3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

David, will there be any chance of scaling up the Kirow to 1/87 scale when ready? I don't mind cutting and modifying a bit . There was a kit available from a Dutch company, Kleinspoor, that I have wanted, but your's is a superior product. Congratulations!

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

As for scaling to OO, it's possible just not cost effective. As the print costs are based on volume, doubling the scale increases the volume of material used by a factor of eight, so a £50 print in N would cost £400 in OO. I've even had interest in scaling to O, but put them off when I explained it would cost over £3000!

David

As for scaling to OO, it's possible just not cost effective. As the print costs are based on volume, doubling the scale increases the volume of material used by a factor of eight, so a £50 print in N would cost £400 in OO. I've even had interest in scaling to O, but put them off when I explained it would cost over £3000!

David

Although I suppose that someone with the time to do a rework on the CAD, rather than just a x2 scale, could do this scale up but maintain the same wall thickness.  That way the cost would go up with the square of length rather than the cube (surface area rather than volume) - making the 00 model about £200.  Hmm, probably still too much.  I guess that they'll have to join us at the better scale :P

David

Not if you are keeping the required wall thicknesses. It depends upon the model but its usually nearer a factor of 5-6 so merely £250+ in OO.

Is £3000 for an O gauge one unreasonable given the price of O gauge wagons ;-)

Alan

Not if you are keeping the required wall thicknesses. It depends upon the model but its usually nearer a factor of 5-6 so merely £250+ in OO.

Is £3000 for an O gauge one unreasonable given the price of O gauge wagons ;-)

Alan

Hi Alan, you raise an interesting point - does anyone have any experiences of FUD in large thin pieces, such as you would have for an O gauge model? I am wondering what the material behaves like say 200x100mm but only 1mm thick. As it is quite brittle, I would imagine you would have to include a lot of structural support to go underneath it - probably over a plasticard or metal frame.

David

EM SAT is ready to print, but I'm waiting to get hold of another motor chassis for it first. I need to tweak the GRSM-R set first as someone ordered one and the Shapeways computer said no, despite having already printed it for me with no problem...

After that, it's a second pass on the Kirow, then the EMSAT, then I will probably go back and re do the 07 tamper...then probably stop for a while and concentrate on marketing the models. I cleared it with Andy on here, I'm launching a website to collate all the designs into one place, so you can click through to Shapeways to buy the prints, but also download PDFs of all the decal and glazing sheets to print at home. There is no additional financial benefit for me if anyone orders via my website or just goes straight to my Shapeways shop, but it will give a tidier, more professional feel to things.

Once the soft launch has gone okay, I will start a need thread in the small suppliers, and I will be hopefully doing a full launch with a stand at a certain modelling show near leamington in September...

David

• Like 3

I need to tweak the GRSM-R set first as someone ordered one and the Shapeways computer said no, despite having already printed it for me with no problem...

Ah that would be me then!

It will be great to get that sorted, I now have credit with Shapeways that needs spending!

Cheers,

Mark

Aha, hi Mark! Apparently one part of it is too thin to be printed bizarrely. I should have the file reloaded tomorrow evening, will let you know when it's done. Odd since its the same file I've already printed!

David

Might just have to relaunch my 07 tamper kit then ;-)

Or you could always get the design converted for 3D printing ;)

David

Hi Alan, you raise an interesting point - does anyone have any experiences of FUD in large thin pieces, such as you would have for an O gauge model? I am wondering what the material behaves like say 200x100mm but only 1mm thick. As it is quite brittle, I would imagine you would have to include a lot of structural support to go underneath it - probably over a plasticard or metal frame.

David

Well you are in part limited by the bounding box Shapeways allow but how it scales is more complicated - ideally it has other support but you can print girder type patterns on the inside of a wall of FUD rather than just thicken it.

Also as your size goes up you can do lots of the core stuff in WSF instead.

Well you are in part limited by the bounding box Shapeways allow but how it scales is more complicated - ideally it has other support but you can print girder type patterns on the inside of a wall of FUD rather than just thicken it.

Also as your size goes up you can do lots of the core stuff in WSF instead.

With a small amount of modifications you can normally change marerial both up and down scales-

2mm FUD can be printed 4mm WSF

4mm FUD can be printed 7mm WSF

Hi David

I have been awestruck :O  :O following this thread and thought it time I broke cover to say how inspirational it has been watching your progress.

I guess that as this technology is in it's infancy I can only hope that the costs reduce as the demand takes off and 4mm could become more of an option, as OTP for us with limited skills with kits    :banghead: isn't really an option, having said that though a fully finished & motorised PLASSER & THEURER 07-16 TAMPER is around the £350 mark in 4mm so perhaps already it is getting near par.

Keep the OTP coming, it's almost enough to convert me to the "dark side" of 2mm :O  :no:. Absolutely stunning work.

Paul