Dapol West Country & Rebuilt West Country

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

i see what you mean.

however i am not sure there is a big enough market for it in N gauge to be honest. but i am open to thoughts, providing it doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

cheers

Dave

I can totally understand this, and although being a 4mm man myself I am happy to offer any advice I can to get the N gauge model as good as it can be within limits to the benefit of all Southern modellers out there.

I hope to get some time over the weekend to give the released CAD images a once over and mention anything else that comes up, although Tom has done a pretty good job so far.

ps for those not aware of the cab variations these can be seen on my blog post here

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just have looked at what is available in the catalogue, the list as :-

Air Smoothed (?with highsided raved 4500 gal Tenders?)

ND208A 21c164 Fighter Command in Southern Green

ND208D 34066 Spitfire

ND208G 21c113 Okehampton in Southern Green

ND208H 34030 Watersmeet

Rebuilt

ND208B 34098 Templecombe (?4500 gal Tender?)

ND208C 34042 Dorchester (?5500 gal Tender?)

ND208E 34088 213 Squadron (?4500 gal Tender?)

ND208F 34052 Lord Dowding (?5500 gal Tender?)

All for £119.99 each with tender drive.

Also of interest is the range of Maunsell coaches (awaiting details)

Also of interest is the freighty Q1's "Charlie's" "Coffee Pot's"

ND207A 33005

ND207B 33011

ND207C C1

ND207D C7

I must admit with these being offered in "N" a layout is very much on the cards.

Dave / Muz How about the original Slab cab or a "mod" on how to convert?

Also Dave, Do you have a general release start date for the WC-BoB's?

Chris

**Edited with the Tender sizes - Hopefully they would be correct ones**

Edited by 34010-34005

Hi Chris,

I think the 1 thing we have to be careful of, as there are already murmerings from the lesser read of the forums, is announcing delivery dates.

So in all honesty i wont do that at the moment in case it gives the trolls ammunition.

I think i'll "take the 5th" on this issue and say that only when i personally say its on the boat, can you be assured it is. (this normally means about 6 weeks to the stockists)..

This will save any confusion i think.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Fair comment and thanks for taking the time to reply. My order is already in with the stockist.

However, I'm pleased that your and your team have decided to produce these. As the Farish ones are antiquated to say the least. They are producing a MN in air smoothed for £135. Perhaps they may re do their rebuilt.

Off to design my first N layout....................

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Adding to TomE's detailed comparisons, the angled , forward upward sweep of the firebox top, appears to be missing.

post-7009-0-39041500-1345115254.jpg

post-7009-0-72194300-1345115580_thumb.jpg

This is, also, poorly represented on both the modified WC/BoB & MN, produced by Hornby, as is the width of top.

( End of Nitpickin')

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi chaps,

This in from China this morning.

I've spotted a few things that need attention and they havnt had the cladding in front of the cylinders as the requested separate part......that will change :-)

BOB cad/cams by the weekend i hope.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-22361300-1354534926_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-89057500-1354534948_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-61709300-1354534963_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-80311200-1354534974_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi chaps,

This in from China this morning.

I've spotted a few things that need attention and they havnt had the cladding in front of the cylinders as the requested separate part......that will change :-)

BOB cad/cams by the weekend i hope.

cheers

Dave

Thanks for keeping us informed, looking forward to having one of these in Southern livery on my layout, keep up the good work :good:

Hi Dapol Dave.

Re :- Front end Cowl & Deflectors.

Have a look at these pictures*.

http://www.semgonlin...team/blp02.html

You''ll notice that the cowl has a flatter top to it and doesn't follow the radius of the top of the boiler cladding.

Also, the smoke deflectors did vary. When viewed head-on. they ranged from near flat, to the pronounced curvature shown in your Cadcam view.

As noted elsewhere, there are, also, the differing lengths to contend with, depending on loco and era.

*I'll have a look out for a decent frontal shot. If found, I'll edit in the link.

Regards.

* Edit :-

One head-on shot found, can be seen be seen by scrolling down, approx / nearly 1/2 way, on this page of David Heys' excellent website..

http://www.davidheys....com/page13.htm.

All the best,

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.

Thanks for the update on this. That's looking much improved over the original CAD shown earlier!

As Frank has highlighted already, the only thing that stood out was the shape of the deflectors. Whilst they do seem to vary from engine to engine, those on the CAD seem to be at the extreme end of the curvy look!

To illustrate, here is Wadebridge on shed at Ropley:

post-1467-0-08121500-1354783670_thumb.jpg

Whilst 007 is at the opposite end of the spectrum, perhaps somewhere between the two would be best for the model?

Looking forward to seeing the rebuilt update!

Thanks again,

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

A couple of comparative shots, showing just how confusing it can become (Especially if you rely on preserved locos)

post-7009-0-95952300-1354977387_thumb.jpg

34007 'WADEBRIDGE' again, showing correct 8'- 6" wide cab, although, with a 9' wide tender. (Tenders did get swopped around)

post-7009-0-07771300-1354977759_thumb.jpg

34067 'TANGMERE' with 9' wide cab. As built, this loco had an 8'- 6" wide cab, as did all WCs & BoBs up to, and including No. 21C170 / 34070.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

(Tenders did get swopped around)

And they still do! Wadebridge is currently running with the tender from 35027 Port Line, which will then move to 35005 Canadian Pacific once 34007's new build tender is complete!

Tom.

• Like 1

Tangmere's smoke deflectors look just right end on. Noting there were the three various lengths. Wadebridge's look so flat and square angled to say the least.

Osbourn's in Bideford are advertising 34019 Bideford as a special. No release date as this imho would be when things are selling in the main range.

Dave, It was good to meet you at Warley early on Saturday morning.

• RMweb Gold

[ George Takei] Oh My [/ George Takei]!

That, is looking 100 times better than the orginal CAD, even with the 13 sided boiler :blum: Top job Dave!

However, one thing that does need looking at again I feel is the top of the firebox. From the images above, the CAD shows it is still missing the slight slope down towards the cab. Its difficult to desribe, and finding a photo to illustrate wasn't easy but hopeully this side on view of 34028 shows what I'm babling on about:

7281829046_0fac0c21b3_c.jpg

34028 Eddystone @ Swanage 2012 073 by Dave C1, on Flickr

You can see that just after the first bolier banding there is a join in the cladding, and from this point there is a definite slope down towards the cab.

Apart from that one area, i'm finding it difficult to spot anything else that is not quite there. It really is looking fantastic!

Thanks again for the update Dave, much appreciated!

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the CAD drawing of the originaln air smoothed westcountry, it has fitted rebuilt type ashpans, will the model also cater for the original ash pans which most of the locos carried.

Also will the model cater for the 2 safety valves positioned later on over the fire box as well?

• Like 1