chaz

I particularly like the last one, from the lower angle.

I must agree. The combination of 7mm/1 ft models and a small (compact) camera seems to give a viewpoint that matches very closely that of a scale person standing in the scene. I have just measured up the camera (a Panasonic DMC-TZ6) and its lens centre-line is approx' 28mm above its under surface. That scales out at four feet so the viewpoint is below that of an adult but might well match a young trainspotter. If you look through my posted photos you will spot several that share this perspective.  The high viewpoint shots can be excused as being from the various bridges or out of the windows of the surrounding (imaginary) buildings.

Chaz

• Like 3

Yes Chaz definitely your J6 build & weathering is the Mutts nuts, superb.  

Best

Thanks for the comments, Barnaby.... but.....  :no:  I must just point out that I didn't build the J6. I asked Heather Kavanagh to build it for me as my modelling efforts had switched to the Furness Valley in On30. I did weather it, but then I have always considered weathering to be my forte - I simply couldn't ask anyone else to do that!

Chaz

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments, Barnaby.... but.....  :no:  I must just point out that I didn't build the J6. I asked Heather Kavanagh to build it for me as my modelling efforts had switched to the Furness Valley in On30. I did weather it, but then I have always considered weathering to be my forte - I simply couldn't ask anyone else to do that!

Chaz

Thanks Chaz must have missed that bit of info in my following your thread so that makes it a GREAT build by Heather and some GREAT weathering by yourself.. 

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

Chaz your modelling is superb and the J6 looks the bees knees. I too like the low angle shots which is why I do my best to photo Ramchester from a low angle. Keep posting photos like this please.

Rod

Thanks Rod for those very encouraging comments. I will post more photos when I have them and will take more at future shows. At the moment the cupboard is fairly bare - as it is impossible to set up Dock Green at home.  

The thing that pleased me the most at the recent Basingstoke show was how much the quality of running improved with a thorough clean of all the rail tops and the reapplication of graphite. It hadn't been done for a while (possibly two years!) and operating was suffering. Anybody reading this who hasn't tried graphite ought to give it a try. A soft grade artist's sketching block costs very little and the transformation is almost magical.

Chaz

OK then lads, I will start putting something together. The first thing that will be useful is a track plan to which I will refer to from time to time. Although I have one as a JPEG it will need a little work to make it easier to use.

post-9071-0-12185900-1521308128_thumb.jpg

Chaz

• Like 6

post-9071-0-58176100-1521363656_thumb.jpeg

Here are a few notes on the track plan...

• There is no run-round on the reception road. Trains are limited to seven and a brake - they would have to be even shorter to fit the space had a loop been put in. No loop means that the yard must have a pilot loco (quelle damage).
  • The BR lines are the reception road (and the link leading to the main line), Goods sidings No 1 & 2, the headshunt and the transfer siding.
  • The estate lines (privately owned) are the loop at the front of the layout, the warehouse siding and the gradient that leads to the industrial estate.
  • Everything on the plan is too short or too cramped and awful liberties have been taken with clearances. The layout as drawn is sixteen feet long and two feet wide - within that I accepted numerous compromises to get the operating scope I wanted. Purists who find that approach beyond the pale should look away now.
  • A fifth baseboard has been added at the LH end to make the cassettes easier to manage and this has proved to be the best mod' I have made to the layout. This has no track laid on it and is really nothing more than a shelf.

In the next post I will start to explain the operating method.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 9

I. for one feel that any "awful liberties" that you have taken with this superb layout Chaz are well founded !

Thank you for your further posts.

Grahame

I also think that the 'liberties' you have taken Chaz are not so obvious given Dock Green's urban location, where space is often going to be at more of a premium compared to a typical countryside BLT where the railway would normally have found it much easier to aquire landand spread out more....

And even given said liberties, DG is still high up on my list of all time favourite layouts - the quality of your modelling certainly helps disguise them too!

Keith

Edited by keefr2

I. for one feel that any "awful liberties" that you have taken with this superb layout Chaz are well founded !

Thank you for your further posts.

Grahame

I also think that the 'liberties' you have taken Chaz are not so obvious given Dock Green's urban location, where space is often going to be at more of a premium compared to a typical countryside BLT where the railway would normally have found it much easier to aquire landand spread out more....

And even given said liberties, DG is still high up on my list of all time favourite layouts - the quality of your modelling certainly helps disguise them too!

Keith

Steady on lads, you have me blushing here, however your comments are much appreciated. 

I am proud of Dock Green - the layout has turned out much as I intended and some careful planning before the saw hit the plywood has paid off. 

Chaz

• Like 3

I've had the opportunity to help operate DG at some shows and it is good fun. It is also a rare example of cramming in a lot of track in mostly straight and parallel lines and yet still looks realistic. I am delighted that a couple of my locos are part of the DG industrial stud, but I have to succeed in slipping in a Minerva 57XX/8750 pannier on an inter-regional trip working. That said, one of the highlights of the timetable is the operation of the GNR somersault starting signal - well worth waiting for. The other thing always impresses me is the high quality and originality of Chaz's work in every aspect of the hobby. Well that's enough of that and its back to being rude about about engines found outside the blessed triangle that had its apex at Praed Street W2. 

Regards,

Chris

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I too have had one very enjoyable weekend, almost 2 years ago now! The operating sequence, I found, is very comprehensive, but not so restrictive that it takes the enjoyment out of operating. I've operated other layouts where there is an operating sequence and either so badly put together that doesn't work or so restrictive that you end up focusing too much on reading and following the sequence, that it takes the enjoyment out of the operating experience. Also, the sequence is relaxed enough that you can at least have some interaction with the viewers. Mind you, still need to keep your wits about you.

Unfortunately, I've not had an opportunity to join Chaz at other exhibitions either due to location or clash with other activities and would certainly want to help again f the opportunity arises.

• Like 2