The End of The Line 0-14 and 0 GOES ON..........

Giles

The scenic part of the layout is 5' x 3' with the fiddle yard adding ax extra 2' 6" or so.

I believe Tim does have some bookings for next year - and I dare say he'll be along before long and say what they are!

(The lorries are great fun though, and add another level to the operation, to say the least!)

• RMweb Premium

Wow what a fantastic little layout what are the dimensions of the layout? and those working lorries are very good will you be showing the layout next year.

cheers 

Confirmed 2016 Shows are: 

Monmouth - 7 Feb 16

Midland Garden Rail (Fosse Way, Leamington Spa) - 12/13 Mar 16

Abingdon - 19 Mar 16

GLOSGOG - 3 Apr 16

Ross on Wye - 20/21 Aug 16

Weston-super-mare - 11 Sept 16

Fareham - 1/2 Oct 16

Westbury - 12 Nov 16

Manchester - 3/4 Dec 16

[edit - List of confirmed shows updated]

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The End of the Line appeared at the Cotswold Model Railway Show this weekend.  Always a friendly show with excellent catering.

Obviously given the time of year, the demand for coal is increasing evidenced by the larger than normal rake of standard gauge wagons.  Those lorries were even working on Sunday.

post-7686-0-55828600-1446409248_thumb.jpg

My Ruston LBT finally has entered service with a new chassis - my normal 3D printed effort but this time using a Nigel Lawton 10x12 coreless motor (there not being room for a decent Mashima - I don't use 1015s), pulley drive and 15:1 KBscale worm gears (so about 60:1 effective gear ratio).  I did have some concerns as the 10x12 is a fast revving motor but the LBT is quite sedate and glides along nicely.  It has a CT Elektronik DCX76zD DCC decoder (which I fit to all my 7mm NG locos).  While it worked the coal circuit for most of the weekend, it started out with the embryonic works train.  The two flat wagons were used to test the concept of have a non-coal NG train. Some more suitable wagons will appear in due course.

post-7686-0-02087500-1446409270_thumb.jpg

I've decided that after Thornbury (21/22 Nov), I'm going to build a new NG fiddle yard.  One that has 2 return loops so I can handle a few 'guest appearance' NG trains.  Having the works train go around the circuit with the coal was a bit too much but it gave some variation and having a second loop in the FY will allow such trains to be stored without taking them off the layout.

Finally, we were honoured to be awarded the Pat Arnold Cup as voted by the visiting public and the Bert Hawkins Cup as voted by the other exhibitors.  

post-7686-0-29759300-1446409341_thumb.jpg

I have many fond memories of both Pat and Bert, now both sadly departed, from my teenage days in Gloucester Model Railway Club, 30 years ago.  Happy days!

Not too much to do before Thornbury - Hopefully I'll get my O&K H1 finished.....

[edit - must learn to spell...]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The End of the Line continues to go on and on.............

3 shows so far in 2016 - Monmouth, Midlands Garden Rail and Abingdon.  Picked up 'Best Layout in Show' at yesterday's Abingdon Show.

post-7686-0-12416100-1458460106_thumb.jpg

I've been concentrating on club related projects in recent weeks so the planned new NG fiddle yard is still in its constituent parts but I have rang the changes with a Lionheart Tank wagon and some suitable wagons for the works train.

post-7686-0-63792700-1458460124_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-72224600-1458460135_thumb.jpg

Next show is GLOSGOG on Sunday 3 April.  A very friendly and informal gathering so if you are in the area please come along and say hello.

attachicon.gifP1030662.JPG

Next show is GLOSGOG on Sunday 3 April.  A very friendly and informal gathering so if you are in the area please come along and say hello.

Hi Tim, 

If you don't mind me asking, who makes those kits for the narrow gauge wagons in the last image? I love what you have done, the weathering and colouring of all your stock is superb!

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tim, 

If you don't mind me asking, who makes those kits for the narrow gauge wagons in the last image? I love what you have done, the weathering and colouring of all your stock is superb!

Cheers,

David

David

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm afraid that those wagon bodies are scratch built from coffee stirrers and mounted on KBscale rugga chassises.  The metal trim on the 1 plank wagon is just off cuts of plasticard with some 10thou square plastistrut rivets.  The tools are from sprues by Ixion (tools for their locos) and S&D models.  Making such bodies is not difficult and I batch built a number of variations recently to form the stock for an O14 Inglenook shunting layout I am planning.  Have a go, coffee stirrers are free/very cheap so anything thats not to your liking just goes in the bin.

I try to keep a note of my paint mixes so that things look consistent.

The wood is painted a mix of Tamiya XF19/XF57 with a couple of (very thin) washes of MIG/Ammo AK083 Track Wash.  I paint the wood rather than use dyes so that it then looks exactly the same as my resin bodied wagons from Black Dog Mining.  For rusty metal, I use a mix of Tamiya XF10/XF77 and again use the AK083 as a wash. 

I'm a big fan of The Weathering Magazine (the issues that cover generic subjects like rust, dust, mud etc rather than period or location specific military modelling), most of the painting and weathering techniques I use are covered in them.

[edit - correction to paint reference numbers]

David

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm afraid that those wagon bodies are scratch built from coffee stirrers and mounted on KBscale rugga chassises.  The metal trim on the 1 plank wagon is just off cuts of plasticard with some 10thou square plastistrut rivets.  The tools are from sprues by Ixion (tools for their locos) and S&D models.  Making such bodies is not difficult and I batch built a number of variations recently to form the stock for an O14 Inglenook shunting layout I am planning.  Have a go, coffee stirrers are free/very cheap so anything thats not to your liking just goes in the bin.

I try to keep a note of my paint mixes so that things look consistent.

The wood is painted a mix of Tamiya XF19/XF57 with a couple of (very thin) washes of MIG/Ammo AK083 Track Wash.  I paint the wood rather than use dyes so that it then looks exactly the same as my resin bodied wagons from Black Dog Mining.  For rusty metal, I use a mix of Tamiya XF10/XF77 and again use the AK083 as a wash. 

I'm a big fan of The Weathering Magazine (the issues that cover generic subjects like rust, dust, mud etc rather than period or location specific military modelling), most of the painting and weathering techniques I use are covered in them.

[edit - correction to paint reference numbers]

Hi Tim,

Thanks very much for your reply and the useful information. That's really interesting, I do have a few spare KBscale wagon chassis kicking around so it is something I will have a look at further - it will be very cheap to try as your say but your versions do look fantastic!! The colouring is wonderful, particularly the wood color so thanks for sharing. To be honest I've never seen The Weathering Magazine but I'll keep an eye out now. 

Thanks again,

David

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good to see you at our show at the weekend Tim and thanks or explaining how you'd done the RC truck........now to try and work out how I can get it in my OO Gauge 360!

Cheers

Mike

Mike

Nice to meet you too.  Good luck with the 360!

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nothing much to report.  The End of the Line continues to go on and on.

Booked appearances for this year:

Stevenage - 14/15 January 2017

Bristol O Gauge Show - 22 January 17

Biggleswade - 18 February 2017

Solent (Southampton) - 25/26 February 2017

Kettering O Gauge Show - 4 March 2017

Epsom - 22/23 April 2017

Oxford - 15 October 2017

Weymouth - 28/29 October 2017

There are a couple more potentials where I've not received paperwork as yet but I'll update once, and if, them come through.

Hopefully, I'll have a couple of new additions to the fleet soon too....

post-7686-0-84353100-1483798105_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I used to have a model of the Ford van like that. I painted it the same colour too - never knew it was a standard colour for those models.

Is this going to be radio-controlled?

Hi Dave

Yes, its a standard colour from the Oxford Diecast range.  There is plenty of room in the Austin K8 for the same RC gear I use in the lorries and it'll be a squeeze but it should just fit in the 400e.  

Just waiting for some bits from Shapeways to get on with them.  Hopefully, they'll be running for Biggleswade in February.

• 3 months later...

These layouts and operations so inspired me I tried to make my own version.

Not even near the originals but the delightful way of operating and filming really adds to things.

Most inspirational layouts yet seen

• 1 year later...

Giles,

Good afternoon. I have just found a video of your layout on line. What a great layout, congratulations. Very nice.

I was searching for 009 wagons that tip when I found your layout.

I am thinking of making my first layout later in the year and I have a few questions please ?

1 where did you get your tipping wagons from please ?

2 the metal bars that you use to tip the wagon. I presume that you made them ? I can't find anything similar online

3 great Simplex loco. But where did you get it from ? I presume it is made from the 3D models for sale online.

4 I am thinking of having dual gauge track on my layout so therefore do you know if the Simplex loco can be DCC fitted please ?

Kind regards Steve

Hi Steve,

Giles here! I'm sure Tim won't mind.....

The tippers are KBScale kits, and very nice too

The metal bars are basically bent lengths of rail, bent carefully and positioned carefully to create that reaction and motion in the tippers (which need polishing with talcum powder to ensure it all works...

The Simplex is a brass kit - I can't quite remember who's though, and yes, it's got a decoder in , although it was a tight squeeze!

There is also a teeny Lister, which is also DCC

Archived