Football specials the small stations they served

The Football special faded and virtually vanished from the system by the early 90's. In earlier years literally hundreds would run each saturday and many mid week too. one unusual feature about the football specials was that they often served very small stations to off load thier football supporters, stations which rarely saw loco hauled stopping traffic. The reasons were ground proximity i suppose.

Be interesting to compose a list of smaller stations served by the football specials

Northumberland Park for Tottenham

Seaburn for Sunderland (Roker Park days)

Kings Park - Hampden park, Glasgow

a few samples, there must be manymore, contributions appreciated to record another chunk of railway history

rgds

NR

www.leightonlogs.org

Nick, that's a fascinating subject, and one that has faded into history. I have at home a wonderful book titled 'Getting There,' which is a 'fifties away supporters' guide to reaching football grounds. It lists public transport modes only, and therefore it has every appropriate station described, many of which no longer exist.

I'm looking forward to seeing this thread evolve before I dip into the pages of Getting There!

I'll just mention Wadsley Bridge that opened on match days for hillsborough, although it wasn't all that near. I saw a 47 stood at the platform there with a footex during my uni days and thought I was hallucinating. Much like this: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/wadsley_bridge/index2.shtml

Also, the short-lived and ugly looking (in both name and architecture) Ramsline Halt in Derby.

For a start there is St James Park in Exeter, though I don't have any details of true football specials running to there.

For the past couple of seasons though a normal passenger train has run on Saturdays Only starting from St James Park at 17.05

it is not a football special as it also calls at Exeter Central to pick up any passengers before terminating at Exeter St. Davids.

Ashton Gate platform on the Portishead Branch has in the past been used for specials for Bristol City games.

cheers

Hi Nick,

What a great topic to open up :)

yes, the footie special has sadly long gone

Although, the nearest station to my hometown club,

Cardiff City was closed for years....

The station being "Ninian Park Halt"

I do recall seing it open for specials only,

but not for regular public service

For some time, they parked condemned stock next to it

- usually DMU's and the odd coach...

It has been re-opened for a number of years now

and sees regular daily services

- handy for popping down to see the Bluebirds....

.... no wait, the Redbirds ;)

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Rock Ferry - once a 6 platform, 4 through and 2 bay, station, post 1967 it became a 2 (503) + 2 (DMU) bay with a through goods line, footex specials were worked into the old down fast, by then the goods line platform. These were in connection with Tranmere Rovers games.

Ninian Park Halt was opened during the early years of the 20th century,to cater for 'football excursions' run in conjunction with matches played at Ninian Park.

Ostensibly these were for cardiff City matches, but also included matches played by wales, usually during the late lamented 'Home Internationals' held at the end of each season.

This station never had a regular/advertised service until 1987 when the 'City Line' was opened to passenger traffic between Cardiff Central, Ninian Park, Waungron Park, Fairwater, Danescourt and Radyr.

Whilst the number of 'footexes' diminished, over the years, I don't think Ninian Park Halt ever actually 'closed' and can recall waiting for a Wolverhampton Wanderers 'special' to arrive for a night match circa 1990, and recall a near riot at Ninian Park in december 1993 when the 'Jacks' were the visitors, and I believe they came on an HST which was turned off the South Wales main line at Leckwith Jct.

For those who don't know the station, I enclose a shot taken on 26th May, 2005 of the newly outshopped 37411 on the 2V07 06:59 Rhymney - Radyr.

The proximity of Ninian Park can be seen, with the 'Bob Bank' terrace roof prominent - albeit shorn of its' famous 'Captain Morgan Rum' advert and by then advertising Brace's bread.

With the closure of Ninian Park and the move across Sloper Road to the Cardiff City Stadium, fans still use this station.

Brian R

post-1599-0-42927800-1351086681_thumb.jpg

Watford Stadium Halt on the Croxley Green branch was open only on matchdays, and it was only opened in the early 80's. I've used the Old Trafford station a couple of times in the 90's, is it still in use? I remember getting football specials to Mount Florida from Glasgow Central to go to Hampden for cup finals.

I recently came across a reference to Fallowfield being used for Manchester City, which really surprised me. My memory is so poor I can't remember where I saw it, but it was a handbill and I rather think the train started at Stalybridge or somewhere like that, calling at most stations to Fallowfield.

boothferry park hull was right behind the away end dont know what services used it tho
Excursions from away and a shuttle service from Paragon.

The halt was built solely to serve the football traffic on what was otherwise (normally Paul's photo above being the exception to prove the rule!) a freight only line...

Now gone of course: the Football club moved to the new KC Stadium in 2002/3, though the halt was not officially closed until a couple of years later. Of note early versions of the plans for the new stadium included a new halt on the Anlaby Road Curve, however it didn't materialise...

• RMweb Gold

there was "ramsline halt" in derby, the signs were still up a few years back

also bordesley in birmingham is only open on match day for city fans

chiltern still run footy specials, kind of, when there are events in wembley they run "club wembley" trains for (i think) wembley season ticket holders, they do run for all sorts of events, not just football games. i worked one the other month with a 67 and stock

Watford Stadium Halt on the Croxley Green branch was open only on matchdays, and it was only opened in the early 80's. I've used the Old Trafford station a couple of times in the 90's, is it still in use? I remember getting football specials to Mount Florida from Glasgow Central to go to Hampden for cup finals.

Yep, Manchester United FC Halt is still used and is probably still one of the best ways to get in and out of Old Trafford on a matchday, the Metrolink at Old Trafford is usually rammed, I've been on footexs to Wadsley Bridge, also Manors for Newcastle United, it wasn't unknown for trains to Liverpool to be stoped at Edge Hill and buses provided (there's a few stories to tell about those trips, but not on here!)

The wierdest one I can remember is Manchester Picadilly for Nottingham Forest's City ground! I was on a Footex from M/cr probably around 85/6 and as we were approaching Nottingham, a copper came round and announced that the match was off due to a waterlogged pitch and they were sending the train back to M/cr without stopping, which caused, shall we say, a few ribald comments as it wasn't even raining, but yeah that's exactly what happened with a run up past Toton, I was possibly the only one on that train who had any interest in the route back!

Great subject!

I can only recall (in the early 90's) very old EMU stock (I think Class 310's ??) in blue & grey coming through Birmingham New Street. They were full of Villa supporters, the station neareast the ground being Aston on the Cross City Line.

I thought Witton was the nearest station to Villa Park.

The original Wembley Stadium station on the long closed loop line was only opened when there was a cup final or other big match on at Wembley Stadium.

Here are some pictures; click on them to enlarge them and see the captions :

7769446086_db4d0b0a32_m.jpg

1961/05/06-03. 2-6-4T 42096 at Wembley Stadium. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

7769446662_21b253bfb5_m.jpg

1961/05/06-04. Wembley Stadium Station. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

7769448282_a6fcc8ca7b_m.jpg

1961/05/06-07. 2-6-4T arriving at Wembley Stadium. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

7769448816_0e9bc6c74a_m.jpg

1961/05/06-08. 42090 at Wembley Stadium. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

7755313088_19dd098f9a_m.jpg

1961-05-06.1. Up for the Cup! V2 class 2-6-2 60890 at Wembley Stadium. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

7769452318_9eca486ae2_m.jpg

1961/05/06-08a. Cup Final Tickets. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

This Wembley Stadium station is not to be confused with Chiltern Railway's current Wembley Stadium station which, at that time, was called Wembley Hill.

Once travelled on a Cardiff City 'footex' to Prittlewell for a 3rd Round F.A. Cup tie with Southend Utd. during the mid 1970s

Excellent journey around North London and the train contained one of the two or three then Canton based Met-Camm Pullmans, for the use of the players and officials !

Also remember travelling behind one of the Canton steam heat 37s on a Cardiff-Swindon 'footex' for a night match circa 1972.

About the same time a pair of Bristol based Cl.118 units were used to take us to Fratton for a Pompey game.

Moving very slightly OT - did anyone on here ever travel on the 'League Liner' ?

Brian R

Archived