3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

David,

I've been following your thread here in 'the wings', but having seen your latest developments I just have to say... Fantastic!!!! :good_mini:

These are superb and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your projects.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

Hi David,

I've been following this thread since it began and I've got to say you're getting very good at all of this, everything looks very good so far!

The GSM-R Transmitter unit earlier in the thread looks quite useful, is it ready to be printed and could it be scaled up to 'OO' (I assume it's to N Gauge)? I know there is a scale option on Sketch-up, so it wouldn't mean redrawing it all. I would get one at the drop of a hat if it could be!

Keep up the good work!

Simon

I managed to find an hour this morning to start work on my next design - a Plasser & Theurer EM-SAT RT100 track inspection unit. My job has evolved so I'm travelling around quite a bit at the moment, so my days off are mostly being used for pondering and relaxing, so progress on any actual modelling is slow.

The RT100 is an interesting unit, and has a very distinctive end (I've started at the simpler end today!) as show in the photo below:

post-6666-0-81248900-1363267904.jpg

It also rather handily fits on the Tomeytec TM-04 chassis that I've used on the Grinder, and will use on the 09 Tamper. Here is how the design stands so far.

David

post-6666-0-99935200-1363267875_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A bit further on now - I need to change the support cage and the satellite car (possibly the only railway object - cats excluded - that could be genuinely termed 'cute') as they are too narrow, the outer frames being too large, but its getting there. The support cage and the car will be printed separately, and the satellite will have dummy wheels so it could be set up in action with a man sat in it.

David

post-6666-0-00965400-1363298887_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-76213500-1363298890_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Work is keeping me too busy for much time with my hobbies again this week, but it was payday, so I have ordered the 09 Tamper prints now, which should keep me occupied for a while when they arrive.

I have managed to complete the RT100 inspection unit though, so here is how the digital fleet looks at present...

David

post-6666-0-42683400-1363870871_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks Simon!

Before I can get on with any detailing, first the unit needs wiring and levelling.

As the chassis has to be cut in two in order to fit into the bodyshell, I've built into the design a tunnel between the two voids, and have run wire through it and soldered it to the two halves of the chassis (only one bogie is powered on the Tomeytec chassis). This means the pick ups on the trailing bogie still conduct to the motor, giving a much smoother running.

post-6666-0-35654700-1364462614_thumb.jpg

Next up is making sure the slave unit is level with the powered unit. This is an issue as until I had the motor bogies in the master unit, I couldn't be exactly certain what depth the pivot for the dummy bogie on the slave had to be. As it stands, it's out by about 0.8mm - enough to annoy me, so I will file down the pivot then re glue it to the slave.

David

post-6666-0-27676700-1364462775_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

Spectacular work! 

Probably too late now (unless there are other master/slave unit you are planning) but could the bogie pivot could be moulded just as a central post next time, with various thicknesses of shim incorporated "inside" the body (and easy to remove) that could then be used as appropriate on the bogie pivot to allow for difficulties judging the running height?

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Ben, thats a terrific idea - I will ammend the design so that if anyone buys one there is a column and a set of varying thickness 'washers' to drop over it depending on what chassis you are using, to get the bogie level.

I was almost late for work at lunchtime as I got carried away modelling this morning. Tonight I hope to get the windows, horns and other details on, and file down the pivot so its more level. It runs well, despite me hacking the chassis in half with a saw!

David

• Like 1

A bit further on now, and the detailing on the master unit is almost complete. The roof aircon boxes should be painted white, but given my history with this yellow paint, I am loathe to touch it once I have a good finish so am leaving it be for the moment.

I managed to get the slave unit level, and I've ended up using bogie sides to represent the complex system of drop down wheels, levers and arms that sit underneath. Although wildly inaccurate, it works as it gives the impression of 'complex stuff' going on under there.

Tomorrow night I will apply windows, buffers and buffer beam details to the slave, and then start applying decals. I had to order some orange cant rail lining from Fox as I've run out, but the rest can be done using my self printed decals, of which there are about thirty!

David

post-6666-0-61216400-1364508247_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-35639100-1364508283_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-93477300-1364508350_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-79846800-1364508386_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I'm neither n scale nor modern image, but I recognise a work of art when I see one. The amount of work you put in is fantastic. I hope your yellow problems are a thing of the past now. :smileclear:

Amazing what a few decals can do to finish a model. This side of the master unit is now complete, starting on the windows and decals on the slave later.

Funny now many tiny warning signs there are on OTP, would be understandable given the potentially hazardous tasks they perform, if it weren't for the fact the whole bloody machine is bright warning yellow already! That might be a clue to suggest you need to be careful around it.

Still, they finish a model off nicely :)

David

post-6666-0-24253500-1364584298_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-24062500-1364584343_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-21398400-1364584386_thumb.jpg

• Like 9