MRJ 214 - just arrived

Poggy1165

Contents:

Small Suppliers Forum

Black Lion Crossing the Prologue by Geoff Kent. BR (ex WM&CQ0 Em.

Another Diamond Jubilee (Manchester-Sheffield-Wath) by Alan Whitehouse.

An EM2 in 2mm by Alex Duckworth

GWR Fencing in 4mm, Frank Davies

Cravens 105 Basic Conversion to EM, Pete Hill

A Fiddle Yard Turntable, by Jol Wilkinson

Upper Yard, Robert Sharpe (7 mm scale goods yard.)

Christmas Competition Results

Southern Coaches in the Maunsell era part 2, Peter Swift

Letters

Diary

Also an obituary for Malcolm Cornelius Crawley

Not had time to read the articles but looks like it's close to 'something for everyone' except maybe the ultra-modern modeller. Now going to sit and digest at leisure.

Have just noticed there are also obituaries for John Charman (of Charford fame) and Tom Harland. (Would have done an edit, but for some reason cannot open edit on original post.)

Black Lion Crossing : a real 'less is more' project I think. Alone well worth going to Railwells in August just to see it in the flesh. The pub looks wonderful. One of those, "I'm sure I've been there" models

There is a misleading letter about BR wagon liveries. Does anyone have an email address for the mag? I couldn't see one, although there is one for the small traders page.

Thanks for any help. I do recognise that WSP is a little backward, so please don't just reply that there isn't one, because I already suspect that is the case.

Paul Bartlett

Not sure how that happened though the up close pics do look like a 105...

Another superb issue I thought. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the blooper in the article on the Class 105 conversion though - the photo is of a Class 108!

Andy

Southern Coaches in the Maunsell era part 2, Peter Swift

Not even one down and 15 more to go....I bought that many? And I have to weather and de-line the Maunsell Olive green ones to fit 1946-47.

Yes indeed; I suspect that calling Beeson a 'bodger' may have been an epithet too far...

Having now read the letters page, that "Beeson" remark has triggered some mild annoyance.... :O

Anyhow... This is another excellent edition of MRJ.

Mr Jacksons editorial? Hear hear sir!

And as for Mr Kents latest creation, I wish to see it again asap having been in Slaithwaite last year for its debut. Quality stuff and thought provoking.

I think I'll giving this whole edition another full reading this lunch-time which will be about the fifth in under 24 hours - say no more methinks?

• RMweb Gold

Black Lion Crossing : a real 'less is more' project I think. Alone well worth going to Railwells in August just to see it in the flesh. The pub looks wonderful. One of those, "I'm sure I've been there" models

The layout is sublime, and hugely inspirational.

• RMweb Gold

And yet again (alas) I can see why I don't bother to enter the Christmas Competition when it comes out with things which can be assessed and and answered in a few lines (plus a few more to explain the why & the wherefore of course). I am amazed to read some of the problem setter's 'ideas' of how to deal with such simple matters as getting the wagons off the failed loco (yes, it would automatically be the first thing an experienced person would do - ok not everyone is experienced and this is how we learn but to say you need a possession to do it was a nonsense then and is still a nonsense under today's Rules).

But more than anything some of the odd ideas of how to get a GW loco to the train left me perplexed - there was a simple straight run through from Oswestry (and a map to show you that was the case!) plus the important point - alas not made in considering possible answers - that not only did Oswestry men have the necessary route knowledge but that it was a District Depot and thus would have had a loco in steam for exactly this sort of eventuality and Fitters ready to hand from either the shed or the works. No need for any thought about running powers - simply GW engine & men over a route they regularly (and obviously from the scenario) work and which the scenario has stated is open.

And no need to relieve any traincrew - they'd still have been under 12 hours and happy to make a few bob in overtime, so that was somthing of a red herring in practical terms. The sheep were alas a red herring in more ways than one but only from the viewpoint of local detail because they would in any case have been detached at Whitchurch to wait overnight for the morning trip from there which served Bettisfield - their watering would therefore have taken place at the planned station and their arrival time was as originally advised (but I happily acknowledge that you do need do need the relevant information to know that Bettisfield traffic was conveyed by a morning trip from Whitchurch and that clearly might not have been available to those who devised the scenario).

But it is obviously fair to say that when you have had to deal with this sort of thing in real life, often with limited time to think, you tend to do the job the simplest way - and maybe that doesn't necessarily suit competitions?

The layout is sublime, and hugely inspirational.

?????

There are a few things that make me question why I waste four quid on a magazine that sets itself up as superior to others........

One is carriage/van roofs painted brilliant white.........

and another is model buildings floating a scale 3 inches in the air.......

..... few things that make me question why I waste four quid on a magazine that sets itself up as superior to others........

Wait for future issues, in which we will be shown how elite modellers can walk on water :jester:

Note that they won't actually show you how you can do it yourself (that would be revealing trade secrets), but they will tease and tantalise you.

Black Lion Crossing : The pub looks wonderful.

As does the bus.

Having doctored a similar Corgi model to represent a specific Eastern National vehicle I now see what I should have done.

Reglazing the windows is a step too far for me.

All in all two superb issues in a row.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

?????

There are a few things that make me question why I waste four quid on a magazine that sets itself up as superior to others........

Are you talking about the buildings on Black Lion Crossing? That would be the unfinished layout that has all the buildings loose so that Geoff can finish them off before he moves on to the currently non existant groundwork. In case you hadn't noticed, the layout article was a progress report. Unlike the vast majority of layouts, there is very little level board on Black Lion, so there is a lot of packing/levelling to do to get the buildings to "sit" properly. Knowing Geoff, it won't look like that when it is finished.

As for white roofs, the only ones I can see are in the advert for Railex on what look like an unfinished rake of LNWR six wheelers. The vents still look like whitemetal and they have no numbers and possibly no glazing.

The ones on London Road may look white, possibly due to the lighting in the photograph, in the side view. The view from above clearly shows them to be weathered.

Are you looking at the same mag?

Valid criticism is fine but unwarranted comments like those deserve a response.

?????

Bill,

I am sure we are all eagerly awaiting the articles on the construction of your layout. :O :o

Archived