Million Dollar Layout?

Baby Deltic

After 30 seconds I gave up watching it. Should have spent some of that million on a decent camera/cameraman. Seen better home videos of two cats fighting. Dennis

Or one cat fighting with a musical greetings card (Mrs 298 finds it the funniest thing ever...).

It's interesting to see how others do things, I'd love to have that amount of space available and be able to keep it all tidy...

1, they seem to have not spent any money on teach the guy with the camera how to do it, or how to edit out all of the moving bits. Ow my head!!

2, they also seem to have spent loads on stock and not a great deal on the layout.

Didn't seem all that impressive to me.

Ahhh, my eyes!! That should come with a motion sickness warning. Looks interesting but as others have said shame about the idiot with the camera.

The commentry was even worse, 'Ooh look trains, ooh more trains, train books, train videos, trains on display...'

Guest Belgian

Oooouch! That 'camerawork' did my head in. It was noticeable that he seemed more interested in the miniature signs for model motels, a green dragon and cars in the city scenes than the model railroad. It was also appropriate to note that all the other videos that came up on YouTube alongside this when it was playing were about *homa* the *an* and his friends from the Isle of So*or!

* some words have been changed to protect the innocent(me) as I understand these words which were once part of the English language now belong to some company which HITS us all with massive lawsuits if we actually use them.

It was also appropriate to note that all the other videos that came up on YouTube alongside this when it was playing were about *homa* the *an* and his friends from the Isle of So*or!

Not for me. There was a very exciting working Kato level crossing (over and over) and a US one in N, a ballasting tutorial in German, a very large modern French layout with lots of moving trains and the Reverend Al Sharpton misreading a statement on TV amongst others. All very youtube.

Presumably youtube thinks you're keen on Thomas.

I have to agree that it was the worst filming I've seen in a long time!

If that layout has cost one million dollars, then I guess it included the building it's in AND some very steep bills from some "custom builder" (it looks like a work of some company......).

Totally uninspireing in any way, form or shape to me!

• RMweb Gold

i thought rod stewart

I wouldn't - there are some pics of his US layout here http://www.gibson.com/en-us/lifestyle/features/toys-in-the-attic-rod-stewart/ and it looks good and he's done a lot of it himself. I've never seen any pictures of his UK layout(s?) but he has an ECML layout in N gauge and I think he might have another layout over here as well.

I wouldn't - there are some pics of his US layout here http://www.gibson.co...ic-rod-stewart/ and it looks good and he's done a lot of it himself. I've never seen any pictures of his UK layout(s?) but he has an ECML layout in N gauge and I think he might have another layout over here as well.

IIRC his US layout was featured on the One Show last year on BBC1. IIRC he also says on his retainer he expects there to be a layout, or something along those lines.

The real question is though, if you had $1m, what layout would you build (excluding the cost of the venue)?

• RMweb Premium

I bet that the owner of the layout didn't / doesn\t know that that has been film and put on line. The 2 that were filming it came over very much as people who didn't know anything about the layout, though the non filmer seemed to be more interested and a little more knowledgable. I would take a guess that the 2 doing the filming might have been working in the property and filmed it when the owner was out.

When you look beyond the camera work some of the scenery was rather good but there was obviously a long way to go to completion.

I'm with Kris here, I think that was two folk unconnected with the building of it having a wander round and filming it on their phone, the things the 'cameraman' was interested in were not the ones i'd have been bothered about or interested in as a modeller for example. I'd have lingered for more than a couple of seconds over that big cabinet of SP brass diesels for example..... ;)

I didn't think the modelling was that bad, it was good enough to recognise a couple of real locations in the LA area from pics/sateillite images (for instance I'm pretty sure the unfinished passenger terminal at the start will eventually be LAUPT, and the junction at 1:56 leading to it is this one at Redondo: http://binged.it/zy1Pa1 - not perfect replica's and with lots to do on it, but plausible...

* some words have been changed to protect the innocent(me) as I understand these words which were once part of the English language now belong to some company which HITS us all with massive lawsuits if we actually use them.

When my lad used to like watching Thomas episodes, I always used to think that that Company had missed an "S" off the front of it's name.... ;)

Archived