SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

• RMweb Gold

This might sound an odd question, but does the middle coach face round a particular way with respect to the brakes?

I could not find anything, but you never know.

In my respect  yes!! One end of my middle coach has a Roco coupling (which mates with the Hornby Roco coupling on the leading coach) whilst the other end of the middle coach has a Hornby Roco coupling to mate with the Roco coupling on the trailing coach. :boast:  :yes: .

Keith

This might sound an odd question, but does the middle coach face round a particular way with respect to the brakes?

I could not find anything, but you never know.

Several miles back on this thread you'll find reference to https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SECR-tank-engines/i-6WWHvCq/A ........... you should be able to figure out which way round the Composite goes from this.

Several miles back on this thread you'll find reference to https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SECR-tank-engines/i-6WWHvCq/A ........... you should be able to figure out which way round the Composite goes from this.

If the Non-Lavatory Brake Third is on the left and the Lavatory Brake Third is on the right then the first class end of the Composite is to the left.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In my respect  yes!! One end of my middle coach has a Roco coupling (which mates with the Hornby Roco coupling on the leading coach) whilst the other end of the middle coach has a Hornby Roco coupling to mate with the Roco coupling on the trailing coach. :boast:  :yes: .

Keith

Bingo, thanks Chris, I've got mine the correct way round!!

Keith

I think what I shall do is put small stickers underneath with arrows drawn on them. I used to do that on multiple units before there were clear indications of the orientation of the vehicles on their undersides. In the case of the MUs, I added numbers as well; no need on these.

• Like 1

I think what I shall do is put small stickers underneath with arrows drawn on them. I used to do that on multiple units before there were clear indications of the orientation of the vehicles on their undersides. In the case of the MUs, I added numbers as well; no need on these.

I tend to do much the same, but I use a paint marker pen to do the arrows. It's only certain EMUs and fixed coach sets that need this treatment. For example, with Bachmann's 4 CEP units, I know the correct order and orientation of by heart, but Hornby's VEP units need the driving trailers placed at the right ends. My new centre trailer for the 3H unit (ex-2H) also needs this treatment.

The SR tended to have particular orientations for their sets, with the first class end of composite coaches always at the same end in relation to the two adjacently numbered brake coaches in 3-sets, but I can never remember off-hand which way that should be. One of these days I'll get around to marking the undersides with arrows as above. It is a useful technique for such fixed sets to assist us in getting them right. :)

Bachmann has helpfully taken to lettering the vehicles in its 350s and 450s with capital letters. Assemble in alphabetical order and with the letters the same way up and all is well. I think it was the 4-CEP where there was a diagram in the instructions showing how the vehicles should be arranged. In an attempt to help, the descriptions were moulded onto the bases. I found that the lights only worked when one of the moulded descriptions was upside down. I’m glad Bachmann thought up something better!

Back to birdcages. They also ran with standards, here a BR 3MT (I have not found any pictures of birdcages with a 3MT but 4MT was common enough) and a Brighton built Fairburn 4MT. Below some pics:

Overall compared with the LSWR Maunsell rebuilds, the overall quality is about the same. Bachmann have better painted interiors (though Hornby have painted some interior parts as well I believe) but this is really redundant on tightly packed small windows, you certainly will not notice the two different seat colours running on a layout. It is hard to justify the price difference except for the fact that Hornby reuse their standard Maunsell coach chassis whereas Bachmann have tooled up the lot from scratch.

Still some very nice coaches from both makes.

post-15098-0-72964100-1507151301_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-43087900-1507151320_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Back to birdcages. They also ran with standards, here a BR 3MT (I have not found any pictures of birdcages with a 3MT but 4MT was common enough) and a Brighton built Fairburn 4MT. Below some pics:

Overall compared with the LSWR Maunsell rebuilds, the overall quality is about the same. Bachmann have better painted interiors (though Hornby have painted some interior parts as well I believe) but this is really redundant on tightly packed small windows, you certainly will not notice the two different seat colours running on a layout. It is hard to justify the price difference except for the fact that Hornby reuse their standard Maunsell coach chassis whereas Bachmann have tooled up the lot from scratch.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The Standard 3 Tanks were never very numerous and those few which found a home on the Southern rarely, if ever, strayed from the South Western - while the Birdcages rarely, if ever, strayed from South Eastern or Brighton metals .......... they might have met occasionally at, say, Guildford or Reading - but coupling as a train would have been rare indeed ( Other than in the NEAR parallel world of Rule 1, of course ! ).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Am I looking at a model railway in the kitchen ? (Looks like the kitchen sink in the top corner),

Good man !

- anyone got one in the bathroom ?

• RMweb Gold

The Standard 3 Tanks were never very numerous and those few which found a home on the Southern rarely, if ever, strayed from the South Western - while the Birdcages rarely, if ever, strayed from South Eastern or Brighton metals .......... they might have met occasionally at, say, Guildford or Reading - but coupling as a train would have been rare indeed ( Other than in the NEAR parallel world of Rule 1, of course ! ).

Around a third of the total of 45 built (82010-25) were allocated new to 72A Exmouth Junction. Although 82021/2 stayed only very briefly the rest remained until 1962, being then transferred to Eastleigh and Nine Elms by which time all the birdcage stock had gone. Later, examples from other regions came to the SR to eke out their lives at Nine Elms etc. so were quite numerous on the SR compared to other regions. 

Am I looking at a model railway in the kitchen ? (Looks like the kitchen sink in the top corner),

Good man !

Ok i have been caught! I have the old kitchen sink and - more importantly - the old bar in the train room. Very handy to have amenities close by.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good man !

Didn't someone once model the "Loo" (sic) branch on a toilet seat.  Probably about as safe as it gets to  modelling in the little room.

Didn't someone once model the "Loo" (sic) branch on a toilet seat.  Probably about as safe as it gets to  modelling in the little room.

I confess, In my photos above, you can see a door behind the sink. That is a little room. Could house a nice 00-9 layout.

Finally got to see the samples at the weekend? BR livery, ok if you like that sort of thing. SR livery, very nice indeed. SECR livery? Dear god, what were they thinking? I really hope that what I saw was the original sample, and not the re-thought livery. If mine turn up that colour, there will be a set on ebay the following day.....

• RMweb Premium

Finally got to see the samples at the weekend? BR livery, ok if you like that sort of thing. SR livery, very nice indeed. SECR livery? Dear god, what were they thinking? I really hope that what I saw was the original sample, and not the re-thought livery. If mine turn up that colour, there will be a set on ebay the following day.....

One could always repaint them in a colour of one's choice.

Why, what's wrong with it?

• RMweb Gold

Why, what's wrong with it?

Yes,I'm puzzled by this too.I atm cannot recall such forthright comment on the livery of these forthcoming releases.Perhaps someone could refresh my memory ? Otherwise on the face of it this is a disturbing critique and one that needs an answer from the member concerned please.