Bachmann hall

B15nac

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I have recently bought a second hand Bachmann St Edmund Hall (32-002). I was interested to see that it is modelled with a fire iron tunnel on the fireman's side of the loco. I knew all the modified halls had fire iron tunnels, but I didn't realise that some of the 'normal' halls had them too. Does anyone know which 'normal' halls did had them? Thanks in advance!

• RMweb Gold

I have recently bought a second hand Bachmann St Edmund Hall (32-002). I was interested to see that it is modelled with a fire iron tunnel on the fireman's side of the loco. I knew all the modified halls had fire iron tunnels, but I didn't realise that some of the 'normal' halls had them too. Does anyone know which 'normal' halls did had them? Thanks in advance!

5920 onwards had them fitted from when built.

• 7 months later...

Notice that Kernow are showing...

'32-002A Bachmann Hall Class Steam Locomotive number 4971 named "Stanway Hall" in BR Black livery with early emblem and weathered finish.

New release - pre-orders invited - expected January 2019 '

How does this model compare with the Hornby Railroad Hall?

• RMweb Gold

Notice that Kernow are showing...

'32-002A Bachmann Hall Class Steam Locomotive number 4971 named "Stanway Hall" in BR Black livery with early emblem and weathered finish.

New release - pre-orders invited - expected January 2019 '

How does this model compare with the Hornby Railroad Hall?

The Hornby is an underrated model but then it has not been produced in BR black.Earlier Bachmann versions were indifferent performers for sure and with added weight the Hornby Hall is perhaps a better performer but again this divides opinion.Pay money and make choice which may be an easy decision given the increasing gap between each version in that respect.

IMHO,given its age,Bachmann’s version no longer presents value for money.I am personally tempted by the post war GWR Hall expected soon but given the undoubted fact that the same tooling seems to have doubled in cost since its introduction a decade or so ago,I will exercise self control and pass on this one.The Hall and Modified Hall do not belong in Barwell’s Hall of Fame...at least for this forum member.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Better detail wise but you're paying for it.I have them both and love them equally. The Railroad model can have the added detail with some modelling, it runs nicely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In my mind appearence is everything.

In that sense the paint quality of Bachmanns is very good and a to me, a truer green.

I was dissapointed with 4965 Rood Ashton Hall from Hornby in BR green, for the same reasons as the King.. the paint was faded green.

Adderley hall is much the same minus the black lining, and gold trim etc.

If your happy with that, than as a model itself fine, the Railroad one is a bargain at £50 from hattons, though i could never replicate a decent paint job myself..

But if you want the nice paint job, Bachmann is the better one.

Hornby could chose to put the same quality finish as the Castles and it would redeem itself.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

What's happened to the Modified Hall.

Am I right in thinking that the errors on the front end were not corrected?

The problem here was that the chassis was designed for the original hall with no recess for the Modified hall. All that would be needed is changing the chassis to allow for the modified hall and having the extra 'infill' material as part of the running plate on the original hall. Or (at this stage) tooling a new chassis block for the modified hall.

• RMweb Gold

What's happened to the Modified Hall.

Am I right in thinking that the errors on the front end were not corrected?

The problem here was that the chassis was designed for the original hall with no recess for the Modified hall. All that would be needed is changing the chassis to allow for the modified hall and having the extra 'infill' material as part of the running plate on the original hall. Or (at this stage) tooling a new chassis block for the modified hall.

The basic chassis block from the original Hall was used, so despite tooling up a completely new footplate casting (as well as the new body tooling), it was compromised by the chassis block which has a fixing screw in the area between the plate frames at the front.

For Bachmann to fix, they would need to tool up a new chassis block and a new footplate, so a fair bit of expense would be required.  Unless Hornby (or A N  Other) were to announce that they were bringing out a modified hall in 4mm scale, I cant see them fixing it any time soon.  It doesn't explain why there are the two raised lumps (oil panel covers?) on the curved sections either side of the frame extensions (which should only be on a standard Hall).  This was just sloppy design work by Bachmann not checking to drawings / photos wen they tooled up the new footplate...

Its a shame as if they had considered it at the design stage of the standard Hall, a good designer would have considered the future expansion of the tooling and located the retaining screw elsewhere.....

I've done the Brassmasters conversion on mine, makes a huge difference.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Better detail wise but you're paying for it.I have them both and love them equally. 

Here is the new release 32-007 up close and personal. I've been told the chimney is the one off their modified Hall and is incorrect for the Collett Hall in this livery.

post-126-0-68449700-1548347346_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Ironic that,Robin,considering Brassmaster conversion kit for it being necessary.Do they produce a suitable chimney for 4920 ?

Yes, they sell the one from the Martin Finney kit as a separate item.

• RMweb Gold

Here is the new release 32-007 up close and personal. I've been told the chimney is the one off their modified Hall and is incorrect for the Collett Hall in this livery.

attachicon.gifDSCN4786 (3).JPG

Is that missing the Capuchon ? (The raised part on the front of the Chimney ?)

I recall the copper caps on Bachmann locos are a separate fit anyway, and will remove with a twist ?

A bit sorry for the loco, I remember reading the pocket book sized mags about 4920’s overhaul as a kid.

Its spent a lot of time sitting outside, more than it was in Barry.

This was it 7 years back (not Mine), cant imagine time has been kind since, but i cant find much recent info about it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38771725@N05/7046122251/

I hope when they do get on with it, that the lagging under the boiler was removed 20 years back, and the chimney was blocked off, to keep the damp out.

Edited by adb968008

Is that missing the Capuchon ? (The raised part on the front of the Chimney ?)

I recall the copper caps on Bachmann locos are a separate fit anyway, and will remove with a twist ?

A bit sorry for the loco, I remember reading the pocket book sized mags about 4920’s overhaul as a kid.

Its spent a lot of time sitting outside, more than it was in Barry.

This was it 7 years back (not Mine), cant imagine time has been kind since, but i cant find much recent info about it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38771725@N05/7046122251/

I hope when they do get on with it, that the lagging under the boiler was removed 20 years back, and the chimney was blocked off, to keep the damp out.

Gosh! That’s worse than one of the poorer Hornby finishes (which, I hope, we are leaving behind). Poor old thing.  :(

Personally, i have stuck with the Railroad. With change out of £50, I can justify after sales parts to bring up my requirements. The Bachmann is too expensive to justify having to spend even more cash and hack about.

Luckily I have kit building skills and neither Hornby/Bachmann look as good or can haul long trains as my Nucast Halls (and you can build them as Saint Martin). Not as good as the Finney but too good to replace).

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie