a new setup called z21. This is compatible with the lokmause. The new system includes wireless control and it,s possible to use a mobile phone as a controller. Internet connection is possible and computer control. The only thing that the Multimaus does not do is to have a program track output. I find this to be no problem and you can create an isolated section on a convenient siding.. finally Roco works with lenz And. Is made by them.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry to drag this topic up, but it showed up top in a search.

In simple terms what is the difference between the gauge master/prodigy express system and the advance?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to drag this topic up, but it showed up top in a search.

In simple terms what is the difference between the gauge master/prodigy express system and the advance?

I think I covered that in post#3. The express command station gives 1.5amp against 3.5amp of the PA2, while the handset can't operate DCC accesories. Using a PA2 or wireless handset conversion gives full control, but just at the 1.5amp. Don't really know what else there is to say. Any ergonomics with the handsets apply to all versions equally while the new wi-fi module for smartphones/tablets will I believe work with all the various command stations.

Izzy

Here's some other threads of interest when I was first looking:

New to dcc and waying up which control system to get

Help with NCE Powercab

NCE Power Cab or Prodigy Advance - Which one to go for

I opted for the PA2 instead of the Express.

It was more, yes, but I can't see me needing to change in the near (10+ years?) future; I didn't want to be limited by the Express.

Archived