Deerfield Beach, FL

Alcanman

Hi,

As I mentioned in a seperate thread my old layout CSX Palmetto Spur is no more.

Like many other builders of small layouts once a layout is finished, thoughts turn to a new project. I had been looking again at Florida, particularly Miami and South FL, being still under the influence of Lance Mindheim's magic.

Some time ago Lance included a link on his blog to a Youtube channel with videos of trains in the South FL area made by a young local railfan. I'd been casually watching them for a while

when I saw a video featuring CSX Miami Sub local O717 Ft Lauderdale,FL - Deerfield Beach,FL switching industries that looked small enough to be model-able.

After watching more videos and reading the author's blog (Tolga aka brickbuilder 711) I convinced myself that at least 2 of the industries, Publix and Sun Sentinel, both located at Deerfield Beach, FL could form the basis of a small switching layout.

For the track plan, I wanted something different from Palmetto, so I introduced a run-around with a couple of trailing spurs, basically, a 'double inglenook'

Here's the track plan.

post-7898-0-25073800-1335453040_thumb.jpg

One of the features that I really liked on Palmetto was the 'urban concrete canyon' partiallly hiding the staging track. This will also be used on Deerfield Beach.

post-7898-0-71473800-1335453227_thumb.jpg

I'll post more info later,

regards,

Mal

Mal that picture above is a great tribute to Palmetto (still can't believe it's gone... :( ) and I have just had to use it as my new Desktop Wallpaper - hope you don't mind!!

All the best with the new project!

I certainly don't mind, I'm flattered! :thankyou: Thanks for your support.

More from Deerfield Beach coming soon.

Mal

Hi Mal,

Not sure how prototype specific this track arrangement is as drawn. Depending on how close you want to be to the real thing, one thing you might want to consider is dropping one of the spurs in the upper left of the plan and servicing those two industries (plastics and newsprint) with a single long siding. I think that would be much more typical of contemporary North American practice.

Hi Marty,

I do prefer long spurs as they look much more prototypical, however with a total of only 9ft available, I would like as much operational potential as possible.

Constantly pulling cars in and out of one spur with a relatively short lead doesn't have so much appeal to me.

In reality, these two industries are both facing spurs off the main line. The Sun Sentinel spur is actually acessed from Deerfield Beach Amtrak/Tri-Rail station , the track intersects the platform, a most unusual arrangement.

The Publix spur is about a mile further south along the line.

regards,

Mal

When I was laying out the track into the paper mill on my layout I kept asking myself "WWMD or WWCD?"?" (What Would Mindheim Do?" OR "What Would Confalone Do?") :scratchhead: - of course I had the advantage of being able to talk through it with Lance, which I did (Lance lives pretty close - Confalone is a ways away . . . ) . . . but in short fewer turnouts are (almost) always better...

Just a thought for a Friday afternoon. . . . .

Sometimes, Marty, the truth is stranger than fiction.

On another thread I bought up the rather interesting interchange at Three Bridges, NJ between NS and the shortline BR & W.

The connection between the two has a rather large (but short in length) reverse curve (crossing main street at one end) which then enters a long passing loop with another siding off to what looks like an old wood mill then in the other direction there are two kickback sidings that peter out amongst the weeds and undergrowth....the BR & W "mainline" starts from the other end of the passing loop.

It looks as if it was designed by a deranged Railroad Modeller.....

Best, Pete.

Hi,

Here's a little more background info.

CSX O717 is a daily Mon-Fri local switcher serving around a dozen or so small industries. Heading north from Ft Lauderdale on the main line also shared with long distance CSX freights, FEC, Amtrak and Tri-Rail commuter trains, it collects and sets out cars until it reaches Deerfield Beach, returning south to Ft Lauderdale.

The appeal for me is the small model sized industries, where sometimes only 1 car is collected. O717 rarely exceeds more than 18 cars.

Sun Sentinel is a regional South Florida newspaper and this is it's processing center. The short spur off the station platform leads to a warehouse with only 4 bays, usually receiving Hi-cube boxcars.

Publix as Marty has pointed out, is a supermarket chain, this facility makes plastic bottles for their supermarkets and receives plastic pellet hoppers.

Heres's a video featuring Sun Sentinel and another model sized industry, Home Depot at nearby Pompano Beach/Market

http://youtu.be/lKVGTXN0LxI

regards,

Mal

Hi,

Here are a couple of Bing Views showing both industries.

You can clearly see the 4 canopies on the Sun Sentinel warehouse and the short spur intersecting the station platform.

http://www.bing.com/...est&form=LMLTSN

Next, Publix, again a short spur leading to the main line with PP hoppers on spot.

http://www.bing.com/...ter&form=LMLTSN

Finally, a recent pic of CSX O717 heading for home, nr Ft Lauderdale, with a typical consist. Thanks to Tolga for permission to show this pic

post-7898-0-74484100-1335713756_thumb.jpg

regards,

Mal

This is going to come out great, Mal! For ops potential I would've recommended just the transflo space but since that is all the same Ethanol and dry bulk, running a bit to the north helps well.

And yes, I've been to that spot in Hollywood. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R6ao8z7zQs

Tolga

Welcome aboard Tolga. You're a brave man coming on here - all us frustrated Brit modelers of Florida will bombard you with questions! :sungum:

Great catch on the heritage Amtrak unit.

This is going to come out great, Mal! For ops potential I would've recommended just the transflo space but since that is all the same Ethanol and dry bulk, running a bit to the north helps well.

And yes, I've been to that spot in Hollywood. :)

Tolga

Welcome aboard, Tolga

Having decided on Publix (plastic pellet hoppers) and Sun Sentinel (hi-cube boxcars) I looked for a third industry which could provide more variety in the type of car for operating potential.

I chose the CSX Transflo Terminal at Ft. Lauderdale for this reason, although I may use some cars that are not seen there. I guess that's modeller's license!

This Bing view shows the Transflo, which could form the basis of a layout itself.

http://www.bing.com/...y=o&form=LMLTCC

I'm also looking at the other small industries served by CSX O717 to check out their modeling potential, as time permits.

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Welcome aboard, Tolga

Having decided on Publix (plastic pellet hoppers) and Sun Sentinel (hi-cube boxcars) I looked for a third industry which could provide more variety in the type of car for operating potential.

I chose the CSX Transflo Terminal at Ft. Lauderdale for this reason, although I may use some cars that are not seen there. I guess that's modeller's license!

This Bing view shows the Transflo, which could form the basis of a layout itself.

http://www.bing.com/...y=o&form=LMLTCC

I'm also looking at the other small industries served by CSX O717 to check out their modeling potential, as time permits.

Mal

mal

That Bing link certainly has some modelling potential, especially in N gauge... no I mustn't do another N gauge layout!!

Ian

Hi,

Here are a couple of Bing Views showing both industries.

You can clearly see the 4 canopies on the Sun Sentinel warehouse and the short spur intersecting the station platform.

http://www.bing.com/...est&form=LMLTSN

Next, Publix, again a short spur leading to the main line with PP hoppers on spot.

http://www.bing.com/...ter&form=LMLTSN

Finally, a recent pic of CSX O717 heading for home, nr Ft Lauderdale, with a typical consist. Thanks to Tolga for permission to show this pic

post-7898-0-74484100-1335713756_thumb.jpg

In the Publix photo how are the two hopper cars being unloaded

Thanks Billy

regards,

Mal

Archived