SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

• RMweb Gold

These coaches have pickup bars on the bogies similar to those fitted to the Bachmann EMUs, with two prongs extending into the underside of the body.  On the EMUs these engage with copper tabs to conduct the current to the internal electronics.  However there are no copper tabs on these coaches as there are no electronics inside.

However these pickup bars do have an impact as I have discovered. I was reversing a 3-set into a station platform against an electrofrog point (my error) and was surprised that the leading coach's bogie caused the DCC system to trip. The pickup bars mean that the two wheels on each side of the bogie are electrically connected, so as soon as the bogie straddles the IRJ it's going to cause a short.

This brought to light another issue I'd noticed with DCC automation. When the bogie straddles the IRJ between two monitored blocks it's turning on the occupancy detector in both of them momentarily. Not actually causing an operational issue as far as I can see, but I didn't at first understand why these detectors kept coming on. Now I do.

It now looks very easy to create resistor wheelsets if need be, simply by adding a resistor across these pickups. Alternatively, the pickup bars look to be just screwed to the bogie side-frames, so if you have a small enough screwdriver it should be easy to remove them. 

I am waiting for them to arrive at the Swanage Railway shop now that there is a rail connection to Wareham. I will get 10% off with my life membership of the Railway which may be cheaper than getting them by mail order from shops further north as I will not have to pay postage. It also helps to support the local retailer and I will be able to examine the coaches before purchase.

• Like 1

These coaches have pickup bars on the bogies similar to those fitted to the Bachmann EMUs, with two prongs extending into the underside of the body.  On the EMUs these engage with copper tabs to conduct the current to the internal electronics.  However there are no copper tabs on these coaches as there are no electronics inside.

However these pickup bars do have an impact as I have discovered. I was reversing a 3-set into a station platform against an electrofrog point (my error) and was surprised that the leading coach's bogie caused the DCC system to trip. The pickup bars mean that the two wheels on each side of the bogie are electrically connected, so as soon as the bogie straddles the IRJ it's going to cause a short.

This brought to light another issue I'd noticed with DCC automation. When the bogie straddles the IRJ between two monitored blocks it's turning on the occupancy detector in both of them momentarily. Not actually causing an operational issue as far as I can see, but I didn't at first understand why these detectors kept coming on. Now I do.

It now looks very easy to create resistor wheelsets if need be, simply by adding a resistor across these pickups. Alternatively, the pickup bars look to be just screwed to the bogie side-frames, so if you have a small enough screwdriver it should be easy to remove them. 

Without having seen these coaches yet ( c'mon Hattons ! ) I can only surmise that the prongs are there for stability and you might find the coach flops to one side or t'other if they're removed !!?!

• RMweb Gold

Without having seen these coaches yet ( c'mon Hattons ! ) I can only surmise that the prongs are there for stability and you might find the coach flops to one side or t'other if they're removed !!?!

That had crossed my mind, but the prongs are not in contact with anything so perhaps are only adding a bit of weight to the bogie?

Nevertheless I've noticed the pickups are causing me a problem with automation (Traincontroller) as when the train leaves the station, and the engine enters the next block, the occupancy detector goes off and this triggers the signal to return to red. But the coach bogies are turning the detector back on momentarily which is causing the signal to go back to green a couple of times! 

However it looks as though fitting a resistor will be very simple, and it should be possible to simply wedge one on the underside of the bogie.  This will make a resistor wheelset out of the bogie and eliminate the problem, although now the signal won't go back to red until the whole train has passed. 

Guest spet0114

......... not forgetting the mysteriously omitted olive green Composite ..........

Composite production wasn't complete in time to make this month's shipment.

Where's the mystery?

• RMweb Gold

That's a good price.. I wonder if the other big retailer might try to match that to shift boxes?

Did you get any pictures from warley? I posted over in the H2 thread, am really keen to see!

http://www.rmweb.co....2017/?p=2936793

http://www.rmweb.co....2017/?p=2937191

Here’s a closer image..post-20773-0-60789800-1511729850_thumb.jpeg

I’m yet to order mine, but I’ve been told there selling out preorders very quick..

They look absolutely brilliant.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Composite production wasn't complete in time to make this month's shipment.

Where's the mystery?

........ mystery why the factory couldn't schedule what ought to be the simplest of three coaches at the same time as the others ............ presumably less of a mystery why Bachmann accepted a split delivery - as they wanted SOMETHING green and birdcage-ish on the shelves before Christmas ! ( or are they all sold out anyway ? )

Just received my 2 birdcage brakes in olive green this morning.  Surely there is too much lining on them?  Bachmann have lined everything door window openings, window frames (bolections?) etc.  I thought that only main panelling was lined not the window frames as well.

Anybody know what the correct lining should be? 

Tony.

The lining on the SR Birdcages is exactly how it should be.

........... but a simplified style might have been used in later 'Maunsell green' days : it certainly was on the steel-sided stock.

If that can be proved, then that is an option for Bachmann. Hornby's LSW rebuilds have no lining at all.

It should be remembered that in early SR days the 60 ft Birdcages were quite new, and some of the best

coaching stock, for general use, inherited from the SECR. so they got the full treatment on first SR overhaul.

If that can be proved, then that is an option for Bachmann. Hornby's LSW rebuilds have no lining at all.

It should be remembered that in early SR days the 60 ft Birdcages were quite new, and some of the best

coaching stock, for general use, inherited from the SECR. so they got the full treatment on first SR overhaul.

Well, yes the lining was simplified out of existence by the time the 58' rebuilds appeared - so there was almost certainly a range of lining variations across such a large ( by Southern standards ) class of vehicles before any sets received plain malachite ............................ but, with Mr.Hilter's intervention, there's a fair chance some sets went straight from some variant of Maunsell green to B.R. red.

[ Proof ? ....... yes, always work from a dated photograph of your chosen prototype .................................... or if you can't find one ( as usual ) invoke Rule 1 ]

• Like 1

In case anyone missed it, Hattons have the Olive green brake ends in stock now too.

..... apart from the pair they sent me yesterday .......... which seem to have got to Warrington Mail Centre just before midnight and ............................................................................................ ................................................................................... .................................................................................................. ................................................................................ and haven't been updated since ............................................

Some detail photographs of these exquisite coaches. 'Olive Green' does seem to be a rather moveable feast however, depending upon which manufacturer presents it. Not a great problem though.

24869362548_3c9dbff6cd_z.jpg

38025646984_906697e395_z.jpg

38025646074_df71c2c7ea_z.jpg

24869358398_100eeee654_z.jpg

24869358878_e2490f2dcb_z.jpg

38025647594_c4f065243f_z.jpg

24869360228_077780b1f9_z.jpg

24869359168_61f1d61153_z.jpg

24869360988_d40db4b5cc_z.jpg

Some very fine detail and printing. I look at these and remember how far we have come since Graham Farish released their OO 'Southern' coaches. These are not cheap certainly, but does that make them expensive? I think not.

Tony

• Like 10

Some detail photographs of these exquisite coaches. 'Olive Green' does seem to be a rather moveable feast however, depending upon which manufacturer presents it. Not a great problem though.

24869362548_3c9dbff6cd_z.jpg

38025646984_906697e395_z.jpg

38025646074_df71c2c7ea_z.jpg

24869358398_100eeee654_z.jpg

24869358878_e2490f2dcb_z.jpg

38025647594_c4f065243f_z.jpg

24869360228_077780b1f9_z.jpg

24869359168_61f1d61153_z.jpg

24869360988_d40db4b5cc_z.jpg

Some very fine detail and printing. I look at these and remember how far we have come since Graham Farish released their OO 'Southern' coaches. These are not cheap certainly, but does that make them expensive? I think not.

Tony

Lovely pix ! ........ my coaches are out for delivery - an' I'm drooling already ....

'Olive' green was never an official term and the Southern colours have been described as 'anything from olive to sage green - or anything else up the garden path' - or words to that effect : implying that the viewer's impression was variable rather than, necessarily, the colour as applied ( Which probably DID vary between hand-mixed batches in different workshops over time. )

The difinitive fully revised H.M.R.S. Southern Railway Livery Register should be available shortly ..........

• Like 4

I bought the last two Southern birdcage coaches from my local shop on a preserved railway for £116.92 including a 10% discount. This was slightly more expensive than getting them from Hattons for £114.42 including postage. It was a pantomime getting the coaches. I asked them when they had come out. Answer "don't know" Then I asked how many they had in. Answer "don't know." I had to point them out in the display case. Then the bar code had not been entered in the computer. The assistants began tugging one coach box like a Christmas cracker. After about ten minutes they managed to get it through the till and I did not think I would ever get out. Then someone had wrapped a hose round the exit to the platform so I had to go to the far end to get back. Come back Hattons all is forgiven.

I was hoping that the coaches would give a new lease of life for my Wrenn R1. Unfortunately it was a second hand one and the rear coupling had been glued on and the coupling fell off as soon as I attached it to the coaches. The Bachmann E4 was in better shape and with the coaches would look right on the Bluebell Line. I am not sure if the R1 ever pulled the birdcage coaches but it was in the right area.

post-17621-0-08275500-1512050698_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-10150600-1512050794_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-18515900-1512050838_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-12440800-1512050884_thumb.jpg

• Like 6